Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Leather VS Textiles Riding Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
got pics of the lever mod? are you basically weakening it a little by drilling the hole?

my buddy, same guy who tore up his textile crap, went down with a spyke suit, same idea he slid on his arm for a bit, damaged the leather a little but it was minor stuff. got up and walked away.

lets see if this works here, im copying the pics he posted on another board were on, the quality isnt great as theyre from his blackberry but youll get the idea, again 60 kph, so like 37 mph for my american friends. if you look you can see where the elbow of the jacket basically tore apart and he was wearing into the elbow armor.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
i kinda wanted to try joe rockets new hemp jacket they say "it rivals race quality leather" (gotta see that one first hand to believe it)...i have a hemp hoodlamb and thats the most comfortable casual coat ive ever worn... extremely durable is great in varying temp range, its got a bunch of secret pockets and its even heavier than my current riding jacket...that being said i have an iicon textile/leather thing that isnt too hot in the summer nice in colder weather but after riding it for a year ill go full leather next time...Its a nice jacket seems to be made well but i just dont feel it will handle it all that well if i went down...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:52 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Cheap leg protection can be attained with some simple knee/shin guards from our friends in the dirt bike world. You can wear them under your jeans and only the chicks checking out your *** will know. You can buy them all over the internet for $20 and you will never buy a leg or knee for that. I don't even drive to the beer store (.9 miles) without mine.

Be reminded that the MOST common SEVERE injuries are to the hands and feet. Just watch the videos of crashes on youtube. Once a human is knocked out it's just a bag of bones. Arms and legs flayling around.

Like the others have said - shop the closeouts, last-year's gear, whatever - All The Gear - All The Time - ATGATT Just do it.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Squid

jnsmith0123 is on a distinguished road
I would prefer Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Mesh Jacket as I would like to tame the heat of summer. Best point is that if fits like it should, I'm becoming a Joe Rocket fan. Also bought First Gear jacket for wife, also a great buy.