General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Very Important Mod ! shim shimmery... shim shimerry .020

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Very Important Mod ! shim shimmery... shim shimerry .020

does anyone know where the needle shim mod is for the sh? i got everything off.... and just finished the tps mod ( if you take the metal oval inserts out, it is like perfectly at 495ohms) , and now i wanna do the .020" washer needle shim on both carb needles. i need instructions... but dont know how to put the washers on, or if i take the stock washer or spacer off, or what to beware of and what not(diaphragm, etc). well, someone please help me... i wanna do it so i can buzz around before i get some more surprise crap weather. THANK YOU ! ! !
Old 03-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: Very Important Mod ! shim shimmery... shim shimerry .02

nope. unfortunatle that link is gone for good. still need to figure it out
Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

It is doubtfull that you need to adjust the idle mixture . If you feel that it runs fine from idle to 2k rpm leave it alone and also leave the carbs on to add the other washer .

Just take the top caps off the carbs and pull the diaphrams out , then

You will see what's called the needle holder , pull it out and note where both the large and small factory washer's are located . Stick the new small washer with the stock small washer and reassemble . One is a large washer up top and there is a big difference between the two thats easily seen .

To aid reassemble reach into the throttle bore and slightly lift the slide . That helps get the O/D seal of the diaphram where it needs to be before placing the cap back on .

BTW , the needle holder looks like a square block inside the diaphram .

Any questions fire away

EDIT:

What engine mods do you have ? Are you running the stock air filter and has the mains been changed ?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

i have MIG high mount pipes, and to my knowledge nothing else has been changed. i did the pair and tps mod, thats about it. the air filter needs changin, its the stock orange one i guess... it is lookin a LITTLE bit dirty, or brownish in some parts. i was gonna get a stock one, but dont know if i should go into a K & N or not. its not about money to me, its piece of mind. however, i have no clue about the mains (in fact, dont know what they are) . just want to do what i can whaile everythings off. isnt the black plastic lining by the big frame in the front going to get into the way of the front black cap? i mean, the needle assembly with diaphragm seems like 8" , i need clearance pulling outward towards the front wheel and up. seems itll be funky, but ill trust ya. also , i got two 3mm washers... ASUSMING THEY ARE .020" . do you think they are? i guess i can put them against my spark plug gap setter and guesstimate seeing how i dont have a micrometer. or should i get one? help!!!!!!!! :P i do appreciate this though, i WANT to master carbs! the slow jet and main jet and #45 and #50 you guys talk about..im assuming i dont touch that stuff. just wanna get er done while the guts are out
Old 03-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok guys... jsut got back, replaced the REAR ONLY needle shim and diaphragm. when i pulled out the needle holder, the needle stayed in the bottom of the slide and the spring and needle hold came out together. guess i lucked out. anyways, i CANNOT GET THAT DAMN PHILIPS HEAD out of the from diaphragm black cap... you know which one... the one with that is closest of the three to the front tire. i got a flexy 12" hose like rod that connects to a screwdriver bit , it dont work... was thinkin of gettin an "L" shaped philips and bending it so the angle is more 45 degrees. what you do???? just need that one screw out and im home free
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Looks like I should have said to pull carbs back enough to get the screws w/o taking off cables ect . :P

And yep , stock spring are very long . I am leaning more and more towards the DynoJet kits . The spring are 1/2 as long and those kits tune out very well on stock motors w/ exhaust
Old 03-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

get er done guys... thanks again for everything.... have yet to start her up but we'll see !