SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/not-impressed-shoei-face-shields-visors-16151/)

CentralCoaster 09-15-2008 09:07 AM

Not impressed with Shoei face shields/visors.

Anyone else have beef with these?

I've tried two different new Shoei RF1000 helmets, the visors fog up worse than any other visor I've used, and have poor clarity. Makes night riding difficult at times and the UV coating seems to make it worse, and they seem to soak up every finger print or spec of grime. Defogger spray doesn't seem to help.

I had two cheapo Scorpions, two different KBCs for a few weeks, and tried my g/f's Arai, no issues with these ones.

I love the fit of the helmet, except for the massive airflow behind my ears that gets deafening. I'm going to try ear plugs and a different visor.

Any recommendations?

Death Cattle 09-15-2008 09:18 AM

kbc has always worked great for me. i havent had any other helmets though, so unfortunately, i dont have a reference against them.

Cleveland 09-15-2008 09:24 AM

your head fits you GF's helmet?

Cleveland 09-15-2008 09:26 AM

I have a cheapo Z1R.. the wind noise is loud. Is this the case with most helmets? I ask cause you mentioned the wind noise..

I ride with the visor cracked ALL the time, cause if I dont it fogs up on me..

Erik S. 09-15-2008 09:36 AM

I have issues with the fogging, but not clarity. I use Plexus and clean the faceshield often, and when it's clean, it's like it's not there as far as how clear it is.

I have a replacement chin curtain on, see if that helps with wind flow.

I ordered a Foggy from aerostich.com, it will definitley help with the fogging as it gets colder.

bcsnave 09-15-2008 09:42 AM

I have a Honda SR4 (Shoei RF1000). I have the chin curtain and the nose piece in and it does get loud. It really isn't too bad for fogging.

RickB 09-15-2008 09:42 AM

I use "never fog" on my RF900 and 700 before and no complaints - clarity is very good with the clear and the blue irridium shields I have for it. I haven't tried a 1000 so I cannot compare it to the older models.

motojoe 09-15-2008 09:45 AM

Ditto on the use of Plexus. If your not using this product, you should. It seals the pores in the plastic. That is how it works so well. Think... plexiglass. It was made for the airline industry. My Shoei X-11 doesn't fog up at all when I use it and the bugs come right off when I use it as a cleaner. Use ear plugs to keep the high frequency wind noise from making your ears ring.

Erik S. 09-15-2008 09:53 AM

With Plexus, it's almost a daily requirement, and then it works awesome. I notice fogging when I haven't cleaned it in a while.

RickB 09-15-2008 10:00 AM

+2 I use plexus on the windscreen, sure does seem to help the bugs to come off easier.

Originally Posted by motojoe (Post 181348)
Ditto on the use of Plexus. If your not using this product, you should. It seals the pores in the plastic. That is how it works so well. Think... plexiglass. It was made for the airline industry. My Shoei X-11 doesn't fog up at all when I use it and the bugs come right off when I use it as a cleaner. Use ear plugs to keep the high frequency wind noise from making your ears ring.

Anto 09-15-2008 12:46 PM

honda polish for me! with a microfiber works well

CentralCoaster 09-15-2008 01:08 PM

So you guys put the Plexus on the inside and the outside? Cleaner and defogger?

CentralCoaster 09-15-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cleveland (Post 181338)

Yeah, so what's it to ya? I have a medium sized forehead and small sized jaw. Your jaw may be a few sizes larger.

Wolverine 09-15-2008 04:24 PM

I have the nose piece thing on my Shoei. It doesn't fog much at all. I do use anti-fog on the inside and reapply every other month or so. I figured the chin curtain would trap moist exhale air and make fog-up worse, so I never tried it.

sassage 09-16-2008 06:40 AM

we wear the same size helmet too...mostly cause she's got a lot of hair ;)

Condor 09-16-2008 06:44 AM

I have had the Chris Vermeulen replica (shoei x-11) for over a year and I love it. No problems whatsoever and the quality is top notch. My Arai actually fogs up more than my shoei.I put fog x on the inside of it though and when its cold i have a Respro fog guard for both.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BLK&tier2=3118

motojoe 09-16-2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 181376)
So you guys put the Plexus on the inside and the outside? Cleaner and defogger?

I use it in/out on the face shield.
I also use it on my helmet, windscreen, fairings and gas tank on the SH.
Works great. Bugs come off easier too.

FTMS 09-16-2008 10:13 AM

I have a RF1000 w/chin curtin in. No problems with fogging. I use Rain-x windshield washer fuid to clean the sheild.

CentralCoaster 09-17-2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 181400)
I have the nose piece thing on my Shoei. It doesn't fog much at all. I do use anti-fog on the inside and reapply every other month or so. I figured the chin curtain would trap moist exhale air and make fog-up worse, so I never tried it.

