Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Battery cable replacement question

Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Battery cable replacement question

Hey, I want to replace the standard battery connections with a quick disconnect type like this:

Battery Accessories - Ballistic Performance Components

My question is I went and bought some what I got told was 8 gauge but looks fairly skinny more like 10 gauge, but when I pulled the neg and pos wires from the bike the wires are significantly larger. Should I go and buy the same size wire as is in there or is 10 gauge wire ok for these batteries and bikes?

I don't have a wire size gauge so not sure how to tell what size they are, here is a pic to show better what I mean.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
hard to tell what you have there.

I see a relative size with insulation, but not wire strand count or cross section size.
8 gauge fine wire marine grade tinned , primary wire is what I use for the very short runs this bike has.. if they were longer I'd go to 6ga
Made by ANCOR
Sold at marine supply stores.
Like West marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UYsZfrWG2So

You can use this tool
http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/#
to est wire gage need based on using fine wire Type 3 primary cable.

tell it the conductor length and the amperage your needing to move.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Squid

Ok thanks for the help and links I will check them out.

The smaller wire has less strands but they are defiantly thicker in cross section while the larger wire that was on the bike has lots of smaller strands.

So even if it is a smaller dia. wire with fewer strands the thicker cross section of each strand will still give it the same rating as a thicker wire with lots of the small dia. strands then? So and 8 gauge thick strand wire will be thinner than a 8 gauge thin strand wire?

I can post a pic of the two wires if it would help.

Last edited by Mikael; 05-09-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Why do you want the quick disconnect? Just wondering.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mikael
Ok thanks for the help and links I will check them out.

The smaller wire has less strands but they are defiantly thicker in cross section while the larger wire that was on the bike has lots of smaller strands.

So even if it is a smaller dia. wire with fewer strands the thicker cross section of each strand will still give it the same rating as a thicker wire with lots of the small dia. strands then? So and 8 gauge thick strand wire will be thinner than a 8 gauge thin strand wire?

I can post a pic of the two wires if it would help.

Uh... No... Yes... You are getting yourself confused here...

What matters is the total cross section of conductive material... In the most basic way of looking at things... Yes there are "better" ways to calculate the rating, and the strand size makes a difference in the electrical conductivity... But never mind that... It's not that important...

What is important is that fine stranded wires are a lot easier to bend, and doesn't snap when you bend them multiple times... Thick stranded wire like the one you have is a PITA to work with, as it refuses to bend, and once it does it's even less willing to bend back in the same place leaving you with a whole lot of "S" bends... And if you bend it enough times, which you will do with a quick disconnect, it plain and simple snaps in half inside the insulator... Not at all a good idea...

Get the correct gauge wire, fine stranded, nothing else... It's soo much easier to deal with on the bike, and it's a good deal easier to crimp the terminals on it when you are putting the quick disconnects together...

BTW unless you have access to proffessional crimp tools, as in $500 or more in tools alone, crimp AND solder to keep the crimp intact, and reduce resistance buildup through corrosion... Just a tip from someone who works with this type of things on a daily basis... It's whole lot less work doing it rigth to begin with than fixing the mess afterwards...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Squid

Ah ok thanks Tweety that makes sense and as electrical is not my strong area I will definitely take your word on it

Putting a quick disconnect on my dirt bike as I don't ride it enough to keep the battery hooked up all the time, thought I would put one one the Hawk as well, make it easier to unhook the battery for storage or during long periods when not in use.