Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

having trouble finding track boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Squid

Quickling is on a distinguished road
having trouble finding track boots

It seems that none of the dealers within two hours of me carry a large enough selection of boots for me to try on. Which is a problem, as I have a wider foot.

I take a 10.5 wide ( i have a pair of magnum tactical boots in 10.5 wide, euro 45 and they are the best fitting boots I have ever owned.)

The problem I am finding is europeans have ridiculously tiny feet. I tried on some Gaerne boots in size 11 and the toe box felt like a vice cutting off my toes.

I have tried alpine stars in 10.5 and they felt ok, a little snug and cramped, perhaps an 11 would help (none available to try on).

I hear sidi's are extra narrow.

Does anyone know of any other brands that are comparable in width to the apline stars?

Themain reason for not going A stars is that unless you go into the 350$ range, it does not appear that you get any anti-torsion protection.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately you're right. I had one shoe salesman describe my foot as a ping-pong paddle. Super narrow at the back but wide as a duck in front. If you buy your boots a half size up from normal it will accomo the front part of your foot but you may slip a little in back while they're new. This goes away with any quality of boot. I have a set of smx-r's and they are the best boot that I have.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Not that this helps you or not, but I wear a 10.5 also and had a hard time finding a boot to fit my foot. After spending 7 hours driving from dealership to dealership I found a pair of Alpinestars that fit OK, but still a little tight in the toes. I was halfway proud of them so when I got home and tried them on to show my wife, she took a look and said "Those boots look like a girls boot and make your foot look small" Took them back right then and bought me another pair of Icon Motorhead Boots. Probably not the best track boot, but at least you can keep your mancard!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same problem. Been wearing a set of beat up joe rocket boots in a style/model they no longer offer for about 8 years now. I just keep getting them repaired at a local shoe repair place.

I also have large calves...so if the foot area fits, I usually can't get the upper boot area to zip/velcro close.

If anyone knows of any decent boots that run wide AND have large calf area...post up here PLEASE!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I also have a wide foot, though not superwide...I tried the Alpinestars S MX 5s and various Joe Rocket and Cortech boots and found them all to be a little too snug...then I tried a pair of Oxtar SS Performance 2s from newenough.com and they fit perfect for less than $200...they are now sold as the TCX SS Performance 2, Motorcycle Superstore has them for $179 with free shipping...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Squid

Quickling is on a distinguished road
anyone try Teknic?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket Meteors:
http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...ts/Meteor_Boot

For $129 they can't be beat and I ware a 10.5 too but bought the 11 cuz it as a nice clicking strap and buckle to snug it up as much as you want...found them at my local Honda dealer in Sarasota, FL...good luck bro, RC
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
[quote=RPV-Hawk;211085
I also have large calves...so if the foot area fits, I usually can't get the upper boot area to zip/velcro close.

If anyone knows of any decent boots that run wide AND have large calf area...post up here PLEASE!!![/quote]

This has come up before and I'm not sure it was resolved. A search for "big calves" might yield some archive posts.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
This has come up before and I'm not sure it was resolved. A search for "big calves" might yield some archive posts.
My calves are so big I have to turn sideways to enter doors...LOL! They fit nicely in these:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...ts/Meteor_Boot
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I have wide feet at size 13, so It has always been a hassle for me too. I wanted to know what the big difference is between a 200-300 dollar moto specific boots(alpinestars,sidi,etc...) and less than 100 dollar tactical leather boots?? I mean are the motos REALLY that much safer? I've tried them on and they seem lighter... but not safer or better. now i know how they are specially designed for bikes with shift pads, and flex points and little sliders, but are they gonna save my foot anymore in a crash?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
i just picked up a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 4 from motorcycle superstore for 129.99. they were last years model, but i dont care. they only have big (49) or small (like 36/37) left.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I know I had to send my Oxtars back for a size 11. It's a bit too wide for me, but I picked up some nice thick Merino wool-blend socks to take up the slack. They fit quite well now and socks felt plenty comfortable last summer.