Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

battery question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
v2n
Squid

v2n is on a distinguished road
battery question

I noticed my battery getting weak. It barely turned the motor over this morning on the way to work. I pulled it out when I got home and noticed it is an everstart. I didn't find a date on it. Was just wondering how long a typical battery like this will last? I'm not sure when this one was put in from the original owner.

One other note, it was sizzling hot when I took it out.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
If you're lucky you'll get 5yrs. If you think it's the bat and not a bad cable connection (that includes the ground connection) then just replace it ...

If it was boiling over you likely have a regulator issue. Look carefully at the connections on the RR, clean them as best you can but it sounds like you'll be needing to replace it at the same time...
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

If the battery was sizzlin' hot to the touch, you might want to check up on your regulartor/rectifier if they are functioning properly.
I had fried the ECU along with the battery due to malfunctioning reg/rec on my CB-1 a while ago..
Old 08-25-2006, 06:58 AM
v2n
Squid

Yeah, it was waaay too hot to touch. I had to get a rag to pull it out with. It almost look liked some of the label on the front of the battery had melted too, i don't know, maybe it had just rubbed off. It wasn't boiling over, but I could it hear it boiling/sizzling.

So I've noticed at night when I'm driving that my headlight will occasionally get extremely bright when it's on dim. If it's on bright, it will get super bright. It does this for maybe 10 seconds and then it seems to go back to normal. Is this a sign of a bad R/R? I might go ahead and replace it since I have the battery out. I sure don't want to fry my ECU.

BTW, it's a '98.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Squid

Hawker99 is on a distinguished road
Really sounds like volt r/r. I agree with replace battery and volt r/r. Cheap investment or insurance for other things.
I would assume you have stock r/r. Lots written about upgrade. Mine died about a month ago. Luckly it was on low side and not high side.
Bought new one from Ricks on East cost. < $100 and it has cooling fins.

Good luck
Old 08-25-2006, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
If you do replace the r/r get one from an '02 or later with the cooling fins - the 98-01 are known to fail. One other suggestion is use one from another manufacturer, do a search and you will find info on this procedure.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 PM
v2n
Squid

Thanks, I did find some info on the site. After I got home, I checked the voltage across the battery while it was out of the bike (13.5 V) and then I checked it in the bike (14.6 V). I also checked the terminal on the rectifier and it looked good. Didn't looked burned like one guys did. I'll take my chances for now.

Here are a couple of pics I took during the process.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by v2n
Thanks, I did find some info on the site. After I got home, I checked the voltage across the battery while it was out of the bike (13.5 V) and then I checked it in the bike (14.6 V). I also checked the terminal on the rectifier and it looked good. Didn't looked burned like one guys did. I'll take my chances for now.

Here are a couple of pics I took during the process.
Don't ignore the symptoms!

Here are two good articles I found on this subject.

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/.../dead_reg.html
http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm

Test the battery under load (lights, start button)
Maybe bad cell(s)

Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:09 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Hummm, maybe I shouldn't say this but I'm still running the original battery in my '98. I'm also really lazy and let it run completely dead each winter (basically I do everything you're NOT supposed to do). A overnight trickle charge and everything is good again. It's my yearly ritual.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a battery tender. Attach the leads on to the battery then plug the quick connect plug when your not riding the bike. Disconnect the plug right before you go riding and your battery will always be at full charge, even during the cold months.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM
SuperBike

I don't bother with a tender. Mine stays charged enough to last a month or so. Most winters I get to ride that often so it's not an issue. Some times (like the past two winters) when it's sitting for 3 months it still just takes a small charge to get it going.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Squid

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Funny this should be posted now.

In the last few days my battery has suddenly stopped holding charge and unable to turn the engine over unless I charge it on a battery charger.

Took a look at my rectifier a couple of hours ago, and look a what I found......

Name:  burned.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  133.2 KB

Close up:

Name:  burned-close.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  160.4 KB

Anyone beat that

Methinks, it may be the problem.

Comments?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tempest
Funny this should be posted now.

In the last few days my battery has suddenly stopped holding charge and unable to turn the engine over unless I charge it on a battery charger.

Took a look at my rectifier a couple of hours ago, and look a what I found......

Close up:

Anyone beat that

Methinks, it may be the problem.

Comments?
Seems you made a hole,, and let the smoke out.. Very bad for an elec device to let the smoke out. Find a new one with the Extra heavy duty smoke.

I've been looking for a replacment R/R...To avoid your issue Lots of choices, now I just need to win an auction.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
SuperBike

I thought it was magic smoke? That's what all of the Sparky's (Electrical Engineers) that I work with call it. Maybe the magic stuff is better...
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
v2n
Squid

Whoa, cool picture TX.

