Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Got to ride a GSXR1000 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Got to ride a GSXR1000 today

went by our local shop and they had an 06 with 1000 miles on it. I don't know how many of you have been on a liter bike from the past 5 years ( I had not since about 02). We were talking about bikes and the work I'd been doing on mine and I commented that it has all the power I need and I couldn't imagine what one of the new 1000's is like. The owner is a nice guy and said go find out, we have a used one right there. So I took it out on a nice backroad nearby. I have to say I was really impressed. The power is so excessive that even the lower midrange is hugely powerful. This thing redlined about 13,5 I think and anywhere from 6 and up it was all the power you could want instantly. I went into the ride thinking, big top end, but our SH have more real world power. No way. This is equally usable power in the midrange. Its just that the top end is also jet like. I also really liked the seating position, way out over the front wheel, especially when compared to the SH. The fit/finish/controls/fueling - all right on and refined. And comfort-wise it was at least as comfortable positioning, a slight buzz below about 6K though. And while I'm sure it would be easy to kill yourself on it with a hamfisted approach, if you are halfway sensible its also very easy to ride. And whats wrong with power wheelies anytime you like?

Anyway, I have too much blood/sweat and tears in my current bike to sell it anytime soon. But I can see why these bikes are so popular. If you are an experienced rider, they really have it all. And I liked thinking my SH midrange and torque held an advantage, that disappears when comparing to these big superbikes.

Anyway, if you haven't been on one in 5 years, they have moved light years ahead and you should try to steal a ride sometime.

bill
Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I agree with you 100% , The guy I ride with in the mountains has one . We have swapped rides before . The 06 Gixxer 1k is amazingly fast (bottom end torque and top end screamer) handles light years ahead of the Hawk , as it should for over $ 10k ! On the long sweepers & straightaways he can run off and leave me, But on the tight technical stuff I keep up ( and sometimes pass him ) . Even he admits for most of the kind of riding we do its almost too much to handle at times. Dont get me wrong I would love to have one . But the Hawks paid for !( and it can hold its own ) And besides my wife would have a **** fit if I went out and spent that kind of $$$ on a bike. ( even if its worth it )