General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Progressive Insurance sucks the big one

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Progressive Insurance sucks the big one

Progressive is raising my rate 20% because I refinanced my house after my divorce to get my exwife off title. Bye Bye Progressive. Perfect driving record, zero claims ever and very high credit rating. Progressive said none of that mattered that they have their own 'insurance rating'.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HawkRider98
Progressive is raising my rate 20% because I refinanced my house after my divorce to get my exwife off title. Bye Bye Progressive. Perfect driving record, zero claims ever and very high credit rating. Progressive said none of that mattered that they have their own 'insurance rating'.
I have progressive also, not happy. I would be interested to know where you move your insurance to, if you care to share that information.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Back Marker

Will do. Told them I was not happy with how they allowed/disallowed discounts and that I would be cancelling my motorcycle and auto policies. Customer Service rep I talked to, listened to why I refinanced and said it made no difference why and they could not/would not change it. Auto is not due but will cancel it and move it with motorcycle policy.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have Gico for my motorcycles and they have been fine. But I haven't had to make a claim or anything with them yet so who knows.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I have Alfa for my car insurance and they don't do bikes but have me on a Farmers policy for my bike and am happy with my rates. I was Also very happy with State farm when I was with them but I know the guy personally who is the local Alfa agent and like to give my business to friends when I can, I pay a little more for the bikes but he makes up for it on my Auto. I was house shopping at the time that I switched and the difference there was going to save me a few hundred dollars a year.

Plus its nice to be able to walk into the office and ask a question person to person when I need to rather than sit on hold for the next available representative
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Put me on the other side of the street I guess.

Progressive has the best rates on my bikes time and time again... paid out on my recent damage in just a few days, covered a supplemental claim on the same bike no questions asked.. and all told paid me almost full retail value, to repair my bike.

Just got our next years policy invoice the other day.. No rate increase.

Both houses, 2 cars, 2 trucks, Toy Hauler, small trailer are with USAA... so I cant comment on what Progressive would be like for my on those items..
Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Back Marker

I was happy with my Progressive policy prior to this hike. I started with Progressive because they were the cheapest and moved my auto over when it was up. The reason for the hike and the unwillingness to even consider circumstances is my reason for cancelling. My guess is when my auto policy came due, that rate would also increase.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HawkRider98
Progressive is raising my rate 20% because I refinanced my house after my divorce to get my exwife off title. .
I'm driving in my car a few months ago, and listening to a talk radio show. (wow, what an exciting life I lead..)
Anyway, subject at hand, insurance companies. Apparently, companies discovered that there is a correlation between insurance claims, and, bad credit rating, or just high loan amounts. Perhaps this would explain your recent price hike.

I don't understand why someone with a bad credit rating suddenly becomes a bad driver, or, makes more claims, but, according to them, they do. My take on this, like everyone else out there, they are just looking for more creative ways of getting their hands in our pockets.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Back Marker

That would be all fine and dandy, but zero correlation with my situation. Been with Progressive 5 years, no tickets last 20 years, zero claims with any insurance company ever(home or auto), @800 credit score, and when I refinanced I received best rate possible, under 3%(but what does bank know). House is only debt I have. It's nice to know you can do everything right, pay your bills and still get the shaft
Old 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
I don't understand why someone with a bad credit rating suddenly becomes a bad driver, or, makes more claims, but, according to them, they do. My take on this, like everyone else out there, they are just looking for more creative ways of getting their hands in our pockets.
Because some people are wrecking their vehicles on purpose so the insurance pays out and gets them off the hook for the vehicle or helps them out of another payment
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
Because some people are wrecking their vehicles on purpose so the insurance pays out and gets them off the hook for the vehicle or helps them out of another payment
When I lived in the Atlanta area, I used Hardiman insurance, a small place on the west side of town. I used to pay $49 a year liability on my Ninja900... of course, that was in the mid-90's, but I used them for dirt cheap liability for a long time.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Brain dead sollution to bring you towards more problems and conflict. Not saying your not right, I'm sure some do this purposely. However, I doubt verymuch if you where to put this percentage wise, it would be a double digit statistic.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Agreed. It's just the insurance game. All it takes is for a correlation to *average* customer for them to make a policy for it. It's not about individual risk, it's about the average risk for all of their clients... across the board. If someone's been in two at-fault accidents, it doesn't definitively mean that they're a worse or riskier driver (random circumstances can cause a lot of things), but it gives enough clues that you are likely going to cost them more money in the future. Just like being a teen doesn't mean you'll have an accident, but no person will say that the average teen is as safe as the average adult. So maybe they found a correlation strong enough between some factor that makes someone in this situation a more of a risk factor on average (like insulin boy suggested). I don't have any loyalty to Progressive, but they are the cheapest for me as well. Kind of a buzz kill response on my part, but it's good that you have insurance options; maybe one of the other companies' formulas account for your situation better.

