Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

4deg timing advancement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
4deg timing advancement

Does anybody have some before/after specs of their 4 deg timing advancment on their chicken. I'm trying to decide weather or not to keep mine in.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
By "specs" what do you mean? Seat of the pants impression? MPG? I have one on my '99 and I'm happy with it but I did several changes at once so I can't give you a valid comparison.
Not sure what year your bike is but I believe there is some controversy/discussion over efficacy on newer models. There are details if you search, but I don't recall if there were any specific conclusions.
Sounds like you have doubts and you already have one. Did your bike come with it?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I never really cared for it. The next time I'm under the clutch cover I'll probably go back to stock. That said, it's been in there a while so I must not hate it that much.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
im hoping i like it. i did a 6 degree advance on my honda 400ex quad and i hate it. i lost low end power, lost mid range, and it makes a bit more noise but doesnt feel like its making more power.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
By "specs" what do you mean? Seat of the pants impression? MPG? I have one on my '99 and I'm happy with it but I did several changes at once so I can't give you a valid comparison.
Not sure what year your bike is but I believe there is some controversy/discussion over efficacy on newer models. There are details if you search, but I don't recall if there were any specific conclusions.
Sounds like you have doubts and you already have one. Did your bike come with it?
When the new ECU came out with the '01 model it had a different timing curve so the advancers really don't work with the later bikes.

If you have a '98-'00 the 4 degree advancer does work pretty good IMHO.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Advancing the ignition gives you more bottom-mid at the cost of some top end. If I would have thought more about it before installing mine I wouldn't have done it in the first place. The VTR has plenty of low end, it's up top where it could use a few hp. Pretty much the opposite of what an advancer does for you!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Advancing the ignition gives you more bottom-mid at the cost of some top end. If I would have thought more about it before installing mine I wouldn't have done it in the first place. The VTR has plenty of low end, it's up top where it could use a few hp. Pretty much the opposite of what an advancer does for you!
sounds like the opposite of what i want. in theory would retarding the timing have the opposite effect?