Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

HJC

Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Squid

project98 is on a distinguished road
HJC

any experience or opinions on hjc helmets? I was thinking of getting this one.
Attached Thumbnails HJC-cl-16hellion.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by project98
any experience or opinions on hjc helmets? I was thinking of getting this one.
I've owned several HJCs, decent helmets for the $$$ and they have a wide eyeport which is good if you wear glasses...if you get an HJC, I'd go for one with a kevlar/fiberglass mix shell and not a thermoplastic one...current helmet is an Arai, can't beat it for quality and comfort...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Blaaahhh!!!
Squid

dIrTyDoG is on a distinguished road
Owned a couple of HJC's, great helmet for the price.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I had one for a while and it was fine for what it was. You have to take into account I normally use Arai stuff and have a RX-7 right now so I am a bit biased.

The best analogy I can use is it was like going from a Cadillac to a Chevy.
The HJC got the job done but it was heavier and didn't vent as well but it was a good reliable hat.

Hope this helps and as always YMMV.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Just picked up a CL-SP (predecesor to the CL16) for $60.00 off of dennis kirk. Just as a spare to my Shoei RF1000. So far so good....Comfortable, a bit louder than my Shoei and the visor is a bit flimsier feeling, but for the $$$$ can't be beat.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dIrTyDoG
Owned a couple of HJC's, great helmet for the price.
I've owned three and have liked them.... for me it was one of the best rated helmets (saftey wise) for the cash... I can live without the removable liners and other options the high end lids offer... if I rode a ton, maybe the better lids would be worth it to me, but for the amount i ride (weekends in the summer months) the HJC's are just fine.

J
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Squid

project98 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your input. Unfortunatly money is a little tight right now so the HJC is in my price range. I looked at Shoei and Arai but they are just too much for me right now. Any other brands out there that are decently priced and don't look like I got them from Wal-Mart lol?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by project98
Thanks for your input. Unfortunatly money is a little tight right now so the HJC is in my price range. I looked at Shoei and Arai but they are just too much for me right now. Any other brands out there that are decently priced and don't look like I got them from Wal-Mart lol?
Hey no worries, Hell the only reason I stopped using it was it got destroyed last year in a low side and I got a good deal on my Arai so i went back to them.

As for other brands, Do you live near any large motorcycle shops where you can go and check them out? The reason, besides the fact they always look different in person is they all fit a little different. Trying them on is the only real way to know what will work for you. If you can leave it on for a while also as sometimes tight spots might take 15-30 mins to start hurting and nothing is worse than a new hat you can only wear for a half hour at a time.......don't ask how I know.

So the first step is to find which brand(s) fit your head (that's another reason I like Arai as I have their Long Oval shaped gourd) and then buy the best one you can afford.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 03-03-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Squid

tim62465 is on a distinguished road
I know it's a little more than a HJC but here is the best price I could find on the web for a RF-1000

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201001/p/20347
Old 03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Safety-wise Arais and Shoeis are not superior to HJCs. I have 3 HJCs right now, and I like them all. They fit well and seem to be well made. The one Arai I have owned fit me very well and was comfortable, but fell apart as it got older; I was not happy at all with the build quality.
I have had a few Shoeis and liked them too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I have a HJC CL-15 been using it for a year and really like it. It got good reviews if I remember correctly the only con the reviews I read agreed on was it was a gram or two heavier then some of the other helmets availible. My previous helmet was even heavier so it still felt like an upgrade to me.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
HJC makes several other brands as private label items. So they make more helmets than just HJC brand. For the money, they offer a good fit, features and safety. As long as you happy with the helmet, that's all that counts.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Blaaahhh!!!
Squid

dIrTyDoG is on a distinguished road
Not sure of your price range, but I just picked up a New Icon Perimeter for $185 on clearence. Went to a local bike shop, found out my size then ordered it on line.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I've owned two HJC's in the past. One of them is still my spare. I agree with a lot of the previous posts. Good, but not great helmets. I had no significant problems or concerns with them. If an upper shelf helmet doesn't fit into you're budget then HJC is the way to go.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive got one, it was my first helmet. it was cheap and did the trick. i could wear my sunglasses under it unlike my shark helmet. overall the helmet was good but i found at about 70 mph it was start lifting off my head a little and the chin strap would have to hold it down. and the next size smaller wouldnt fit over my head. my shark doesnt have that issues. even at 130 mph it stays put, its alot less noisey on the hiways aswell. it comes down to how much you wanna spend. i got a good deal on my shark so i bought it and the hjc is a spare now. try some on at a store, find out what size you are and order one online. you can usually save alot of cash that way. but dont just grab one online because that size from another helmet fits you. my shark is an xl, hjc 2xl, my motorcross helmet is a l/xl combo. and my buddys shoei xl doesnt fit over my head.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Squid
Squid

mattijw is on a distinguished road
Try looking at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ for some info on lids.

I've just been shopping for a new helmet and have seen some great deals on the outgoing arai range, saw the old arai condor in plain colors for £130, thats under 200 usd. Try going into a local shop armed with the prices you can get online, I found most will price match for you.

Helmets are one thing I don't mind doing a bit of overtime to pay for so I ended up blowing £250 on a new xr1100 shoei with a pinlock visor and a discount black visor, but it's lush and didn't mist up in the snow so i'm happy as with it! Buy the best you can I say!