Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Are all VTR gas tank identical??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Are all VTR gas tank identical??

After putting a newer style sending unit in my tank I have discovered a possible issue that others have described. It appears the float may be hitting the vent line inside the tank preventing it from displaying the entire range of gas. If you happen to put the float above the vent line you will get the upper range and if you put it below it like I did you will get the lower range so you can see when you are running out.

Is this confirmed that the gas tank are different in the 98-00 years as opposed to the 01-05? I may have also put the float in incorrectly but I put it in the way it seemed it should be placed.

If you loook at this pic of the two units you can see they are oriented differently. I just looked at Ron Ayers and it appears the wire oreientation will be different and the float direction is the same, pointing backwards. It also looks like Ron Ayers pic shows two types of floats, one has a float and a reserve sensor on it?

Any tip on what direction to bend the float and where the vent lines run inside the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Are all VTR gas tank identical??-fuelsensors.jpg   Are all VTR gas tank identical??-tank.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
How much can you see through the tank cap? We should see if we can look down in there and figure out what's going on, maybe even grab a big wrench and bend the vent tube out of the way if the interference is small enough.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 PM
SuperSport

Time to make a flexible camera that will fit inside the tank.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by yruyur
Time to make a flexible camera that will fit inside the tank.
I have always thought one of those would be handy for all kinds of things. I wanted one back when I had that Q45 since it too had a CCT issue that you had to remove 1/2 the engine to fix or even find out if the fix had been applied to the car, but a fexi camera would have been enough to check it. I ended up selling the car rather than trying to do that.

Edit: you can just buy them at home depo now.. lol http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100608589

bit pricey though.

Last edited by lazn; 04-27-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
I thought the 01up tanks held more fuel?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by justscoutin
I thought the 01up tanks held more fuel?
Only in Europe.. They started with a smaller tank and it got increased to the same size as the USA tank in 01.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
SuperSport

I think I have a board mounted camera that will fit in the tank. I'll look into it tonight after I burn off some more gas.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Only in Europe.. They started with a smaller tank and it got increased to the same size as the USA tank in 01.
So you are saying you have a 5 gallon tank then? If so you are better at filling it than me...

As far as I know all US bikes regardless of year has a 4.2 gallon tank, just as the older bikes in Europe have... The newer however in Europe does have a 5 gallon tank...

As for the reason for this stupidity... Dunno... Honda US at it's prime, going about things asswards as usual... They can join hands with the Swedish/Northern European spare parts department... It's cheaper and faster getting parts from the US and paying shipping and tax + duty on them...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
DON'T MEAN TO JUMP THIS THREAD, BUT DO HAVE SIMULAR QUESTION. OFTENED WONDERED IF THE FUEL LEVEL SENDER COULD BE ADJUSTED. WHEN I TOP OFF MY TANK IN LESS THAN 10 MILES IT DROPS 1 INCREMENT. WHEN I GET TO THE LAST INCREMENT & FILL IT BACK UP, IT NORMALLY ONLY TAKES 2.7 GALS. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
@Tweety
youre right, european models from 2001 up have a 5 gallon tank and a different fuel level sending unit, due to the new cluster with a real fuel level indicator. Until 01 the VTRs had a 4.2 gallon tank and just a fuel reserve light.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MOONSTER
DON'T MEAN TO JUMP THIS THREAD, BUT DO HAVE SIMULAR QUESTION. OFTENED WONDERED IF THE FUEL LEVEL SENDER COULD BE ADJUSTED. WHEN I TOP OFF MY TANK IN LESS THAN 10 MILES IT DROPS 1 INCREMENT. WHEN I GET TO THE LAST INCREMENT & FILL IT BACK UP, IT NORMALLY ONLY TAKES 2.7 GALS. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
Yes... Just bend the arm on the float a bit for adjustment... BTW I'm pretty sure you're supposed to run it till the last segment is blinking, that's the "reserve"...

I'm using a VFR float/arm so I had to "calibrate" it myself...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by MOONSTER
The adjustment should be just bending the arm of the float. Just like a toilet float if it's not filling high enough. Sounds like the arm just needs to be bent upwards. Are the components stock or did you put the sending unit in the tank.

Last edited by yruyur; 04-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
SuperSport

Got some video

I had an old cheap web cam I got off craigslist for 8 bucks a few years ago, I guess it came in handy. Rigged the bulb off my flashlight onto it and shoved it into the tank.

You can see the float is resting on top of the vent line on the left side of the tank(right side of video). I think I see where a bend would resolve the issue. I just want to make sure I get a left/right bend and not an up down to prevent false readings.

Last edited by yruyur; 04-27-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
SuperSport

Here is a screenshot I took of the video that pretty much shows the problem area. Any ideas of where the bends should go?
Attached Thumbnails Are all VTR gas tank identical??-tank.jpg  

Last edited by yruyur; 04-27-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
So you are saying you have a 5 gallon tank then? If so you are better at filling it than me...

As far as I know all US bikes regardless of year has a 4.2 gallon tank, just as the older bikes in Europe have... The newer however in Europe does have a 5 gallon tank...

