Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1998 VTR runs rough at high rpm under a load

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Squid

V-Twin Torque is on a distinguished road
2 diaphragms?

Originally Posted by Meier Link
Yes the diaphram that is in cased under the tank. The petcock assembly has three hoses hooked up to it 2 fuel lines and a vac line.

There will be 2 diaphragms a spring and a rubber cap in the assembly. If either diaphram is damaged it will cause a lot of head aches. I know this from experience. I did a visual check on mine and it seemed fine and my problems got progressively worse. Next time I pulled it apart I had a huge hole in it. It formed in less then a few weeks.

Also make sure you hook the vac line into the correct port when reconnecting. It goes to the rear of the assembly not on the nipple facing downwards.
I will check the whole assambly again. The vac line is on the correct nipple. If I cant find anything, my next step is to check cam position and adjust the valves while in there... Thanks for the help so far. I am really getting tired of this problem:-( i have been driven like this for four months now. The owner before me, had it like this for two years:-/ I hope I will figure this out soon:-)
Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Squid

Checked...

Originally Posted by V-Twin Torque
I will check the whole assambly again. The vac line is on the correct nipple. If I cant find anything, my next step is to check cam position and adjust the valves while in there... Thanks for the help so far. I am really getting tired of this problem:-( i have been driven like this for four months now. The owner before me, had it like this for two years:-/ I hope I will figure this out soon:-)
Hi again. Sorry for stealing this thread, but i have this same problem, and are about to solve it This weekend i adjusted the valve clearence to optimum position, and checked cam positions. It runs a bit better and smoother, but still the same problem:-(

I have now ridden the bike a lot on high rpms today, and it got a lot worse. It runs on one sylinder most of the time, but runs on two when over about 2/3 throttle. I remember i had this same problem with an outbord engine i had once. Ended up being a bad coil. Fuel, sparkplugs and caps, air and all that is fine. I am now 95% sure it is a bad coil. I have tested the ohms on both coils some weeks ago. Was bad connection but fixed it. By checking the resistance, I can check connectiveties, but thats not good enough. I will get some new coils, and get back to you guys. Thanks for the help so far. Sorry for my English btw
Old 12-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Squid

Still the same problem:-(

Hi again.

The problem is still here:-( the reason it only ran on one sylinder was from cooling fluid spraying over the plug caps(I think) i filled it too much up before testing. After a while it dried off and worked as before. Still struggling with under high load and high rpm. Back to the drawing bord.

I have not synced the carbs yet and will try new cdi box if it not works after the carb sync. That is about the last things that can possible couse the problem!! I cant come up with anything else. Cheers
Old 12-31-2015, 12:14 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
These bikes are finicky!

You have to be methodical and try fixes by using the elimination method.

Have you checked the air filter?

Have you checked the resistance of the coils and leads again?

Are the carbs seated properly ?

Are your choke fittings intact?

Are your battery terminals tight?

It could be a lot of other things, however remove the tank, have a good look around, check that the exhaust is sealed and not sucking air.

It is a process of elimination, do one thing at a time otherwise you won't know what the problem is or was .

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:51 AM
Squid

Working on it:-)

Originally Posted by kenmoore
These bikes are finicky!

You have to be methodical and try fixes by using the elimination method.

Have you checked the air filter?

Have you checked the resistance of the coils and leads again?

Are the carbs seated properly ?

Are your choke fittings intact?

Are your battery terminals tight?

It could be a lot of other things, however remove the tank, have a good look around, check that the exhaust is sealed and not sucking air.

It is a process of elimination, do one thing at a time otherwise you won't know what the problem is or was .

Good luck.
Hi. I have done all these thing you wrote here. I am running out of possibilities, wich is good:-) I hope I can find the problem during the last checks:-) thanks so far...
Old 01-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
I may suggest checking for any intake leaks (a can of butane), check all over the carbs/intake seating areas. I would also pull the carbs and completely take them down checking the jets and needles for sizing and obstructions. Anything "floating" around can be brought up to a jet when the pressures build. From what you describe I think you have a fueling issue in the carbs. Also if you have access to a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer check the fuel/air ratio at all engine speeds with someone astride the bike.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Have you thought of the plug wires, either being frayed, or not connected solidly in the spark plug caps, or at the coils?