Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

48 tooth rear sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whatthefnck
@anyone, what sprocket configuration do you like, and WHY?

about me:
I ride freeways 100+ mph frequently so I dont want to give too many rpms winding up engine more and killing gas mileage. also I like to do power wheelies and havent achieved doing so in 2nd gear with my stock sprocket config.
Power wheelies or "gas mileage", pick one. Keep in mind that "gas mileage" with a Superhawk is a subjective term. You've got the wrong bike if you think you can have both.

On another note, 100 m.p.h. on Houston freeways is a little dangerous don't you think?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whatthefnck
@anyone, what sprocket configuration do you like, and WHY?

about me:
I ride freeways 100+ mph frequently so I dont want to give too many rpms winding up engine more and killing gas mileage. also I like to do power wheelies and havent achieved doing so in 2nd gear with my stock sprocket config.
welcome aboard WTF.

Sounds like you want it all, like an automatic with overdrive. You can see in my signature below what i've been running for the past 18,000 miles and I like it, and before that 15/43 which I like also, not that much diff. This makes for easy power wheelies. I hate freeways and avoid them like the plague, and rpm significantly higher compared to OEM of course, not good for freeways and mileage though.

you can take a link or two off the OEM chain and this will effectively shorten your wheelbase a hair(move the axle up to max, sit back on the seat more, touch your front brake and hit the throttle on fork rebound), and if you back off the rebound adjustment on your forks, they will pop up quicker...and fork oil, air gap, spacer length and spring rate to be considered here too), quick throttle might be something you would like for better power wheelies. Rear spring adjustment like reduce comp setting depending on weight and spring, reduce air pressure rear tire. Naturally, some of these could adversely affect stability in some circumstances.

my suggestions are to install a quick throttle, learn how to slip the clutch and set all your suspension components for best handling. Get on stunt forums and they will likely have wheelie-specific techniques, but rest assured they won't favor low rpms and good fuel mileage which is pretty much non-existent for the hawk even at oem settings.

Last edited by nath981; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
On another note, 100 m.p.h. on Houston freeways is a little dangerous don't you think?
I'd say not so dangerous at all if you choose your times wisely. You ain't gonna get a wider area unless you go to the airport.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I get to be the dick?

I'D SAY WAIT FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES BEFORE POSTING A SECOND TIME, AND USE THE "SEARCH" FUNCTION. This topic has been covered more times than you've gotten laid.

Patience is a virtue, the ability to do research will save you some ridicule.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
I get to be the dick?

I'D SAY WAIT FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES BEFORE POSTING A SECOND TIME, AND USE THE "SEARCH" FUNCTION. This topic has been covered more times than you've gotten laid.

Patience is a virtue...
Get real dude! If he's gonna be waitin around for 5min+ for replies, how he supposed to keep his 3000 texts per month average? whatthefnck.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Sorry I sort of lost interest in this thread since clearly the guy was not playing with a full geck IMHO!

I'm running 16/43, it's a little closer to 1:1 as a final ratio. Honda's are notoriusly under geared on top. While this setup doesn't help a commuter much it does give more driveability, rideability on the backroads.

If your commuting stick with the stock gearing.

Last edited by HRCA#1; 09-30-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Sorry I sort of lost interest in this thread since clearly the guy was not playing with a full geck IMHO!.........
It's not that he doesn't have a full deck, he just bought the wrong bike for what he wants to do. He wants to be like other Gixxer squids and end up splattered on the road late late at night while trying to wheel it at 100+ through traffic on the freeways. It happens EVERY weekend in Dallas and if you're near a major city you see it there too.

The local squid message board is chock full of "I'm gonna run" posts, videos of themselves stunting in heavy traffic or the strafing runs as if they were the "Ghostrider". Yep, every weekend Darwin once again proves his theory.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
The local squid message board is chock full of "I'm gonna run" posts, videos of themselves stunting in heavy traffic or the strafing runs as if they were the "Ghostrider". Yep, every weekend Darwin once again proves his theory.

Suicidal in my view, if you want to go fast go racing!