CLEARCOATING BONANZA

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
CLEARCOATING BONANZA

hey guys.... went to this website

http://www.color-rite.com/index.php?...ab6a1384c210d7

and got the vtr1000f "italian red" aerosal can they suggested and redid my lower fairing by sharkskinz. it seems the previous owner was 230 pounds and when he would corner to the right, would scrape the lower fairing. well, got the paint, and touched it up nice. now that link will bring you to the clearcoat page. it looks nice, HOWEVER, i need it to shine like the rest of the factory paint... you know, like a woman's fingernails after she gets em done nice. btw, the paint DOEs match nice with the rest. has anyone had any success with other clearcoats or will this one be fine??? i just need it to shine. i also need some plastic bondo where the very bottom is almost going through the fairing from scraping.... any suggestions in either department (clearcoat thats REAL shiny or bondo that will stick good) would be helpfull. thanks again.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: CLEARCOATING BONANZA

I know it's expensive but it's best to stick with color-rite's clear as good paints are a system and introducing an unknow to the mix my ruin your otherwise good repair.

Speaking of repair, don't use bondo as a repair medium. It's not meant for that and has no strength. My aftermarket lower has been repaired with fiberglass patchs from behind and is aging well.

As for a final shine: after the clear coat has dried sufficiently (think days), use a final glaze, fine scratch remover. This is a liquid polish and is easily applied and rubbed off. A machine polisher will produce even better results with it. Then add a couple of LIGHT coats of your favorite wax.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

priceless info bling.... ill try it this weekend.
:P
Old 03-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

superbling,

http://www.plumbingrepairproducts.com/Products/rk.htm

see that ATP pipe repair tape? what you think of that for the inside of the sharkskinz belly fairing? says it hardens like a rock. obviously ide have to clean and burn the surface to remove oils in there from ridin.... then sand it nice with 220 grit and use some type of epoxy to stick the tape. this is my guess. this stuff seems pretty good. say the word and ill snag a roll.