Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Brake lights stuck on..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Brake lights stuck on..?

Hey All,

An electrical gremlin reared its ugly head today. Realized as I'm pulling in to get gas my turn signals are out. Then realized brake lights are out as well. Went back home to check. Fuse was blown so I replaced it. Instantly blew it again. Ok.. ride over and started digging into it. After unplugging turn signals, brake lights, and checking turn signal switch plugged it all back in, replaced fuse and doesn't blow. Now it seems brake lights wont shut off. Turn signals function. Check both brake signal switches as per manual and both seem to be functioning. (pulled rear one out to test). Now I'm kind of lost. I can't be 100% positive that brake lights are stuck on, but seem to be. Any thoughts? I do have aftermarket led bulbs that flash briefly went brakes are applied. Thought they might be doing something. I put in old bulbs and same issue. Electrical is not my best subject but i do have a multi-meter.

thanks for looking...
Old 07-08-2018, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
R/R?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
I"ve had an issue with my rear brake light switch wherein the lever doesn't return far enough to disengage the switch, brake light stays on. Switch is fine, just doesn't turn off. The cause for me is the adjustment of the switch. You might take a look at the switch mounting and see if it needs adjustment. It might need to be re-positioned, either up or down a little.

Alan
Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses.. Found it. A broken wire from my install of a rear turn signal elimination harness thing from 18 years ago.. On to the next thing...thx