Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bolts sheared off slave cylinder - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Squid

NewGuy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bolts sheared off slave cylinder - HELP

Hey there,
My apologies this is my first time working on a motorcycle....

Today I changed the stator and R&R on my 98 Superhawk.
After replacing the stator I bolted the left crankcase back on w/ new gasket then went to bolt the clutch slave cylinder back in place but it was hard to push back on. My friend said that the piston was spring loaded, so that last little bit should be harder to push tight. He pushed the clutch slave cylinder flush and tightened the three bolts (25 lbs torque per manual). We changed that R&R, filled with oil (3.9 liters) and started it. The bike started great, I engaged the clutch after starting and it fell sponging and weird, I looked down and saw my clutch slave cylinder dangling, bolts on the ground. All three bolts sheared and shot out!
What did I do wrong? Has anyone ever had this happen? Do you have any idea what potential damage I did?
Thanks in advance
Chris

ps like I said this was my first project, please let me know if I'm not explaining something well or I'm using the incorrect term.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
These 3 bolts that hold the clutch slave?

Looking at 5-6lbs/ft of torque - tight plus a bit. Remove broken studs, order new bolts and try again
Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 AM
Squid

Yes those three, is that really what it was, too much torque? Thanks for your reply, I must have been looking at the torque for the oil bolt in the steps on the next page. So you would assume no damage was done shearing those bolts and just replace?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 AM
SuperBike

Careful removing the broken studs as the sprocket cover is magnesium*. Might be an idea with the luck your having to take it too a workshop to have them professionally removed before more damage is caused.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Squid

tillyhawkrider is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid I must agree with Wicky on his suggestion to take it to a shop and have the
professionals do the repairs. You don't seem to be having much luck and it is easy to muck
the broken bolt removal up.That would be unfortunate as it would require heli-coiling the threads back in the case. It isn't rocket science, but if you aren't familiar with the process
it can easily go from a bad situation to even worse. You could get lucky though! Check to see if the broken bolts will just back out using a a very small screw driver or a scribe. If the bolts didn't bottom out they may just screw right back out. In which case you can just pick up replacement bolts from your local Honda stealer(they will stick one in you) and your back in business and back on the road.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Squid

Hey thanks for the comments!
I took the magnesium plate off today and managed to remove the sheared bolts. I'm going to keep reading my manual but so far it seems that I could reinstall the magnesium cover and reinstall the slave cylinder with new bolts and new gasket.
The questions I have are whether I may have damaged the slave cylinder or rod now and how to check . Also if you think I'm going to have to bleed the clutch now since I failed to engage the clutch and secure it before removing the slave cylinder. Basically can you think of anything I should check or do before putting back together?
Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
SuperBike

Good news the broken studs came out without to much problem. While its all apart check the seals and slave cylinder bore for scratches from grit - You can buy slave seal/s if needed. Reassemble with new bolts and bleed the hydraulics with recommended fluid remembering to top up the reservoir little and often. Method I use is to draw it through using a catheter syringe and hose at the bleed nipple.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Squid

Thanks for the help, I'm back up and running!