Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Leather jackets and suits, low to mid priced, recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Leather jackets and suits, low to mid priced, recommendation

I have been loosing weight for the last 3 months or so (25 lbs so far and another 10 or so to go), and as such I will be looking at getting another leather jacket, or a suit.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money on this, as I will be buying a custom made suit later on when I reach and maintain my final weight.

I have had AGVsport jacket, that I liked. It was pretty thick and heavy, which I assume it is good for crash. Thankfully never crashed to find out.

I have also had a Dainese jacket that I liked very much, but it is too loose now and I am selling it to a coworker.

What should I be looking for in a leather jacket, or leather suit? Yes, the high end suits are priced right for those who can afford them, and have all of the options. But please, remember the purpose of this thread... recommendations on good quality leather jackets and suits, priced low ($150 jacket, $300 suit) to medium ($250 jacket, $500 suit.)

For example, say Teknic lightning vs. chican vs. violator, which ones should be avoided totally, and which ones are better??

Also, I don't want a permanent suit that will withstand many get offs. If it saves my *** once, and I have to throw it away, it is good enough for me.

(I am assuming many newbies will have the same sort of questions, so your contribution to this thread may serve many people, including me.)
Old 03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Leather jackets and suits, low to mid priced, recommenda

http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm

I bought a new set of one piece Teknic leathers for $300.00 a year ago. Don't let the site name fool you. They are almost all new apparel, but may be last years model at a reduced price, which is fine by me.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I have a teknic suit that is a few years old now, and its taken its fair share of abuse. I have to say that for what that suit went thru, it has held up great, other then not looking brand new.

I would say you definately want a suit with the hard armor in it. Dont get the cheap armor! Your body will thank you in the event of a dismount!

If you can afford it try to get a suit with a speed hump as well. Not so much for the "racier" look, but more for the fact that the hump gives you that much more protection to your spine.

Try to get the thickest leather you can also, the thicker the better, helps when your sliding down the road to know the pieces off your suit aren't going to come riping off.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a new BIGI jacket on ebay for under $200 and man that thing is gorgeous with hard armor, lots of features, my best score yet!

eBay eBay eBay!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I had bought a jacket from newenough when they did have used ones, and I give them a A+ for their customer satisfaction.

I just ordered a Teknic violator jacket from them. After looking at the specs, it seems like it is one of the best jackets one can buy, especially at the price newenough is offering them at.

I will let you all know how it works out when I get it.

thanks for the input everyone.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

I have received my Teknic Violator jacket and Teknic Sports leather pants, and I must say I love the set.

The jacket looks great, and the leather is soft, yet thick. The Knox padding inside elbow, back, and shoulder is top of the line.

The pants are great too, and came with knee pucks (not use them as I can't knee drag.)

The pants and the jacket zip together through a full circumference zipper.

Total cost: less than US$490.

Overall, a definite A++ to this set. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

pic...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:57 AM
SuperSport

oooooo sharp! I'll have to check em out as I need pants.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Superstock

cdyer77

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot

The pants are great too, and came with knee pucks (not use them as I can't knee drag.)
You can it just all in your head. Sometime go to a empty parking lot and practice figure 8's. You dont need to be going fast 15-20 mph fine. With each pass try to get a little lower and try to feel for the ground with your knee.
After practicing this for a little while soon you'll have your knee on the tarmac. Its all throttle control and body positioning.

The aim is to be as smooth as possible. One you get it down, keep practicing only increase your speed. After a little while you'll be able to do it on the street.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:40 PM
SuperSport

Good idea I'll have to try that. Is it just me or is the SH a bitch to drive smoothly at low speeds?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Squid

Jason C

Want quality leathers, and not spend a bundle?

Then go here, Helmet Depot.

Older AGV Sports leathers for low prices. I have bought 2 suits from them, both Storm 2 piece (Black and Gunmetal). Fully padded with plenty of CE protectors, plastic knee cups, the works.

Astra suits for $249! Now, they have Storm suits listed at $99, but I belive this is a typo and should be $199 (still great!). I paid $249 each for mine, one and two years ago.

Word of advise if you buy from them: orders are over the phone, and it may take a few calls to actually talk to someone. Also, make sure they check to see if they have your size. Also, find out what they are charging you, they seem to forget about the prices advertized online. If you push it, you just may get those Storm leathers for $99!

Just be patient with them, and make sure you know up front price and all of the details...they will work with you.

A few words about the Storm leathers: Simply great, in both looks and performance. They are perforated, and allow a good amount of air flow in when at speed. I have been down twice in my first pair, and they still are usable (did get a hole repaired below the knee). I just love 'em! Great suit, great price.

About size: I got a size 44 US (54 Euro) when I weighed 175, I am also 5'08" and of average build. Since then I had lost 20 lbs., and probably could squeeze into a size 42.

Hope this helps.

Jason C
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by cdyer77";p=&quot
Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot

You can it just all in your head. Sometime go to a empty parking lot and practice figure 8's. You dont need to be going fast 15-20 mph fine. With each pass try to get a little lower and try to feel for the ground with your knee.
After practicing this for a little while soon you'll have your knee on the tarmac. Its all throttle control and body positioning.

The aim is to be as smooth as possible. One you get it down, keep practicing only increase your speed. After a little while you'll be able to do it on the street.
Thanks.
I have had my knee touch the ground before, occasionally and unintentionally, while riding hard on local twisties. I just don't ride fast enough most of the time to need to do it. At my speeds, one can normally go through the turn without even hanging off.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Jason, thanks for the input. That is a great site!