As for the reason for this stupidity... Dunno... Honda US at it's prime, going about things asswards as usual... They can join hands with the Swedish/Northern European spare parts department... It's cheaper and faster getting parts from the US and paying shipping and tax + duty on them...
Hmm, I am just remembering this discussion from when it came up once before someone in the USA had posted a "wanted" for the newer firestorm tank, and the response he got was that the bigger one there was the same as ours here.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
Hmm, I am just remembering this discussion from when it came up once before someone in the USA had posted a "wanted" for the newer firestorm tank, and the response he got was that the bigger one there was the same as ours here.
Yep... And If you look later in that thread I corrected that very person in that very thread as well...

I've been here a while... And if it's one thing I have learned it is the subtle and stupid differences between US Superhawks and European/Aussie Firestorm...

If the US had the bigger tanks the market would be flooded with them... Now as it is a 5 gallon tank from a newer Firestorm is almost as expensive as buying a new one... I have been looking for a good one for almost 2 years now, but all either have big dings in them or go for unreasonable amounts...

One of these days I'll crack and get me a VFR tank... But that's a long way down on my list of things that needs to be done... First is getting the new swing on so I can enjoy the good weather...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
SuperSport

Well we got the fuel sensor to show the entire range. We shortened the float arm by half an inch. Drops a little dramatically for the first three dots as I have heard from others as well. Mine may be a little more extreme as the arm is shorter

first mark .6 miles
second mark 9 miles
third mark 23 miles

I wish someone here had a newer tank so I could get my camera into it and take video of it to compare the vent lines and the float location.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

Next time you are low on fuel, swing by and we can adjust it some.. If we lessen the initial bend some it will swing up further into the full range, then if we add a bend back down further along the wire, it will prevent the float from hitting the top of the tank. (kind of how you first suggested)
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
i like bikes
Squid

murrays996 is on a distinguished road
Talking thanks

i just got a 99 superhawk and the first thing the crossed my mind was to swap the gauge , i think its great the work you did and i will start my project soon and follow in you foot steps , againg thank you
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Squid

ohiophotog is on a distinguished road
Just bought a '01+ sensor off the info posted in this thread, thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I must have really got lucky, I did some trading around.. And got a later Firestorm Black Fuel tank with a finger print size dent in the side.. The fuel tank was complete(sending unit, petcock and clean) Just the wrong color... Which is being stripped /dent pulled/ and painted the correct fast color(RED)

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 01-23-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
SpellCheck
Squid

SpellCheck is on a distinguished road
It might take some fiddling to get the larger Firestorm tank to work on a U.S.-market bike. I have not tried it myself, but I was told by Honda people in California that the airbox is different on the bikes with the larger tank. This causes a loss of a few horsepower, which is why the American company chose not to take the larger tank.

Again, this is what I was told by Honda employees. I don't have personal experience.

Also, I vaguely recall there being another difference, too -- maybe the petcock. It seems that one piece was mounted remotely on the larger tanks.

I'll be interested to see what it takes to make it work.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SpellCheck
It might take some fiddling to get the larger Firestorm tank to work on a U.S.-market bike. I have not tried it myself, but I was told by Honda people in California that the airbox is different on the bikes with the larger tank. This causes a loss of a few horsepower, which is why the American company chose not to take the larger tank.

Again, this is what I was told by Honda employees. I don't have personal experience.

Also, I vaguely recall there being another difference, too -- maybe the petcock. It seems that one piece was mounted remotely on the larger tanks.

I'll be interested to see what it takes to make it work.
The airbox is unchanged... Since it's complete, it's just a matter of bolting and connecting it up, filling it and riding... But what do I know... I never done that swap, oh no... And it wasn't discussed a few posts earlier in this thread...
Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
How would I know

I bought my bike New Years day and the guy I bought it from gave me an extra gas tank that apprently he got from the fellow he bought it from that did all of the upgrades.

I was reading this thread and started looking at the tank. It is a little more angular and possibly a bit wider. How would I know if it's a euro tank? No it's not for sale!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 AM
MotoGP

Actually, you just gave a good description... A bit more angular, the "wings" over the legs are a bit larger, and a bit wider... And it doesn't have a hole for the petcock, instead the petcock is separate on a short hose, and mounts to the frame...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

Unhappy Crap

Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually, you just gave a good description... A bit more angular, the "wings" over the legs are a bit larger, and a bit wider... And it doesn't have a hole for the petcock, instead the petcock is separate on a short hose, and mounts to the frame...
Thanks Tweety just checked and there is a hole in the rear of the tank I presume for the petcock, still it looks different and exactly as you describe at the "wing" area. Must be my old eyes!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Fuel Tank removal

Name:  IMGP3611-1.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
SuperBike

Thumbs up

Thanks Wicky..that confirms it my tank is not the Firestorm tank, oh well!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Could it be a VFR tank?

Like this: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...mage041-sm-jpg

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ge2/#post74375

Last edited by Wicky; 01-21-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Well buggers.. All the information is informative.

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 01-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Are all VTR gas tank identical??