Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Archery Target shooting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Archery Target shooting.

Anybody here into archery ? I got the bug about six months ago and I'm leasing my equipment right now but would like to own something I can grow with that won't break the bank.
Any suggestions ? or, for that matter, for sale ?
I would prefer RH takedown recurve, 25" riser with 70" limbs, about 35lbs.

Kai Ju
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
im into it a little bit, consider we sell bows where i work, but i dont own one. i just shoot whenever i get a chance at work. haha.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
What are you shooting now? I had no idea anyone actually leased those things. I was shooting a Hoyt compound, but it was cutting into my gun time, and I had no intention of hunting with it, so I sold it.

I was looking to get into recurve a few years ago and was in the market for a target recurve. I believe that I was looking at either a Hoyt or PSE. If you have somewhere to rent bows, I'd suggest renting all that you can stand to shoot. Opinions vary on so many things, like risers made of wood vs. aluminum, aluminum vs. carbon for arrows, etc.

BTW, I ended my search for a bow for two reasons: my second daughter arrived, and I bought a Superhawk.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
My dad bought a compound bow a couple of years ago. He put a good sight on it and bought a release trigger.

I had never shot the thing and it had been years since I had sprayed a target with random arrow placements. I hadn't shot a bow in about 20 years.

We stood back at 25 yards. He handed me the bow and I proceded to put 6 arrows in a 2 inch group. I think it would have been tighter but arrows were deflected by other arrows that were already in the place that arrow was going.

Unbelievable. I would definitely recommend trying some good equipment, especially, if you intend to hunt with it. I've been thinking about it, but I'm buying a motorcycle... And my friend just bought a new mountain bike...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bow hunters are the ultimate killers. Close in, fully stealth is the letter and punctuation of the mission, and success at the end of the day. Then, yeah! We get to eat it!

I got to hand it to you guys and gals that have the steely nerve for this. I don't. I don't have the time either. Wish I did! That's for you to do!

I like the shot from 300 yards.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Squid

Woodytick is on a distinguished road
well being a seasoned bowhunter, the main question is what do you want to do, and how much money you willing to spend. bowhunting can be an expensive sport. i hunt with a hoyt ultrasport compound. my brother hunts traditional style with a takedown recurve and no sights.

if you want a compound i would only recommend one brand, and that is a hoyt. now if you want a recurve i suggest you do a search online for custom bow makers. ron pittsley is the owner of this company out of michigan and one hell of a bow maker. there are also several longbow makers in the state of ohio and make extremely nice bows.

dont just order a bow off line from some company. the best thing is to actually go into a shop and have the bow tuned just right for you. what ever you buy, just remember there is nothing like bowhunting. its the ultimate rush to be sitting in a treestand and have either a huge buck or extremely large hog walk under the stand and not even know you are there until you slam that arrow through both his lungs.

ok i was gonna add some pics for you, but they are all to big. go to this website and check out these bows.

http://www.huntersniche.com/predator_bows.htm
Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Squid

grasshoppermouse is on a distinguished road
bowhunter yes
3-D occasionally
backyard enjoyment for sure
target na

Modern wheeled bows are all good; just like bikes go to the shop try a bunch and go with what just feels right. If your currently shooting you'll feel the differences.

Look closely if American made is important to you. These days not all of them are.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I've only shot a compound once but have spent the past few months with recurves and would like to stick with that.
But your advice about trying different bows is the same advice I got with recurves so I'll be trying to do that as much as I can.

Kai Ju
Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Squid

dakmatik is on a distinguished road
I have a pearson compound I picked up a couple of years ago. For me for hunting, a compound is the only way to go, but since you're talking about using it for target purposes a recurve would be cool. I would definately go to an archery shop and talk to the people there and see what their recommendations are. They can help point you in the right direction and will spend some time with you working on your form and getting the bow set up for you.