Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that some of the snell standards are a bit too high but I also believe the way dot goes about thier testing is a bit too laxed, somewhere in between like ece or bsi is probably a better option but yes i agree price does not equal saftey.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I'm using that already. Wish it was a rubber piece like my Scorpion, that foam one damages easily.

Also the mechanism to crack open the visor on the RF1000 is garbage.

This is the 2nd Shoei I've broke one on, they only seem to last a few months at most. The detent either wears off and doesn't hold the visor open, or the plastic on it cracks and doesn't hold tension on it.
That's really weird. I bought my RF-1000 in '03 (it'll be replaced soon just due to how long it's been in service). In foggy Florida I use the vent tab a lot and it's not given me the slightest issue. I'm not a lightweight sometimes rider, either, I haven't owned a car since '01 so my lids see a lot of use! I do also have an AGV and an X-Lite in the rotation, but the Shoei is my main lid for long trips and track days because it's by far the best lid I've owned.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MotorToad
That's really weird. I bought my RF-1000 in '03 (it'll be replaced soon just due to how long it's been in service). In foggy Florida I use the vent tab a lot and it's not given me the slightest issue. I'm not a lightweight sometimes rider, either, I haven't owned a car since '01 so my lids see a lot of use! I do also have an AGV and an X-Lite in the rotation, but the Shoei is my main lid for long trips and track days because it's by far the best lid I've owned.
NO issues with mine either, where do you live motortoad and what tracks do you ride? I'm going up to Jennings on the 27th and 28th come join me private td for $200 for both days.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
I'm in Panama City right now, but I couldn't **** the money for a track day right now if I was eating gold bars twice a day. I've ridden Jennings a few times, several days at Barber and a few at TGPR, though.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Squid

Cursio is on a distinguished road
Have none of you tried Pinlock? http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/
I have been using Pinlock in my two last visors in my Shoei Raid II helmet, and I haven't seen a sign of fogging in the Pinlock-zone, even in heavy, heavy rain and slow traffic! Recommended!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
PS I'll bet 90%+ of guys who ride never read that "blowing the lid off" article. If you can afford and really want a helmet that costs six or eight hundred dollars, by all means go for it. Just don't believe you need to spend that much to protect your head. Lot of guys don't have $600 for a helmet and shouldn't feel bad about it.
I bought my near-new Shoei RF1000 for $150. Nobody here is chiding you about their $600 Arai/Suomi/Whatever. Who are you arguing with?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MotorToad
You should be wearing ear plugs no matter what helmet you have. Even with "quiet" helmets, you get way too much wind noise over 50 mph

I have a question about this. (Im new, so i need to ask) If im wearing earplugs, wouldnt that drown out the sound of potential danger? Ie: cars slamming on thier brakes from behind... ambulances / fire engines etc... ? I understand the need for protecting your ears (5 years in aircraft maintenance taught me that) and ive seen earplugs on different vendors sites, but id be worried that its what i didnt hear that would cause me grief.

Like i said, im new at the motorcycle thing so please, let me know if im missing the big picture.

Oh, and to stay on topic, Im borrowing my buddies KBC gunslinger helmet right now. It leaks air right into my eyes even with all the vents closed (just started noticing it on a 65 degree morning) so bad that they start watering as soon as i leave my subdivision and get on the main road. I just ordered an Icon and hope it seals a little better.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
That's a difference worth paying extra for. I had two scorpions and both had the same issue with wind blowing past the visor into my eyes. The visor would also whistle like crazy any time there was a cross breeze.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cursio
Have none of you tried Pinlock? http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/
I have been using Pinlock in my two last visors in my Shoei Raid II helmet, and I haven't seen a sign of fogging in the Pinlock-zone, even in heavy, heavy rain and slow traffic! Recommended!
That's what I use. No more fogging up for me with one of these little beauties. I'd recommend these too!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
I have a question about this. (Im new, so i need to ask) If im wearing earplugs, wouldnt that drown out the sound of potential danger? Ie: cars slamming on thier brakes from behind... ambulances / fire engines etc... ? I understand the need for protecting your ears (5 years in aircraft maintenance taught me that) and ive seen earplugs on different vendors sites, but id be worried that its what i didnt hear that would cause me grief.
I wear the HEAROS soft foam earplugs every time I ride and I don't have a problem not hearing things. I can hear my pipes clear as a bell and still hear cars or trucks approaching...just try them, they're cheap enough to make up your own mind.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I've had Shoeis since I've had full-face helmets and they work pretty well for me. Mostly it's an issue of proper fit - Arais don't fit my head.

As for fogging, for me it has depended a lot on the weather where I'm riding - wet, damp weather means fogged visor, otherwise it's pretty clear, and I don't use a breath guard.

Speaking of helmets ... they sure have gotten expensive over the years.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
I have a Shoei TZ-1 (not too old) but I run a pinlock face shield w/ a yellow HD pinlock insert, no breath guard. I'm told (and have seen) that pinlocks DON'T fog. I've had the borders of the shield fog wear there is no pinlock insert, but have never had the pinlock-zone fog in all types of weather. This has happened many times riding with people who's visors have fogged up. It is pretty cool.
Plus the yellow insert makes edges and road inconsistancies more defined (same concept as modern ski goggles).
For the price of a fancy tinted visor the pinlock visor is a GREAT buy.
For normal weather the regular shield I have works just fine.

Originally Posted by Cleveland
your head fits you GF's helmet?
My GF's and I wear the same helmet size. I think it is fairly common in fact.

Last edited by FlamFlamMan; 09-12-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Own an AGV and a Shoei RF1000. The Shoei is my favorite lid as the fit is good and I have never had any fogging problems. Don't use any "anti-fog" stuff, just clean the visor with soap n water. On cooler mornings I do wear a bandanna over my nose/mouth under my helmet, but thats just for added warmth.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RickB
I use "never fog" on my RF900 and 700 before and no complaints - clarity is very good with the clear and the blue irridium shields I have for it. I haven't tried a 1000 so I cannot compare it to the older models.
Speaking of the RF900, have you had problems getting a new shield? I just got one, but they said it was the last in stock and that design is now discontinued by Shoei.