Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2000 Superhawk

Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
2000 Superhawk

Well I am new to this site, From Kansas City. I ended up buying last Sunday a 2000 Superhawk with 29,000 on it for $2400. Talked the guy down. I had a couple questions on these bikes being this is my first honda, came from suzuki.

1. How reliable are these bikes, regular maintainence and bike runs great, or pain in the butt.

2. Any problems I should expect or know about at certain mileage?

3. Being a V-Twin, is it normal for these bikes to have vibration, idle pretty much being such a loud bike?

4. When I bought the bike i listened to it, to me i didnt hear any valve noise or excessive noise. I rode the bike this morning thought maybe I might have heard a very faint knock but could just be my imagination.

5. What is usually the average lifespan on these bikes, i know hondas run forever, but if properly maintained.

Any tips and help on making these bikes run forever would be great.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum. This is a great place for more info than most people will ever need about the Hawks. As a fellow newbie, I would suggest spending a weekend reading through all the sticky notes and just get comfortable with the search function. It has already saved me a couple of headaches while just doing some general maintenance.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
These bikes tend to go for a long time with proper maintenance. The only parts that tend to fail are the stock regulator/rectifier (R/R) and the stock auto cam chain tensioners (CCTs). You can find lots of info and opinions on this forum about both.

My bike is a 1998 with about 33,000 miles. It burns a slight bit of oil (about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles), but no other issues. I had the stock R/R fail at about 30,000 miles and replaced it with an aftermarket R/R, and I replaced the stock CCTs with APE manual CCTs at about the same mileage just as a precaution.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
The problem areas have already been mentioned- other than regular maintenance, you need to do nothing but run those miles up. In the low rpms these bikes have some unusual noises (carb slides clicking, etc) that throw first time riders off a little bit. Keep it above 3k rpm and most of them go away.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
At that mileage, you may want to do a valve lash check at some point and make sure your brake and clutch fluids are up to par. It's not unusual to hear of a shawk going over 50k or 80k miles.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the circus. Like others have said, cam chain tensioners and regulator rectifier are the main mechanical issues. From what I understand, Honda's are easier to maintain and work on than Suzuki's, by a long shot. Aside from the aforementioned, these bikes will go over 80k without a problem, if properly maintained!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Squid

yeah i am loving the bike so far. lots of power and love the sound of the V-Twin. I am taking it to a shop here this weekend to get a once over on the bike and make sure everything is working great. If i need to replace the CCT, how much do those usually cost installed? I am relieved to here these bikes run for a long time.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
$120 for APE tensioners, install depends on where you take it. Just be sure if you don't do it yourself, you go somewhere that knows exactly what they are doing.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.

You made the right choice. It's a relatively low compression engine which means longevity and you can use the cheap (regular) gas. It's basically a tractor with a fairing...
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Yes, I love that I can use 87 octane. These bikes have relatively poor fuel economy, but at least I can pay less for regular gas.

And on the topic of CCTs, I'd recommend swapping them yourself. I had very little mechanical experience before owning this bike, but I've learned a lot by fiddling with it. There is a good write-up on this forum about how to swap them yourself, and you will not only save money doing it yourself, but you'll learn some stuff about your bike in the process. Just BE CAREFUL to follow the instructions. You can mess up your bike if you screw up a CCT swap (but so can your mechanic). I followed the directions, took the precautions, took my time, and I had no issues.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Squid

sounds good guys, thanks for the info on the bike, today was a little cold but 2 marrow and the next week is gonna be in the 70s bike is gonna be out all the time
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Squid

oh that was my question. would running 91 octane in these bikes help or make it worse?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's a complete waste of money... But everyone is free to waste money...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
And so you meet...Tweety, a venerable database of knowledge. I've been able to avoid his wrath by wearing out the very useful and complete "search" function on this site. Before taking your SHawk to a shop to swap out the OEM CCT's for manual ones take out some tools and look at this:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/
If not you may unfortunately have the same problem this forum member did:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cct-why-23838/
Welcome and enjoy the journey!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Squid

on the CCT's, for a shop how long should it take them to change it out? i am thinking about going ahead and having them look at them, and change them if they think they need it. what do you guys think.