Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Another electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
Another electrical problem...

Okay, so this is not hawk related.

My buddy bought an 82 KZ750 as a bike to learn how to ride on. So far he has been doing okay. When he bought the bike the seller mentioned he had recently put in a new battery, but keeps the bike on a battery tender to make sure it maintains a charge since it was not his primary ride.

Now...my buddy is still having problems starting the bike from a dead stop, the the couple times we have been out riding he would stall the bike a bunch of times and have to resort to kick starting the thing. He was keeping the bike at my place and I left a battery tender on it also while it was here.

A couple weeks ago we took the bike over to his house and he has only tried to ride is once since. Apparently it was not on a battery tender and he had a rough time getting it to start.

I went over yesterday to see if I could help him out since he is not good at kicking the bike over yet. I was able to get it started but it was running like ****. It kept back firing at low rpms and then would eventually stall. On restart I could not keep it running as well. So we jumped it on another battery and it ran fine until we took off the starter cables.

I was originally thinking that this was a stator or alternator problem as the battery was not charging correctly. I really know nothing about electronics though so any help would be grately appreciated.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
With a 30 year old motorcycle, there could be a combination of problems. Battery terminals, battery cables, ground connections, wire connections corroded, wires corroded, wires burnt, regulator, stator, starter solenoid, fuse block corroded...

But, since the battery is apparently not charging from the engine, I would inspect stator and regulator second and third, right after the battery cabling.

Read through this recent thread Charging System Troubleshooting. I posted 2 links that have been very helpful to myself. If you have a multimeter and can follow instructions then you should be able to determine the bad parts.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Squid

LITTLEHAWK is on a distinguished road
I was having the same problem checked the acid level in the battery and
it was at one third of what it should have been. I got a new gel battery
all is good, starts every time. The battery is the lowest priced item to try
first it worked for me. Just how new was new having it on the charger all the time heats the battery up and the acid level falles fast.

Last edited by LITTLEHAWK; 06-23-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add on
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me like he's got a bad battery. If its not taking a charge from the tender that's most likely your issue.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
The battery takes a charge from the tender, but once he gets on the bike and stalls it a few times he runs it down. Even though we ride far enough between stalls to charge it up, it is not doing so.