Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bar end weights

Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Bar end weights

Hi I lost a bar end weight the other day on a ride because the po put inproper grips on so I couldn't since down the weight without locking the throttle in position. The weights in the bar are still intact. Was wondering if anyone has used Black Vibration Reducing Bar Ends Heavy Weighted Handlebar Slugs Honda | eBay

any weights like that or if you know of some aftermarket producers of bar end weights. I had some lying around from a honda atv i had years ago but they didn't fit. Thank you in advance. Also is there any difference between oem weights and these 10 oz replacements? More weight more stable? Or should I just bite the bullet and order some from the local shop. 24 dollars for 1 side.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
A bit cheaper here than $24

03 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk 1000 Bar End Weights | eBay
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Squid

I saw a post about the ebay weights but its not clear whether or not they fit correctly.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
On the ebay listing you originally posted it says " This part is compatible with 139 vehicle(s)." including the Superhawk, so going by what they say - they should fit.

As you only need one that's why I posted a link to an OEM second-hand one.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
well I just ordered some on ebay to spruce up the bike they were from Japan cnc'd red ones $18. for a set, also bought black brake/clutch levers. will let you know how they work out when I get them in a week.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Either of the e-bay ones should bolt right on
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Either of the e-bay ones should bolt right on

Thanks everyone, on the other thread there was some speculation wether or not they fit correctly as when they were tightened down to the bar the throttle would get stuck so just figured id ask before i pulled the trigger on one. Prob just get the one from the 03 as I only need 1 for now.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Weights on the bar ends detune vibrations mostly caused by the engine as well as provide a damper to the ends flopping like a reed when stimulated, the amount of weight to put on is more like trial and error unfortunately, that is if you want perfection , the common believe is that the heavier the weights the better they work to reduce vibrations, that also would depend on several factors, the type of bars ans what you have connected on the bars.
BTW, the handle bar internal weights are useless for the most part and basically acting as dead weight, you should stick to bar ends only, if you can.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
Weights on the bar ends detune vibrations mostly caused by the engine as well as provide a damper to the ends flopping like a reed when stimulated, the amount of weight to put on is more like trial and error unfortunately, that is if you want perfection , the common believe is that the heavier the weights the better they work to reduce vibrations, that also would depend on several factors, the type of bars ans what you have connected on the bars.
BTW, the handle bar internal weights are useless for the most part and basically acting as dead weight, you should stick to bar ends only, if you can.
very interesting, the internals not worth it? I've been wondering about that. Have used lead shot and silicone in handlebars on old bikes, that works quite well. Can fill the whole bar or just the end. I like the bolt on though.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Squid

slotzero is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
well I just ordered some on ebay to spruce up the bike they were from Japan cnc'd red ones $18. for a set, also bought black brake/clutch levers. will let you know how they work out when I get them in a week.
How did the Japan CNC'd bar ends work out? I'm thinking about getting a set.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Those first ebay wieghts look much heavier which in my experience really smooth the bars out. I have also found the wieght inside the bars dampen alot of vibes compared to hollow bars.

In general, light wieghts=more vibes.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Those first ebay wieghts look much heavier which in my experience really smooth the bars out. I have also found the wieght inside the bars dampen alot of vibes compared to hollow bars.

In general, light wieghts=more vibes.
Close, but no cigar...

Heavier bar ends kills large "slow" vibrations better, but lets through "fast" buzzing... Lighter is the opposite...

The point about having an internal weight inside the bar, is to kill both... Heavy on the ends to kill agitated vibrations on the end of the pipe, and a comparatively lighter one inside to kill the buzzing...

Ie both have a function... So you where close to the truth as a physics book would explain it, but not quite there...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Well, yeah I get the theory, but I have actually put heavier end wieghts with stock internals, then immediately rode 1000miles. The comfort increase was huge.

At the time I actually melted down a bunch of fishing wieghts and poured them into thinwalled pipe to make my own lead weights. The ride was transformed.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The weights inside the bars make a difference. I lost feeling in my little and ring fingers and the outside edge of the palm of my left hand on an eight or nine hour ride from Ohio last May. It turned out that the interior weight in the left stock clip on had fractured.