My experience with the chin curtain is yeah, it did sort of undo the effectiveness of the breath guard, so I removed it.

I may try some rain-X, thats some good stuff... although it's so good that it might make your wiper blades on your car chatter, so I'd avoid it there, especially on an older car.

Tonyizcool1 09-24-2008 12:38 PM

I don't really have a problem with fogging....but the wind noise is annoying on my Shoei

CentralCoaster 09-24-2008 12:43 PM

The wind comes in mind from under and behind my ears, I need some sort of curtain around the back. I have a long ride this weekend, I'll just use earplugs for now. I feel like I've already damaged my hearing in 10 months of riding without ear protection.

MotorToad 12-02-2008 09:15 AM

http://www.motodepot.com/images/prod...eath_guard.jpg
Shoei breath guard.

You should be wearing ear plugs no matter what helmet you have. Even with "quiet" helmets, you get way too much wind noise over 50 mph.

I have an RF-1000 and I don't have the slightest issue with the visors. Whenever I look at an Arai or especially HJC I'm always struck by the quality of the Shoei. This is compared to three AGVs, two Shoeis, an X-Lite, an Arai, and probably something I'm forgetting. :)

CentralCoaster 12-02-2008 02:26 PM

I'm using that already. Wish it was a rubber piece like my Scorpion, that foam one damages easily.

Also the mechanism to crack open the visor on the RF1000 is garbage.

This is the 2nd Shoei I've broke one on, they only seem to last a few months at most. The detent either wears off and doesn't hold the visor open, or the plastic on it cracks and doesn't hold tension on it.

VTRsurfer 12-02-2008 07:28 PM

I currently wear an Arai Corsair RX-7, Medium. I can't even get my wife's Arai over the top of my head.

smokinjoe73 12-02-2008 08:13 PM

No one uses a fog-city? I ride all winter & couldn't get by w/o it. No fogging in damp january. Case closed

RK1 12-02-2008 08:35 PM

I'm not impressed with Shoei in any case. All Snell approved. $500-$700 for a helmet less able to protect your head than the $80 Bell DOT helmet at Walmart.

RK1 12-02-2008 08:40 PM

If you spent $500-$800 for a Snell helmet, read it and weep-

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

superhawk22 12-04-2008 07:31 PM

My rf 1000 fogs up a bit I use plexus for cleaning as well but for the months I know it will fog up I use scott anti fog cleaner, the more you use it the better it works.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_55-6105_G

As for the read it and weep I think we've all read that article by now and we can all have our own opinons on it besides that there's more to a helmet then what they're testing like ventilation and aerodynamics. Sorry but when I'm doing 150 down the back straight I'm not going to trust my head to a $60 Wal-Mart helmet that will rattle my teeth from buffeting. Most tracks won't even let you on with a helmet like that, different riding requires different gear. Some of the points are valid which is why Snell is adapting new standards but to judge a helmet by just that article eh.

superhawk22 12-04-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 181470)
I have had the Chris Vermeulen replica (shoei x-11) for over a year and I love it. No problems whatsoever and the quality is top notch. My Arai actually fogs up more than my shoei.I put fog x on the inside of it though and when its cold i have a Respro fog guard for both.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BLK&tier2=3118

I love that helmet, which color is it?

RK1 12-04-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 191470)
My rf 1000 fogs up a bit I use plexus for cleaning as well but for the months I know it will fog up I use scott anti fog cleaner, the more you use it the better it works.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_55-6105_G

As for the read it and weep I think we've all read that article by now and we can all have our own opinons on it besides that there's more to a helmet then what they're testing like ventilation and aerodynamics. Sorry but when I'm doing 150 down the back straight I'm not going to trust my head to a $60 Wal-Mart helmet that will rattle my teeth from buffeting. Most tracks won't even let you on with a helmet like that, different riding requires different gear. Some of the points are valid which is why Snell is adapting new standards but to judge a helmet by just that article eh.

I agree there are lots of reasons to spend more on a helmet- comfort, quiet, air circulation, style etc. And no, I don't have an eighty dollar Walmart helmet. I've got a pair of MSRP $450 Nolans which I bought on closeout for about $100 each.

1) I was trying to have some fun and stir the pot a bit.

2) I firmly believe your brain is better served/protected by a DOT helmet than a Snell.

3) If you are on a tight budget and your primary concern is protecting your head, the $80 Bell from Walmart will serve you as well as any $500 lid.

PS I'll bet 90%+ of guys who ride never read that "blowing the lid off" article. If you can afford and really want a helmet that costs six or eight hundred dollars, by all means go for it. Just don't believe you need to spend that much to protect your head. Lot of guys don't have $600 for a helmet and shouldn't feel bad about it.