Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2-3k closed circuit BONANZA!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
2-3k closed circuit BONANZA!

ok, you guys have helped like mad... now im only tweaking, but-without embarassment decelling to a stop light in city driving and NOT catching my girlfriends designer jeans on fire from the "blue flame" - i need your help.

a post by JB in july said:

"superbling,
your 2-3rpm cough went away after raising the needle. what position are you on the needle.
My bike runs great from idle to redline when on the gas. I have a cough at 2-3 when i am at not on the gas. i have adjusted the mixture screws and it is almost gone... but still there stightly."

mine does this too. i went from 2 turns to 3 turns out and still did it with my dynojet kit and K&N filter. all it does is lets say im in 2,3,or 4th gear at like 5k rpms. if i let go of the throttle completely, the rpms go down but as they hit about 2-3k, the pipes start to puff puff out of them, and the puffs are almost TIMED right with the cycles of the twin, about 3 puffs every second. and at night time, if i turn around as the engine is naturally decelling into the 2-3.5k range, a BLUE flame will come out about 6-12" . lol .
my needles are 5 rings up, so raised pretty high, and my idle screws are currently 2.5 turns out. i DO have a dynojet kit, k&n filter,PAIR gone, and MIG high mounts.
a post before said he raised the needles and it helped. the thing is, a closed circuit(throttle not being touched AT ALL) means mix screws, but it coincidentally happens right when its at the JET NEEDLE RPM range. no flat spots, just decel puffing continuously down 2-3k. went from 2 turns out to 3 turns, didnt really notice a difference. i know IN THEORY the main jets wont have anything to do with this, but havent played with them yet. theyre at 175/180.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Re: 2-3k closed circuit BONANZA!

Your rich . It takes fuel to blow a flame . Your needles are way high for a streeter also . Do you have the stock washer still with the Dyno jet needles AND have them set on 5th position ? If so , the needle might not even be able to close off the needle jet completely especially if the seat is worn and elongated .

By chance is the motor trying to loose cam chain tension ? Any internal chain noise ?

Miles ?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

yes, the needle is at 5th and i do have the stock washer and dynojet washer sanswhiching the Eclip. ok, so ill drop it to 3 and hold it at a steady throttle opening state 2-3k and see if it sputters or jerks? then to ring 4? its a constant puff puff puff and MAYBE a pop . ill try it out, just thought i needed 5th ring cus of compensating for HUGE open race MIG pipes. so no mix screw or main jet here eh? i thought so, just weird cus FUEL CIRCUITS(mix screws, jet needle, main jet) are activated by THROTTLE opening NOT RPM position... guess this time is an exception. and no, the cam chain is making no noise at all. woohoo!!!! carb pull again! thanks again guys
Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok guys, i droped my needles to the fourth ring so theyre deeper in the emulsion tube(4th from the flat end) , ... now it coughs and sputters around 3-4k while holding a steady throttle. , lol . never did THAT before! my 5th ring was more accuracte oddly enough... ill try 6th ring today. it was puffin still on decel around 2-4k , but with much more backfire pops now. maybe i have an intake leak? just too weird its only in that range of RPMs . oh well, gotta love the personality of the hawk! its fun
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok, ive come to the conclusion that the 6th ring is phenomenal, MORE power, sharper response.... but yeah......

UNTIL i got to the red light of death... it hit at 83 miles!!! typically right at about 99miles with the 5th ring. i was bummed. still had some coughing and puffing and blue flame, just not as much. guess im gonna have to live with that! well, i would presume you could almost say that if im gettin less than 95 miles when the light comes on, im rich in whatever circuit. so i confirmed it with 2 tankfulls, and then put it back today to 5th ring... blah. its ok, but response doesnt seem there and 100% SMOOTHNESS in 3k-5k range isnt there anymore..no hesitation in that range, just can FEEL it leanin. but with todays gas prices, i cant take havin the red light come on at 75-85 miles. maybe i should keep on 5th ring, and up the main jets? i dunno. but i sure do miss the 6th ring. damn gas mileage.

also, on the 6th, the slight carb cough at like 2 miles an hour(only sometimes) disappeared. in other words, everything seems right, BUT the mileage. suggestions?