So I've read some of the other threads upon batteries and it looks like Deka, Westco and Yuasa are some of the more popular AGM batteries. My question: are these batteries sealed, ready to go out of the box? I bought an Everstart yesterday, but I don't like the idea of having to fill it myself with the electrolyte and charging. It seems susceptible to boil overs. What is the advantage of this? Other than longer shelf life in the store...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

AGM batteries or sealed lead acid batteries are completely sealed. You may want to put it on a trickle charge to make sure its fully charged but other than that they are ready to go right out of the box. Do some shopping around, I have seen varied prices on the same model battery when I was looking for a replacement for the shop jump and carry (booster pac) I don't recall the website I bought it through though...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Filling a new battery takes 1 minute, then 10-15 minutes of waiting, then another minute. After that, you charge it and your done. I didn't like the idea either. Then I did it, and now I realize how simple it was.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
v2n
Squid

Not too worried about filling and charging it, I just don't want the thing dripping acid on my frame. There's a gray colored stain just in front of the back tire on my frame and pipe from some thing. I'm suspecting it may have been acid. That's the only reason I'm concerned about flooded batteries.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 AM
SuperBike

I haven't seen an AGM battery leak but under extreme conditions (like overcharging by a bad r/r) anything is possible... usually you can mount them in any position without worry. I never liked the wet batteries but like Scooberhawk said its not that big of a deal to do it but watch for acid drips
Old 08-30-2006, 05:41 AM
v2n
Squid

I picked up an Xtreme AGM battery yesterday from Batteries Plus. Haven't installed it yet, but we'll see how it works. Hopefully my R/R will behave.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Originally Posted by v2n
I picked up an Xtreme AGM battery yesterday from Batteries Plus. Haven't installed it yet, but we'll see how it works. Hopefully my R/R will behave.
I've been using the Xtreme AGMs from Batteries Plus since I have a dealer a few miles from me - great prices, not had any problems with them.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM
v2n
Squid

That's good to hear! Have you had one long enough to know how long it last? BTW, I picked up a charger yesterday too for the lawn mower and for using this winter doing trickle charges on the hawk.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Just a somewhat unrelated question.

What kind of issue would placing a battery on its side when in the bike?...reason I am asking is that I am changing the whole set up of my bike and built the battery tray to fit but I would prefer to have it on its side for a more compact look. If this is an issue any one know of a battery with the same specs but just physically smaller?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
v2n
Squid

The guy at Battery Plus told me the Xtreme could be used in any position except upside down. I assume that's the same for all AGM batteries, but I doubt that's documented anywhere??
Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
SuperBike

My understanding is that the stock gel-cell batteries can be installed in any orientation. That's handy with all of the wheelies the VTR likes to do!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Les
Squid

Les
Replace your regulator. Advice from an electrical engineer.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
My XR250L mounts the battery on its side. It is also a AGM battery.

Untill recently I had two VTRs. Both 1998s and both were using the original battery. This summer I replaced the battery in the streetfighter. Wow... 9 years. The stock VTR battery has been the longest lived motorcycle battery I have ever owned.

From Westco's website... "Should longer service life be expected from an AGM battery?
Yes.
- The main reason wet batteries fail is due to the fact that water levels are not properly monitored coupled with the fact that they are not very vibration resistant. AGM batteries do not have to be constantly maintained and are much more resistant to both heat and vibration, which is why they offer longer service life. "

I replaced it with a Westco (12V12-B) Battery from www.westcobattery.com. $63.81 including shipping and sales tax.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Squid

omniouslink is on a distinguished road
I had my wiring harness right at the plug fry

When I got my hawk the guy who had it told me it had a new battery but it still goes dead after riding for a few minuets. Well it turned out to be the three yellow stator wires coming into the regulator. I replaced the regulator and stator from my parts bike and spliced into the wire to fix where it was fried. simple fix and it gave me a great deal on my bike.
I've never been lucky enough for a battery to last more than 2 years on may of my bikes. maybe Im to ruff on them. or mabey its because I buy the cheap ones from batterys plus. What brand is your stock battery that got 5 years?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

It's Yusa brand I think. I've found the Gel-cell types to last a lot longer than the old wet plate ones.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
v2n
Squid

It's been awhile since I've posted, but thought I'd share an update. After a few trips out on the bike with the new Xtreme battery from batteries plus, I pulled into the garage one night to an awful smell of rotten eggs (sulfuric gas). Turns out even the AGM battery was boiling over. It was dripping slightly and fried. Wouldn't even start the bike again.

Ordered an r/r from Mike's electronics ($95). Delivered in 4 days and Batteries plus even gave me a new battery under warranty, which I thought was nice because I told them I thought the bike had overcharged it. Everything seems to good with the new r/r and battery.