Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Leather VS Textiles Riding Jackets

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Squid

mchawkmaster is on a distinguished road
Leather VS Textiles Riding Jackets

Ok so. New to the forum but have read a lot on here before and finally bought me a 98 Super Hawk last week!

I currently have a jacket that was given to me by a relative but it is more of a touring jacket and sucks to wear on anything with an aggressive riding posistion.

The two jackets in question are the Alpinestars SP-1 leather jacket ($150 worn twice) or the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 ($150 new)?

What do yall think and why?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
well i just bought my first leather jacket two days ago got a like new joe rocket off ebay for $25 ive had a joe rocket mesh for a while. both and their ups and downs but i guess its depends on how much money you have. its nice to have a mesh or textile for around town like to and from work. but if you plan on riding twistys its nice to have leather. drag strips and trackdays require leather so i hope this helps you decide. if you have enough money for two jackets your set. i just got lucky with my $25 joe rocket leather
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
this is a good site worth looking at
http://www.newenough.com/
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations on the bike & on looking for protective gear.

L-E-A-T-H-E-R will save your skin.

I've crashed in leather 4 times and never had any road rash. A riding partner had a low speed lowside a couple weeks ago. He got rashed when the zipper on his Joe Rocket mesh jacket failed.

That other jacket is a mesh textile... the least abrasion resistant of the textiles. I use a densely woven Firstgear mesh jacket for hot weather commuting. Ottherwise it's almost always leather.

For $150 I'd jump on that Alpinestars. Those thing sell for $430 new. Top quality protection. Perforated.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 07-26-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Squid

That's what I'm thinkin just because I'm getting a $430 jacket for $150. Almost more of a why not. Perforated is good stuff because it is HOT in Raleigh NC right now.

Really appreciate the input!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
My Joe Rocket Phoenix 3 saved my skin in my accident. Yes it is a minimal protection compared to leather but it is far far better than nothing.

Since I sometimes ride in 115 degree weather, something like the Phoenix is about all I can stand. (and it was about that hot the day I got hit) But for the cooler days I have 2 other jackets to choose from as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
My Joe Rocket Phoenix 3 saved my skin in my accident. Yes it is a minimal protection compared to leather but it is far far better than nothing.
Since I sometimes ride in 115 degree weather, something like the Phoenix is about all I can stand. (and it was about that hot the day I got hit) But for the cooler days I have 2 other jackets to choose from as well.
So right!

It's been 105 in VA the past couple days. Even in mesh it's just a blast of hot air! And it's just plain cooler to leave the face shield down when you stop. Based on the last couple day's heat, don't know if I could handle riding in AZ in the summer!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Based on the last couple day's heat, don't know if I could handle riding in AZ in the summer!
In honest reality, you only do it as a last resort or to go up north.. (Prescott, Flagstaff, Globe, etc all cooler temperatures)
Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
So right!

It's been 105 in VA the past couple days. Even in mesh it's just a blast of hot air! And it's just plain cooler to leave the face shield down when you stop. Based on the last couple day's heat, don't know if I could handle riding in AZ in the summer!
It's a DRY heat.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
It's a DRY heat.
Yeah, they say that, don't they. I suppose it beats the tropics, but it's still a blast of hot air.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
It's a DRY heat.
So is an oven.

Spent three years in the desert of Iraq/Kuwait and that is REALLY hot! Saw temps in the summer on the flight line of 140. Inside the airplanes were a killer.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Textile is for somebody on a Goldwing going down to the gym to ride a stationary bike and take a swim. Mesh is designed more for the sportbike rider because it allows you to adjust the fit so the armor doesn't move around after or during a crash.

Like government transparency - there are varying degrees of mesh, and perforation. I have leather jackets that are good from 40F to 105F. Not the same jacket or size perf but Texas hands you a bunch of different riding conditions. I have two mesh jackets. One is ideal for warm spring days and the other is good for the sweat pit.

The most important point is wear something. Everything is going to be hot even if you're naked. Naked is dead on a Superhawk, mesh and leather will at least get you back to work the next day.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Crashing gives leather character... crashing makes mesh look like ****.

Aside from that, whichever one you get PLEASE make sure it fits you properly...I just saw a homeboy on a Busa at the gas station today wearing full leathers that were about four sizes too big for him... my point is that much like all the whining and crying about the heat so many people do, the second squidly thing they do is cry about how it restricts their movement, or looks too tight on them without ever realizing that loose leather will twist around on your body and won't prevent you from flailing. It's SUPPOSED to restrict your movement.

I ride in Florida and I wear ATGATT. I like my skin. I know what road rash feels like just from wiping out on my bicycle as a kid. I can only imagine what rash feels like from a 55 mph lowside.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Let me be clear. I don't go riding looking for stripes on my leathers or bumps on my head because I think it looks cool. I go out for a good time and while I do everything in my power to make sure that I'm not the one who makes the mistake, I do everything in my power to make sure I'm not the one that pays the price. Bitches in Lexus don't like me. If you're out there in flipflops and shorts they will drive over you until they kill you and your girlfriend and claim they never say you. You're dead - they win.

Pull up along side these bitches in full gear after they;ve cut you off and watch the demeanor change. I let them know that at the next light I'm going to pull them out of their ride. They hang up the phone quick.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
In honest reality, you only do it as a last resort or to go up north.. (Prescott, Flagstaff, Globe, etc all cooler temperatures)
Truth! I had the misfortune of having a motorcycle as my only transportation for a year in Phx. Made grocery shopping interesting.

