Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Another starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Squid

junocdx is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Another starting issue

I want to start by saying hello to everyone. I've been reading through these forums for a while now. I tried searching for some information on my issue with my new toy, and I've gone through 17 pages worth of threads trying to find anything. Unfortunately it seems (atleast to me) that my problem is kind of unique.

I bought my first Hawk 2 nights ago. 1998 w/ 7900 miles. Its in VERY good condition and is mechanically stock. I havn't had any issues with it until tonight. I drove around for about 15-20 minutes before I pulled over to make a phone call. When I was done with my call the bike just wouldnt start. Turn the key on, hit the starter and it cranks a few times, then the lights go out and it just stops. 2 or 3 tries and I get nothing at all. I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, tried it again and it started right up. Drove to a PepBoys for a battery. Bike was running for probably 40 minutes before I shut it off. Put the new battery in it, and same thing. Wouldn't take a jump either. Decided to let it sit to see what happens, 10-15 minutes later it starts right up. I finally decided to drive it home and park it.

Most stuff I read involves problems with the R/R, but I havn't read anything that sounds specifically like my issue. This is my only transportation, so I need to try to get it running right soon. I live in barracks on a military installation, so I dont have access to a multimeter and/or a large selection of tools right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
R/R....look on Ebay for one from an R1
should run 30 or more
Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
should run 30 or more
+1

My R/R is going bad as well and I'm having the same symptoms.
For the mileage that's on your bike I would think it's not the R/R...but that sounds exactly like what I'm going through. Ebay is the place to go...just be patient and you will find a deal on one.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
should run 30 or more
It's most likely the R/R...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Horses before Zebras

Please check your wire connections at the start solenoid, battery, starter motor, and engine ground first. Spend the 4-20 bucks for a cheap multimeter and check your voltage while running before buying a bunch of parts. run the throttle up and watch.
The symptoms you describe are more likely to be the relay, a ground or something else, cause after sitting, it started. A regulator rectifier will cause weak and failed battery, which does not fit that aspect. Not being able to jump does.
My hawk had similar issues and the starter solenoid was at fault. Do check the voltage tho cause those regulators are crap.
Good luck, and start simple. Rob
Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I agree with shooting wires first. Get one of you buddies in the barracks to drive you to walmart and get a cheap multimeter. Download the maunal for this bike from the knowledge base of this forum, and start checking wires and connections before buying a part that might or might not fix it and wasting time.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Squid

junocdx is on a distinguished road
The PO had the shop manual. I looked through it last night but the trouble shooting didn't help me much since I dont have a multimeter. Thanks for suggesting about the connections and such. You'd figure that would be the first step to take, but I overlooked it.

I was assuming that after running for a while the R/R was overheating and causing it to not start. Is that plausible?
I also started to dismiss the R/R because most people say their battery just straight dies. Both batteries I had seemed like they held a decent charge. (assumption ofcourse)

The voltages that I need to check should all be in the manual right?

All the horror stories I hear about the R/R make me want to replace it anyway. I think I saw somewhere that I can use a GSXR R/R? There are a LOT more of them on eBay right now, and they're cheaper.

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

Last edited by junocdx; 11-28-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Just because the battery was new doesn't necessarily mean that it had a good charge while sitting on the shelf. There's got to be about 4 million voltmeters on a military base; ask around.

Charge the battery, start the bike, take reading at the battery while holding 5k rpm; should be 13.5-15.5Volts. Run bike around for a good 45minutes or so and repeat test. Most r/r's fail when hot. This test will cost you nothing unless you buy a voltmeter.

If it passes, I'd look at the starter next.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
In the shop manual look at section 16, there is a complete step-by-step to check R/R and similar, with voltages all you need is a multimeter and the tools that came with the bike...

And as bling said... It's a military base... how hard can it be to find a multimeter? I'd check the motorpool... they need em for their vehicles don't they? And I bet they'd like the change of pace to check out a V-twin...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
This is most definitely neither the RR nor the battery. I am fully convinced that you have loose connections somewhere or a mechanical failure of your starter. For this to happen as you say, it would be impossible for the RR to cause this or a weak battery. A weak battery is not going to continually die and comeback to life without proper mouth to mouth. Check your connections. You can check for a voltage loss at these connections and get an idea of how bad the connection, or corrosion, is. You can also check the solenoid output when you are having this problem of no start. check the output side when attempting to crank for output voltage, if it isn't battery voltage (same as batteries voltage during cranking) then you probably have a problem with the solenoid or a connection. if you are getting a voltage on the output of 12.5 or so when you try to crank, that would mean that you have no voltage "loss" through the starter, either a bad starter or a bad connection to the starter.

All in all, there are a lot of test that you need to do to solve this problem, and throwing parts at it will not help. Good luck,
Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Squid

Hammer4 is on a distinguished road
Since you are losing the cluster lights as well, first place I would check would be your ground cable...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by happytrack44
Please check your wire connections at the start solenoid, battery, starter motor, and engine ground first. Spend the 4-20 bucks for a cheap multimeter and check your voltage while running before buying a bunch of parts. run the throttle up and watch.
The symptoms you describe are more likely to be the relay, a ground or something else, cause after sitting, it started. A regulator rectifier will cause weak and failed battery, which does not fit that aspect. Not being able to jump does.
My hawk had similar issues and the starter solenoid was at fault. Do check the voltage tho cause those regulators are crap.
Good luck, and start simple. Rob

+1 on this go to radio shack, wallmart, dollar store amost any store and get a cheep multimeter if you have 13.5 to 14.9 volts when running regulator should be ok but does not mean you are getting the amps you need. but if the battery voltage is 12 to 13 before you try to start it your battery should be fine also you can see how much the voltage drops when you push the button anything under 11 volts battery needs a charge check the ground and when it happens again jump the starter relay with a wire or anything that will make a connection. when you push the starter button do you hear a click or anything. see any green stuff on the wires.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem with my SH here in Sunny SA....

The breather pipe is blocked.....Next time the bike dies, open/close the fuel cap...If the bike starts, the breather is definately blocked..

It was a mission though to get the breather unblocked.

Gerrit