Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Whatcha wear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Whatcha wear?

List your riding gear from head to toe.

Helmet
Jacket
Pads
Pants
Gloves
Boots

This might give some readers an idea of what to look for when looking for gear.
I see alot of new members on hear lately and lot of down riders so I thought it be a good idea to inspire them to suit up for the ride or just share what you wear.
It's all good, as long as your wearing it.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
KBC airborne series helmet
Astar MX-1 jacket
Joe rocket phoenix mesh jacket for hot days
icon jeans(non-commute riding) I wear jeans over slacks when I'm going to work
Astar gp plus gloves
Joe rocket mid-top street shoes for work and local rides.
Astar SMX boots for long rides and trackdays
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Talking

ARAI RX7-RR Helmet
Sunglasses
Aerostich Roadcrafter 1pc full suit, with back, shoulder, elbow/arm, hip, knee
Pants
Underwear
socks
Joe Rocket or A* boots
Joe Rocket, or Frank Thomas Gauntlet gloves
and a smile
Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have several things I choose from:

Helmet: Scorpion exo400 or Icon Airframe. I prefer the scorpion most of the time, but have a mirrored visor on the Icon and sometimes just grab it rather than swap to my tinted Scorpion one. (I want to get my Scorpion custom painted)

Jacket: Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 or Powertrip errm all weather mesh thingy. lol and a "Mad Max" style leather jacket I sometimes break out.

Pants: Joe Rocket mesh overpants that zip to the Phoenix jacket

Gloves: Joe Rocket gauntlets or more often: generic thin leather gauntlets made locally no pads (they held up well in my accident, and provided the protection needed)

Boots: Frank Thomas Pro Stunt boots

Edit: In my experience the MOST important thing is comfort. I had some expensive boots that just were not comfortable, so I switched to the cheaper Frank Thomas ones that I wear every time. The gear you are actually wearing is more important than the $5000 one piece suit that is in your closet because it was too much of a pain to put on. lol

Last edited by lazn; 07-30-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'm sitting hear reading your post and my 9 year old comes over and looks at the screen, which is normal, I try to share the enthusiasm I have for motorcycling. Then I realize your avatar is inappropriate for our young audience.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
old answer gloves and a no name snell helmet.... i live about 2000ft from work so normally i just jump on in shorts, t-shirt, and my caliber rated safety glasses. which is bad practice since i live at one of the worst intersections in town.

on the dirt i have an HJC helmet, answer gloves and answer chest protector, dont ware the chest gaurd as much as i should though.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Helmet
Full Leathers
Back protector
Gloves
Boots
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I'm sitting hear reading your post and my 9 year old comes over and looks at the screen, which is normal, I try to share the enthusiasm I have for motorcycling. Then I realize your avatar is inappropriate for our young audience.

This could've been said to him in a PM, not in the middle of his thread. Some people would consider your use of someone getting a spanking inappropriate, I mean is that a sex partner, someone who did something wrong, yet you use it.

Gimme a break. This forum is for people who ride Superhawks. I don't know of anyone under the age of 16 who is allowed to ride one on public roads.

IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A PARENT TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE VIEWING. NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD TO WALK ON EGG SHELLS BECAUSE YOUR CHILD MIGHT SEE SOMETHING THEY POSTED OR THEIR AVATAR.

BTW, yes, I am a parent of 2 children, so I can say that. I alone am responsible for what they view, not YOU or anyone else on this forum.

Another fine example of people blaming someone else for something instead of bearing the responsibility that they chose to accept.

Have a wonderful day.

I'm prepared for any and all shots across the bow, and I will return fire.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
This could've been said to him in a PM, not in the middle of his thread.
"Hello pot, my name is kettle"

Originally Posted by Erik S.
IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A PARENT TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE VIEWING. NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD TO WALK ON EGG SHELLS BECAUSE YOUR CHILD MIGHT SEE SOMETHING THEY POSTED OR THEIR AVATAR.
+5000
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
Shark RSF2I helmet
Icon leather armored jacket
Icon gauntlet leather gloves
Icon mesh armored pants
Alpinestar SMX5 boots
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Arai Phil Read replica helmet
Cortech GX Air textile jacket, or Joe Rocket perforated Sonic 2.0 leather jacket
Draggin' kevlar jeans
Oxtar SS Performance boots (Oxtar is now know as TCC)
AGV Sport GPR gloves
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
HJC
Motoport cordura Ultra ll jacket
Firstgear H20 pants
Held or Rev`it H2O gloves
Daytona boots
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Exo 700 or KBC modular
Joe Rocket Honda leather jacket
Joe Rocket ?.0 ballistic textile pants
Fieldsheer gauntlet gloves, with CF knuckles and Kangaro palms (most exotic $45 gloves ever)
Oxtar full boot
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
Helmet: AGV Stealth (gloss black)

Jacket: Dainese Zen (black) or Alpinestars TZ-1 (black/grey)

Pads: none
Pants: none

Gloves: Spidi Sport Composite R (black)

Boots: Sidi Vertigo Corsa

*Suit*: Dainese Laguna Seca Pelle (perforated/white)

(haha had to throw that last pic in cuz i'm still stoked about the track from monday!)

yes. i spent a fortune on gear. BUT if its any better, i got all the crap for damn good prices haha.

