Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

New Helmet First ride HJC CL-16

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
New Helmet First ride HJC CL-16

So long story short, my brothers old (10+ yrs) HJC I was using was stolen, and I've been riding with an HJC CL-14 my friend let me borrow for the past month or so. I finally decided I would go buy a helmet since the one my sister brought up fits my girlfriend better...

Got an HJC CL-16 last night for $119. Fits and feels good. I just went for my first ride with it, started with the visor up, a little down my road I flipped it down and WOW, I can see!!! It's amazing the difference between a new clear visor compared to an old scratched up dirty visor that should be replaced.

When I rode with the CL-14 first thing i noticed is above 80mph it wants to rip my head off tucked or not. The CL-16 seems more aerodynamic but I didn't go that fast yet. The CL-14 has multiple visor notches up high, while the CL-16 only has fully open, 1/2 open, and just cracked for ventilation.. Not sure if that will be an issue or not yet.

Overall I think the Cl-16 is a great helmet for the price.. Down the road I will get a nice Aria or Shoei (RF-1100 maybe?), but I just needed something quick and cheap right now.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I hate hjc, but good to hear you like it.. And who would steal a 10 year old helmet??
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i have the 16 and at about 70 mph it wants to rip off my head. but its not a bad helmet it just doesnt fit my weird shaped head right
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
i have the 16 and at about 70 mph it wants to rip off my head.
+1. Same problem here, especially if you turn your head. I thought the 14 was a little better. Seemed quieter too.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Pimpsterbim1 - Thieves will steal anything. I feel bad for the guy who is sticking his head into my old smelly helmet. What brand do you ride with?

Hmmm.. the CL-14 I was using wanted to rip my head off. The 16 felt a lot more aerodynamic and stable at high speeds last night, i won't say how high, but it was up there. I did notice more wind noise than the 14, especially at lower speeds. Overall i think its a good helmet for the price.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
That's likely because the old padding was worked in. Even my shark that was tight on my feel is moving around a little more now than it did last year

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Pimpsterbim1 - Thieves will steal anything. I feel bad for the guy who is sticking his head into my old smelly helmet. What brand do you ride with?

Hmmm.. the CL-14 I was using wanted to rip my head off. The 16 felt a lot more aerodynamic and stable at high speeds last night, i won't say how high, but it was up there. I did notice more wind noise than the 14, especially at lower speeds. Overall i think its a good helmet for the price.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Squid

ratz is on a distinguished road
I have always had Shoei, and after having my last rf900 for 6 years I decided that the shelf life might be coming to an end.
I bought the cl16.
Looks great.
the visor was clear, but it was tough to open. I struggled with it for a while, and it finally came loose while I was riding. I tightened down the screws, it is still notchy
The top of my head gets a cold burst of air no matter how i position the vents( i have tried).
I also get a noise in my helmet near my ear that sound like crinkling cellophane.
I put my old Shoei on the other day, and it felt like a brand new helmet, quiet, visor worked great, the padding felt nice and reduced inner helmet airflow
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
You get what you pay for!

I've got a HJC cl 15? carbon fibre.Its cheap feeling and noisey compared to my wifes shoei rf 1100.I firmly believe its worth spending the money on a good name,street(not race)! Im in the market to buy a shoei myself,
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Squid

usaabn is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Helmet threads are a lot like tire and oil threads. I recently had a real good get off and the HJC I was wearing did a good job. I've not made any decision on what I might replace it with tho......Oh...and a clean scratch free shield is wonderful too.

usaabn
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I just retired a Shoei RF-1100, and picked up two HJC RPS-10.... one for me, one for the wife.

Great helmet, light, GREAT ventilation (Texas summers don’t ya know)
Light weight, fits well (individual deal) no weird profile induced aerodynamic issues.

this is our 4th and 5th HJC helmet in the last 10 years… easily the best of the bunch.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I've never much cared for HJC helmets. They are just cheap helmets. Quality and fit and finish are fair at best.

I wear an Arai RX7RR3. It's old and needs to be replaced. Hopefully I can afford a new Arai next summer. But I'd much rather have my old Arai than a new HJC.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
I've never much cared for HJC helmets. They are just cheap helmets. Quality and fit and finish are fair at best.
Originally Posted by GTS

I wear an Arai RX7RR3. It's old and needs to be replaced. Hopefully I can afford a new Arai next summer. But I'd much rather have my old Arai than a new HJC.

Well it's your opinion, but your opinion differs greatly then many, my own included... So to each his own..

Arai helmets do not fit me for crap.... but that does not mean they are cheap (actually overpriced, but that is a different thread) or junk,, they just don’t fit so I no longer buy them.

The quality on my RPS-10 rivals several $700+ Shoei and any Arai I have owned. Fit is spot on, controls and face shield use and fit as good as any top tier helmet. Wind noise is LESS than other top tier helmets I’ve owned, or own now.

Id advise folks try the helmet desired on for fit and comfort and decide for them selves... as other opinions obviously will differ greatly.