Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Important helmet survey!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Important helmet survey!!!!!

So, I bought some chatterbox communicators, and neither of my helmets will accommodate the speakers or the mount. I need to find a helmet that will work and one that I like. This is my census so far:

AGV GP1-no accomodation whatsoever

AGV Stealth-could do, but not without major compromise to the designed mounting.

HJC's, almost all have some room for the speakers and will work, not perfect. They got rid of the pocket that they had a few years ago.

Nolan(replica helmet)-no accommodation

joe rocket- no accom.

Icon- accommodations are small (designed for small speakers)

Bell sprint- no

Bell Star- ********* this has major accommodations. It is designed to have the speakers snapped into the liner (not velcro-d). This is the style of mounting that I would like to see. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of this. problem, helmet is $$$$! List is 549, they are on sale for 419, I can get it at 315, and ebay has them (not many) for 299. That is still more that I paid for the "good" helmet that I bought just a year ago.

What I need:

If you have a com system, what helmet and how'd the mounting go???

If you have a helmet, and it isn't listed or you feel that it should be more detailed or I have incorrect information, please add.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i removed the foam on my shoei RF1000 and made a little recess.
did the same to my AGV ( argon iirc ).

tim
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I installed a chatterbox on my Arai RX7RR with no problems. The mount screw clamps onto the side of the helmet, and the speakers fit under the fabric liner/on top of the foam.

what kinds of problems are you having getting it to work with your current helmet? and what IS your current helmet?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
My old RF-800 and my dad's EXO-1000 worked fine with some velcro.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I got a Cardo Scala system to fit my Shoei RF1000, the speakers are a close fit, my left ear tends to fold over when I put the helmet on then I have to wiggle it around to get it right. I also installed a thin pad on the side with the mount.

Also installed the same in an Arai, the base of those helmets is tricky because it has that thick rubber surround on it. On the Arai, the side pads cover the ear holes, the pad is just thinner. So instead of cutting/sewing the pad, I just attached the speaker to it, seems to work.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pimpsterbim1
My old RF-800 and my dad's EXO-1000 worked fine with some velcro.

Velcro. Got a picture?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Squid

bradyh30 is on a distinguished road
the nolan setup for the n-com should work awesome. i sell helmets, jackets, and other apparel at a local motorcycle shop and the nolan helmets that are setup for the n-com kit are the n-com area has holding areas for the ear pieces and also little channels for the wires to run through... The Bell Star is an awesome helmet BTW it has a full kevlar shell with shield lock and a shield "cracked" setting that opens the shiels 1/4". Besides the amazing airflow and aerodynamics the lightness of the helmet is what really amazes people.. hope this helps
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
i broke down. After searching the three dealers that supply us, and looking for a reasonable option, I bought a Gmax. The pockets for the ears were huge. This is not a high quality helmet a(bell star), but for a helmet setup just for comm, it will work. I have an AGV stealth currently that I ride and will continue to ride when the comm isn't needed.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 AM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
Velcro. Got a picture?
No, I sold my rf-800. But all i did was buy some self-adhesive strips of velcro. Put a little on the ear pieces to hold them in opening of the helmet liner, did the same with the mouth piece, and tucked the wires. It worked great, and was easily removable.

I believe my dad's EXO-1000 had pockets for the ear pieces.