My .02 on the jackets, go leather. I wrecked at a slightly higher than parking lot speed and got a little rash/fabric burn on the side of my stomach.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I wear perforated leather most of the time, but when it gets really hot & humid I found my Cortech GX Air to be fairly comfortable while offering decent protection...If you can't afford leather, this is a pretty good all around compromise as it is a mix of textile & leather and has two liners, thermal and waterproof...

http://www.newenough.com/street/prot...le_jacket.html
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
After years of having a bike as my main type of transportation I finally found the best combo of jackets. One snug, not very vented leather jacket for winter and track duty, one perf'd leather jacket for warm weather corner carving, and one mesh jacket with leather arms for around town. The mesh jacket is great, it's made by Joe Rocket. Most of the squids here that have mesh jackets usually have their shoulders and elbows all rashed/ripped up. I figure if I'm gonna wear mesh, at least have some leather where it matters most.

If I were you I'd go for the perf'd leather first, then get a mesh jacket. A good perf'd jacket is pretty similar to a mesh jacket in terms of airflow. Both are hot as hell stopped at a light or riding around the neighborhood.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Pull up along side these bitches in full gear after they;ve cut you off and watch the demeanor change. I let them know that at the next light I'm going to pull them out of their ride. They hang up the phone quick.
Ha ha!

If you can, get all the gear for all the weather conditions. Hot, cold, rain....etc. You don't have to buy everything all at once. But you can shop the closeout internet sites for last years gear at good savings and still get quality stuff. What I don't see is riders wearing leg protection. Everyone has a jacket but no pants.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Frank Thomas stuff from cycle gear isn't bad for the price...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I have some frank thomas leather/mesh mix gloves and they are great, even shut my hand in a car door and I have all my fingers.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I switched over from leather to mesh because of the heat. I know that leather crashes better, but my mesh has CE rated armor and its much more comfortable for everyday use.

In the end we all try to minimize our risk. If we tried to eliminate all of our risk, none of us would be riding.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I go for leather. That said, it's Canada, so still snowing even in August, LOL...
I have a Fieldsheer Jkt, excellent kit, and always wear leather pants / gloves / boots.
I look at all the road kill around where I live and think - so what makes MY skin any tougher? Skunks, Raccoons and Porcupines soon fall apart when they've been slapped around by a car...I don't want to be another statistic!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Squid

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this matter. Just a couple days ago i picked up my new Dainese leather jacket from cycle gear. It's got good enough ventilation for fairly warm days and has a full sleeve windproof/insulated liner for the colder days. Haven't had a chance to road test it as the carbs needed cleaning on my hawk and it's been 98 degrees for the past while.

I decided on a perf leather with a full sleeve liner to be kind of an all purpose all year jacket. Immediately that cut my choices down DRAMATICALLY. It was between either an Icon Accelerant $400 or this Dainese for $500. Icon has a terrible rap on the internet for being crap stuff so I went with the Dainese. It's unbelievable how people rip on Icon.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by supermarto
Crashing gives leather character... crashing makes mesh look like ****.
I got some chuckles out of that.Thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Got a Joe Rocket mesh with leather at elbows and shoulders. When it's boiling hot out it's much easier to ride in than my Z leather jacket or Vanson full leathers.

Fish
Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i saw the results of textile today that had hit the ground at maybe 60 kph. lets just say it didnt hold up at all. it ripped through the elbow completely and was wearing on the armor, a hole big enough to shove my foot through. the textile pants ripped aswell on the *** where the rider went down. not a big hole but big enough to know that anything more than a 60ish kph fall would have been really bad. the stitching on the jacket even let go. regardless textile is good for slow speed stuff, but anything else its crap, better than a t shirt, but i wouldnt trust i after seeing how it held up.

also textile is better than mesh, id imagine the mesh would disintegrate on a crash.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
http://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does...lt-in-a-crash/

Buy what you can afford, buy what you like. Having some gear is better than none. I wear textile, and I think the best measure that you can use is if you buy a H2O proof jacket and it is no longer working in this manner, get a new one. If the jacket starts to lose its properties that you bought it for, you need to get a new one. The upside of textile is that they are cheaper, downside is they are not as good as leather and you need to replace more often. Leather doesn't like rain as much. I wont change what I use, because the gear I buy fits my riding style and usage. When possible I do use my leather gloves.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:22 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
True some protection is better than none. But his jacket is a bering its a year old and pants are triumph. The only thing that really saved him some skin is the elbow armor as it wore right into it. But yeah some is better than none. Given the choice ill wear my leather and let my textile hang in the garage
Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Squid

iyaoyas98 is on a distinguished road
I just rode out a 45mph lowside in mesh on Saturday. Wore straight through the mesh like wet tissue paper. I will never buy it again. My leather gloves saved my hands, and the armor in the elbow of the mesh saved my elbow, but my forearm got rashed in probably only 15 feet, before I left the road. My damn 1pc leather was hanging in the garage.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Gotta add my most recent; crashed into turn 1 at Loudon after the front straight. Just let off the gas & on the brakes. Went down at about 95mph(ish) I would guestimate. I was of course wearing racing leathers (fieldsheers). I actuall didnt believe I was crashing (like good racers never do) so kinda slid on my side for a while, then believed it & righted myself onto my back & finished the slide all on pavement. Got up, rode the bike back to the pits (always drill a hole in your levers so the ball breaks but lever survives). Only a small rash where I rode my forearm for a couple seconds before righting myself. No other issues. Get the leather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather VS Textiles Riding Jackets