Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

air adjustment screw

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
SuperSport
Thread Starter
 
twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 581
twist is on a distinguished road
air adjustment screw

I've had several bikes with duel carburation and they have all had air mixture screws for each carburetor. The general rule of thumb is 2 to 2 1/2 turns out and tune the second carb to that. Why does the hawk fix the front carb with no way to adjust? The only way to adjust, (that I can tell), is to adjust to the front carburetor. So, if I want to adjust the bike to run a bit rich because I put new cans on all I can do is adjust the rear? That doesn't make any sense! I read here all the time how some have adjusted to running 1 1/2 turns, or 2 and so forth. What am I missing?
twist is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
  #2  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The adjustment screws are for fuel on these carbs, not air.
There is a adjuster on each carb ( also know as the pilot screw)
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
  #3  
Slacker
Superstock
 
BeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 489
BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
You may be identifying the throttle synchronization screw mistakenly as an idle fuel mixture adjustment screw.

US models have one 'D' shaped mixture screw on each carb pointing downward just outside the float bowl.
BeerHunter is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperSport
Thread Starter
 
twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 581
twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
The adjustment screws are for fuel on these carbs, not air.
There is a adjuster on each carb ( also know as the pilot screw)
oops, I did mean pilot screw. So the single screw on the rear carb is for balancing only? The pilot/fuel mixture can be set on each carbuerator? In the past I have done this by ear, set one cylinder as perscribed by the manuel and then setting the second by ear and then working the two to get the best balance depending on how ritch or lean I want to go. Same on the hawk?
twist is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  #5  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist View Post
oops, I did mean pilot screw. So the single screw on the rear carb is for balancing only? The pilot/fuel mixture can be set on each carbuerator? In the past I have done this by ear, set one cylinder as perscribed by the manuel and then setting the second by ear and then working the two to get the best balance depending on how ritch or lean I want to go. Same on the hawk?
In one word... YES!
Tweety is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperSport
Thread Starter
 
twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 581
twist is on a distinguished road
since this bike has never been synced, or had any service done to that part of the bike as far as I know of, I am in process of getting that little boost joint for the front carburetor and setting things up for easy sync in the future. I believe the bike is running a tad lean with the addition of the two bros cans so a tweak to the rich side is in order. I think this bike could run better and I think a simple tune up will go a long way to making it run the way a bike like this should run. PO did nothing but change the oil. Off topic: the mobil 1 motorcycle oil has made a slight difference in the way it shifts, for the better!
twist is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM
  #7  
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike
 
Jack Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 1,167
Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Jack Flash is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
  #8  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by twist View Post
since this bike has never been synced, or had any service done to that part of the bike as far as I know of, I am in process of getting that little boost joint for the front carburetor and setting things up for easy sync in the future. I believe the bike is running a tad lean with the addition of the two bros cans so a tweak to the rich side is in order. I think this bike could run better and I think a simple tune up will go a long way to making it run the way a bike like this should run. PO did nothing but change the oil. Off topic: the mobil 1 motorcycle oil has made a slight difference in the way it shifts, for the better!
The bottom end is lean from the factory for emissions reasons.

So to start, I would slowly turn the screws in until they seat lightly while counting the number of turns.

Write this information down and don't be surprised if the rear is open more than the front.

Then open the screws 1\2 turn more than stock. Then write those numbers down.

Now you have a base line and can tweak from there.

Sorry if you already know all this, just trying to give a complete answer.

Also I do believe the bike runs well with 1 size larger pilot jets but that is covered in the carb thread.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
SuperSport
Thread Starter
 
twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 581
twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
The bottom end is lean from the factory for emissions reasons.

So to start, I would slowly turn the screws in until they seat lightly while counting the number of turns.

Write this information down and don't be surprised if the rear is open more than the front.

Then open the screws 1\2 turn more than stock. Then write those numbers down.

Now you have a base line and can tweak from there.

Sorry if you already know all this, just trying to give a complete answer.

Also I do believe the bike runs well with 1 size larger pilot jets but that is covered in the carb thread.
that is basic set, except for one cylinder being a little different. So good information to know! Writing it all down is good advice, too. I have the parts to do your conversion to #48 pilots and modifying the slide. I have a few good projects to do while it's raining and I can't ride. All simple things that should make this bike run better, (it already runs very good, it's hard to hang on and shift at the same time in the lower gears).
twist is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
twist
Technical Discussion
9
12-22-2012 02:40 PM
Technical Discussion
1
05-17-2011 02:52 PM
Fox
Technical Discussion
4
12-14-2010 11:46 AM
senecagreen
Technical Discussion
5
02-16-2006 04:06 PM
cozart02
General Discussion
1
05-05-2005 08:03 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air adjustment screw


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands