Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Avon vs Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 AM
Superstock

woodman
Avon vs Pirelli

Went for a ride Saturday with a group of buddies and during the ride I switched bikes with a friend who also rides a SH becasue he wanted to see the difference in gearing. His is stock mine is +2 rear.

The first thing we both noticed immediately was the difference in handling. I have the Avon AV 49/50 SP Pro and he has the Pirelli Diablo Strada's. Mine has much lighter, quicker steering. To get his to turn takes much more effort at the bars and in corners letting of the gas his bike wants to stand up. On the few less twisty section of the roads I could'nt tell any difference in stability when running at 75 to 85 mph.
I know the Avons are a high performance tire and the Pirelli's are a S/T tire, but looking at the profile I would'nt think there would be that much difference in handling, but there is. The Avon's are a little more pointed. He will probably get more mileage out of his but we live in the Ozark mountains and all our roads are very twisty so I will keep running the Avon's. We both prefered the handling of the Avons and he prefered the +2 gearing.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the Avons for a while, I loved how they handled but the front developed a wobble. Other than that and the fact I only got about 2000 miles out of the rear I loved 'em. I switched to the Bridgestone BT014 and love them but I can't really tell how many miles I'd get because the track chewed them up pretty good.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
What about suspension settings? That could have affected the performance of each tire.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Superstock

woodman
Re: Avon vs Pirelli

Our suspension settings are the same
Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Re: Avon vs Pirelli

I SWEAR by Diablos....I had them on my previous bike and they had no warm-up issues, a long life, and were great tires.

Seemed like at 1st, when fresh, they really liked to dive into the turns, almost like they'de lean themselves into the turns...so I'm curious as to why it felt more difficult on your buddies?

My was one of the 1st people in twon to have them when they 1st were released. He had an R1 and would do donuts, wheelies all over the place, stoppies, J-hooks, burn-outs...he was just BRUTAL on tires. He had M1s on there before and they lasted like 1/3 the times his Diablos did.

I did nothing but highway driving, and weekend carving around the local twisties, and my Diablo's lasted me a bit over 5K miles with 1 track day.