Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

alternative to progressive springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
alternative to progressive springs?

Instead of replacing springs with progressive springs has anyone tried to just add a spacer to stiffen forks up? I have seen it done in the off road world and on few dual sports. What yall guys think?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen progressive rate springs advertised as replacements for the stock springs in the VTR. The usual replacements are straight rate springs in the .85 to .95 kg/mm range. According to Race Tech, the stock spring rate is .585 kg/mm. Increasing the preload on the stock springs will increase the ride height but won't change the spring rate. The springs will continue to be too soft. It's your bike but I think you'd get a greater improvement by installing aftermarket springs that are correct for your weight than by adding preload to the stock springs.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
HyperPro made a set of progressive springs for the front and rear. I have them and I like the performance for all around riding.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Contact Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs or get them from jamie@daughertymotorsports.com. Jamie has some fixes for the shock too.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The answer is you cant stiffen a spring by adding spacers.

You can add preload but the rate of the spring is unchanged.

If you really want to accomplish that, you must cut the spring to change the spring rate, then add a spacer to take up that space.

Its a tricky concept but picture this. A spring is a long piece of steel that bends.

Picture a long straight piece of steel between 2 chairs. If you push on the middle, it will deflect an exact amount per unit of weight pushing.

If you cut that long piece of steel in half, it will be much more stiff and resistant to bending, therefore stiffer.

That said, you can actually make spacers for the hawk and install them without removing the whole fork internals. I did mine with the bike all together.

Just cut like a 2 inch spacer out of tubing or pvc and then cut it in half top to bottom. You can then slip it where it goes and push the fork back together. 15 minutes whole job.

Then add like an inch of very heavy fork oil and your bike is transformed.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 08-23-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Crash
Superstock

thanks for info. I can't afford springs right now. Decided to go back to college and it's crazy expensive. Spacers and heavy fluid will have to do for now.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Crash
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The answer is you cant stiffen a spring by adding spacers.

You can add preload but the rate of the spring is unchanged.

If you really want to accomplish that, you must cut the spring to change the spring rate, then add a spacer to take up that space.

Its a tricky concept but picture this. A spring is a long piece of steel that bends.

Picture a long straight piece of steel between 2 chairs. If you push on the middle, it will deflect an exact amount per unit of weight pushing.

If you cut that long piece of steel in half, it will be much more stiff and resistant to bending, therefore stiffer.

That said, you can actually make spacers for the hawk and install them without removing the whole fork internals. I did mine with the bike all together.

Just cut like a 2 inch spacer out of tubing or pvc and then cut it in half top to bottom. You can then slip it where it goes and push the fork back together. 15 minutes whole job.

Then add like an inch of very heavy fork oil and your bike is transformed.
What diameter PVC pipe do I need to buy?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:47 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
A trick for Bandits is to just cut the tightly wound coils off the stock spring and make a spacer to take up the space. On a Bandit spring it leaves you with a almost perfect .95 spring.

Dont know if it would work on a VTR.