Not that I agree with insurance policies in general (it should cover major emergencies only IMO, and not all that extra jazz that in the long run they're making money on).
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
MotoGP

I wonder how many factors they take into account, and how broad their formulas reach? I know location and demographic, and all that stuff is a factor, but I wonder if being single in a house has any "warning sign" over joint ownership?

I wonder if all you negative nancies are right, and your situation change is indicative that you will pay more for insurance if they bump it up 20%? All they have to do is get less than 1/5 people to drop from the 20% bump for it to be worth it (well, and the negative press and word of mouth associated with such a bump). It is all about the money with them being a company and all.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
You'd have to have some fine brass hardware to wreck a moto badly enough to total it on purpose.

We know sportbike insurance is high because such a high percentage of them are wrecked and generate claims but I don't get the correlation between something as responsible as debt reduction (re-fi in your case) and insurance. Is it because your "married" box became un-checked?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by davidka
I don't get the correlation between something as responsible as debt reduction (re-fi in your case) and insurance. Is it because your "married" box became un-checked?
Who knows... maybe they don't get it either, but they see a definite correlation in the numbers that they run and adjust accordingly. Just because it doesn't have an easy explanation that we can speculate on the forum doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Or that the customer service people have any idea why either if there are too many weird correlations for them to know. I'd even guess that the formulas are proprietary and highly researched (gives them an edge on competition to have the most efficient plan). Again, I know I'm being a d-bag about this but I'm just throwing it out there.

Last edited by 7moore7; 09-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by davidka
You'd have to have some fine brass hardware to wreck a moto badly enough to total it on purpose.
You don't have to be on it for insurance to payout. For example to could accidentally hit it parking the car in your driveway, drop it in the river and report it stolen, set it on fire

There are many ways to get a claim on a vehicle or home. I'm just saying with the economy in its current state this is becoming a more popular practice and it normally happens by statistics right after divorce and right after a refi or purchase because you spent more than you realize you did, or because of the additional hardship ect.

We call insurance companies the evil corporations but they aren't out to lose money and they do employ a bunch of people. No offence to you or your situation but if that's all somebody had to say to get a lower rate the insurance company would end up going out of business. I'm not saying I wouldn't switch, I'm just saying they do their practices the way they do because of their experience with their typical customers to turn the most profit with the least amount of claims. They may be doing it intentionally to drive you off because they see you as too high of a risk at the current time.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Back Marker

Well, they have succeeded. moved to Geico. Between truck and bike cost is 38% less. 60% less on bike and 16% on truck. Truck would have been more but I compared apples to apples as in with Progressive I had to carry comprehensive to carry collision. With the highest deductible(5000) it was still like $28 bucks/6 months. Geico will let me skip it
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Squid

OldnInTheWoods is on a distinguished road
Suggest you first look at combining your Auto/Motorcycle insurance with your Homeowners insurer. After that look at Allied/Nationwide (basically the same company), they are a high-quality insurer with competitive rates.

DO NOT buy the minimum coverage limits required by your state. Too dangerous.

John
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OldnInTheWoods
Suggest you first look at combining your Auto/Motorcycle insurance with your Homeowners insurer. After that look at Allied/Nationwide (basically the same company), they are a high-quality insurer with competitive rates.

John
I've been thrilled with Nationwide, especially for $8.84 a month for full coverage!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by OldnInTheWoods

Agree'd. I have a friend who was involved in a hit and run while on his motorcycle so his uninsured/underinsured picked up the hospital bill (which wasn't cheap) I keep my limits at the maximum of $500K Per Accident in addition to whatever the other motorists limits are (I also have the option of $300K per person involved but as I always ride alone the $500k per accident for the same price made more sense)