Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

99 superhawk with audible crack from engine. Cylinder cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Squid

Donwallace is on a distinguished road
99 superhawk with audible crack from engine. Cylinder cutting out

Hey all. New to the superhawk life. Picked up a 99 hawk for cheap. No fairings and what not. Was given the “street fighter” effect. It definitely needs work. However I listened to it run previous to purchase. It all sounded good for the limited time it ran. Short story long I transferee title today threw it in my work truck and unloaded it at my shop. Did a few road calls and came back at the end of the day. Brought fresh gasoline. Fired her up with some choke and let her idle. Cut the choke and gave some throttle. Starts cutting out as if carbs need cleaned. However after about a minute or two of higher throttle (maybe 3k) I heard an audible crack from engine and lost a cylinder. Assuming rear. Engine died out gradually. Started her right back up without choke and ran fine. A minute or two later same thing happened. Audible crack running on one cylinder. Held idle until another crack was heard and ran on two cylinders again. Carbs need cleaning for sure but I can’t imagine throttle plates sticking like that and making a crack all while under steady load. Anyone ever experience anything like this. I took a video on my iPhone but not sure how to upload it yet
Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Dirty carbs.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
I will say that when I first had mine and it had been sitting for many years, it had a tendency to misfire on one cylinder and while I wouldn't quite describe it as a cracking noise, it was concerning. As much as valve adjustments and carb cleaning sucks on these bikes, I would say it is the first thing you should do as well as check the cam chain tension. Start there. I would.

AV
Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Squid

Ohtwohawk is on a distinguished road
Crack noise

I have a 02 996 and everyone and a while be cruising at a lower idle and I'll get what a call a motor cough or hiccup other than that runs mint aftermarket tensioners... any ideas?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Carb fart - spitting back into airbox is pretty common. Just set the carbs up, balance them and set TPS to spec and fingers crossed. If still occurring esp when on the move which risks stalling it in low speed turns with embarrassing consequences - just up the idle to 1200–1300rrpm