Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Antifreeze shooting all over floor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Squid

Freind of Hawk is on a distinguished road
Antifreeze shooting all over floor

New member here. I am working on my boss's 1999 superhawk. He said he parked it about 3 years ago after buying another bike. The bike was having overheating problems at the time. We rolled it out of the garage and I began tinkering with it. The radiator was empty but the overflow tank still had fluid in it. So I filled it up and got it running and everything seems fine as far as running (runs well, no overheating). After the bike has cooled either for an hour or overnight and you try to restart it. It sprays a good amount of antifreeze all over the floor. It comes from one of the hoses that runs out the bottom of the bike. What's going on? Is it because I over filled it or is there some other problem? Is there a procedure for properly filling the antifreeze?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Freind of Hawk
New member here. I am working on my boss's 1999 superhawk. He said he parked it about 3 years ago after buying another bike. The bike was having overheating problems at the time. We rolled it out of the garage and I began tinkering with it. The radiator was empty but the overflow tank still had fluid in it. So I filled it up and got it running and everything seems fine as far as running (runs well, no overheating). After the bike has cooled either for an hour or overnight and you try to restart it. It sprays a good amount of antifreeze all over the floor. It comes from one of the hoses that runs out the bottom of the bike. What's going on? Is it because I over filled it or is there some other problem? Is there a procedure for properly filling the antifreeze?

Thanks,
Chris
You're going to have to ID the hose..... and ensure the coolant is coming FROM the hose and not just running down the out side.

There is a service manual in the Tech forum, download and between that and a online parts fiche page you should be able to pin down what hose you think coolant is leaking from.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:48 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Wondering if the thermostat could cause this, or a blown head gasket...

If i remember correctly you should be able to fill the right radiator using a piece of hose (snake it in behind the fairing, or use the existing overflow tube going to the filler neck as a fill point). (Fill the bike while its on the side stand) Fill the overflow bottle 1/3 to 1/2 way full. Try pumping the big radiator hoses to burp the system. Then start the bike and burp the system more.

I let mine run and puke a little bit until it got the level where it wanted... Basically i let mine work itself out

As long as there are no air bubbles or air pockets, you are good.

I like feeling both radiators as the bike warms up to make sure they are heating up amd getting hot. This tells you they are cooling properly. If one stays cold it means you have air in the system.

If you are mechanically inclined you can pull the tank, and the airbox, then remove the top of the thermostat housing to check operation of the thermostat. Can't remember whether you need to drain the coolant to do this.

James
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Check the rad cap. It could be a simple fix.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Oh that's a good tip too!!

James
Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, if it runs fine and doesn't leak while running then the rad cap is the suspect. Amazing how many issues can be cured by a new cap.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
Carb Heater hoses as well!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
Just saying if it were me I would probably just go through all the clamps and check all hoses....Once they heat up and expand it may seal the lose connection off.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I would not rule out a head gasket based on that description. In fact I'd be pretty concerned it was a head gasket.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I blew a tube in the left radiator and the coolant was running down the inner side.

Why not get a pressure tester and check the whole system for leaks!

Is the oil milky in the oil sight glass?