Last edited by thefauxnarchist; 07-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Good ideas about the riding gear you guys are wearing. Maybe this will give some other riders something to look for next time they are shopping for gear. Not everyone has to wear the best gear that is made, but maybe they will chose something else besides jeans and a t-shirt.

As far as my avatar goes...um? I changed it a while back to suit someone else's opinion.
They had a similar comment. But then I got to thinking after reading a few more of their post and saw their views and opinions. So I changed it back to what you see now. Why should I conform to someone else's opinion if, on an adult targeted website, if I feel I am doing no wrong and maybe having a little fun with my avatar. I use the internet to gather information and share views with others of like minds. If my avatar offends, I am sorry. But I'm not gonna change it. It has been up there for years(joined 2005). I don't come on hear to debate or offend. I like to get along with everyone.
Ask yourself how you would have handled the same situation if you were viewing "Swordfish's" bikini carwash thread? Would you have made a similar comment to him or any other thread with adult targeted photos or comments. And yes, a PM would have been nice. That is how I was notified from the first offended person several months ago. How many members here and only 2 complaints? Poll anyone? Let the members decide...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
thefauxnarchist - how do you like that helmet? how does it compare comfort wise/noise wise to arai? can never find much opinion about the AGV helmets out there, but I do like the look of a couple of them
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
for street riding:

full helmet
gloves
full armored jacket/pants (textile or leather depending on day)
vertigo boots
Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
"Hello pot, my name is kettle"
I concede to that point Drew.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
cliby:

love my agv, however my asian (literally) head fits arai's better. my ears fold up a little bit when i put on the helmet.

flow is awesome with my stealth, but so is road noise haha. it's pretty damn loud.

fit and finish is good, but different than what you would expect of the japanese manufacturers.

what sealed the deal for me with the helmet was price, look, and safety rating. i made my safety judgement on the UK's SHARP rating, which rated it higher than basically most other arai, shoei, and agv helmets. i got a cracking deal on the helmet for $180 flat almost a year ago i think. what else is really nice about the helmet is that its so damn light. its EXTREMELY light.

anyways, good point, you dont HAVE TO HAVE THE MOST EXPENSIVE GEAR. i just happened to go on a binge. any gear as long as its correct moto gear willow do the job just the same.

(but if you prefer that super buttery d-tec leather, then dainese is your only choice haha)
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Bell Star helmet
Olympia AST jacket
Olympia Airglide 2 pants
Held gloves
Vendramini boots
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by motojoe
Ask yourself how you would have handled the same situation if you were viewing "Swordfish's" bikini carwash thread? Would you have made a similar comment to him or any other thread with adult targeted photos or comments. And yes, a PM would have been nice. That is how I was notified from the first offended person several months ago. How many members here and only 2 complaints? Poll anyone? Let the members decide...
this issue occured to me when I started the bikini bike wash thread. but i seriously doubt that we all want to hold ourselves to what is safe for a 9 year old. as long as the threads are straight forward about what's in them, (ie. "my bikini bike wash summer") I think that's pretty suggestive of what's going to be in the thread. no threads titled "barney's fun time" and then have a bunch of nudie pics. so as long as the threads aren't confusing or diceptive, as the parent, ITS ON YOU 97Wolverine. I suppose we could label threads with questionable content NWS(not work safe) as I've seen on other forums, but at this point, given what's on this forum I really don't think its necessary. and while its not my kid, unless your 9 year old asks you, "daddy, why is that devil taking it to that angel as if her tonsils have an itch?", I wouldn't worry. sorry to break topic, I was mentioned so felt compelled to respond. PM me for further discussion.

Last edited by swordfish; 07-31-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I originally bought a HJC CS-R1 helmet (the cheapie 70 dollar one) so i could get my endorsement, but a friend let me borrow his KBC Gun Slinger helmet, and holy moses what a world of difference! They both have about the same wind noise but the KBC feels like it has alot more padding. The vents in the top the KBC seem to cool me off a little, but for some reason the chin vent doent seem to flow as well as i thought i should... I just ordered the following: (yes, ill admit, I love the style of the Icon (HJC) stuff

Icon Death or Glory helmet in black

Name:  airframe.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  28.3 KB

Icon Speedfreak jacket

Icon Victory riding pants

Name:  pants.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  12.0 KB

Icon short TiMax Gloves in black.

Name:  glove.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  20.6 KB

Wolverine steel toe 8" boots (required for work)

By the way.... those SIDI boots up there are SICK! I WANT!