Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE CCT & Front-end "click"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
APE CCT & Front-end "click"

The '98 SH I bought has APE CCTs. How do you adjust and how often do adjust them?

When I apply the front brake I hear a "click" from somewhere upfront. Until I purchase (hopefully soon) a 24mm pin for my T-Rex front triple-tree stand I can't really see how I can diagnose the source because I can't get the front-end off the ground. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
A front end click when you brake is usually from your steering head bearings being too loose or worn out.

As for adjusting the APEs, most people check them when they do the valves. Because you can test cam chain slack when you are in there. In other words, not very often. I have yet to hear of someone actually needing to adjust them. (Be glad you didn't have the engine destroying stock CCTs, APEs are good)

How you adjust them is easy, loosen the nut (keeping the bolt still) then finger tight the bolt, back it off a quarter turn, and then retighten the nut. It isn't a critical amount of tightness, it needs to be tight enough to prevent the chain from jumping off the cams, and loose enough to not stretch the chain and overheat the engine.

edit: too loose and you will get cam chain slap, too tight and your engine will overheat fast.

Last edited by lazn; 08-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I get a click sometimes too. I've narrowed it down to the left side caliper but I can't get any further. The best I can tell it's one of the rotor float pins sliding/binding when the caliper pistons press against the rotor. The rotor was new (EBC Pro-Lite) last year and everything else is in good condition so I've just not worried too much about it. Put it this way - it's not kept me from grabbing a handful at 150mph going into turn 5 at Mid-Ohio.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
. . . Put it this way - it's not kept me from grabbing a handful at 150mph going into turn 5 at Mid-Ohio.
I hope to see you at Mid-Ohio in 2010. I have two goals for 2010 trackdays--Mid-Ohio and Barber (+Road America, Brainerd, and Blackhawk Farms).

YTKinWI
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by YTKinWI
I hope to see you at Mid-Ohio in 2010. I have two goals for 2010 trackdays--Mid-Ohio and Barber (+Road America, Brainerd, and Blackhawk Farms).

YTKinWI

You'll only see me if you take Keith Code's Californial Superbike School. I only run that track because I get free time in exchange for helping them out. I'm not a real fan of the layout. Putnam Park is my kind of track.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Squid

Redone is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
You'll only see me if you take Keith Code's Californial Superbike School. I only run that track (Mid-Ohio?) because I get free time in exchange for helping them out. I'm not a real fan of the layout. Putnam Park is my kind of track.
Wow. Care to explain what you don't like about Mid-Ohio? I've raced cars there, and it was one of everyone's favorites because it was so challenging to drive. Driver skill could overcome a car disadvantage. Fast corners, slow corners, wicked combination corners, off-camber stuff, etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Redone
Wow. Care to explain what you don't like about Mid-Ohio? I've raced cars there, and it was one of everyone's favorites because it was so challenging to drive. Driver skill could overcome a car disadvantage. Fast corners, slow corners, wicked combination corners, off-camber stuff, etc.

It's what I call a Bus Stop track. Go-STOP-turn-go-STOP-turn. Some people like to confuse "technical" with "Bus Stop". Basically it's too slow for me, no real fast corners except for turn 4, if you call that a corner.

You should try Putnam Park. That's a great flowing tack that is really well linked. Some medium speed corners, one second gear 90°, and a couple of fast sweepers - just the way I like it!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Slop/play in steering head bearings. Elevate front end (I suspend my VTR by using the frame-ratchet strap-rafter method), re-tighten as per specs. Don't be suprised if that big nut has backed off to hand tight.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Also, don't be suprised if the steering head bearings are toast. I had the same problem and it suspended my ride for a few days. clicking is ok, autopilot steering is not.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Re-torque the steering stem nut to 18ft/lbs with a 1 11/16" 12 point socket and see if your click goes away.