Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

gear questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
gear questions

I have a leather jacket not made for streetbike riding. Is it sufficient or do I need a motorcycle jacket made specifically for street use like Joe Rocket or something similar? I don't have any leather riding pants so I'd rather get them for now. I guess the big ? here is have any of you wrecked wearing a casual dress non-street leather jacket and how good did it protect? Can't afford both right now. Also, how long will street leather last before needing replaced if taken care of? If you were to put priority on gear, which is most important, jacket or pants? I also have an Aplinestar off road textile jacket. What do you think about just adding armor to this and spending the majority of $$ on the leather riding pants? What would you do. Thanks, Tim
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
Get the best leather outfit you can afford and don't crash without it! I'd get padded/armored pants and boots now since you don't have them and a real motorcycle jacket that zips to the pants ASAP. Also sign up for a track day as soon as you can so as to learn not to crash in the first place. Take my word for it, crashing is simply not an option, just ask me how I know.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... That depends on the quality and thickness of the leather... Thick, triple stitched leather will give the same abraison protection as a decent bike jacket... But it will not contain the pads protecting you from the hard hits to elbows, sholders and what not...

As for importance... Well... Do you prefer to be skin-less top or bottom? That's the resulting decision from your question... Me I prefer neither, making them equally important...

The leather will last as long as you take care of it... The only thing that really wears out a good riding suit is falling off the bike...

I'd start saving until I could buy a matching set... You benefit greatly from being able to connect them to each other making the jacket not ride up...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
the thickness of the leather in the jacket would be key. chances are it's not as heavy as biker stuff. you might consider getting a used one. Sometimes you can find them at goodwill stores and places like that. However, having something leather on is better than jeans or stuff like that, so I'd say get the pants first and then the jacket.

only worth 2 cents!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Something is better than nothing.

Over the ankle boots.
Leather gloves.
Denim better than twill pants, leather better than denim etc.
Don't cheap out on a helmet. Full coverage, snell etc.

Forgive me for being a 'puter luddite but there are sites that specialize in used riding gear. Riders Wearhouse is a brand to look for if looking 'used'. (Aerostitch)

'Luck out there.

Last edited by PUSHrod; 12-27-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: syntax error
Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

O.K. Found a great deal on a Joe Rocket jacket. Also found a great deal on AGV pants. Which way should I go? AGV all the way or Joe Rocket all the way? I doubt they'll zip up to each other. AGV is cheaper but I've already tried on the Joe Rocket jacket and it fits really good. Checked the Rocket pants and holy chit, those things a expensive. If anyone has had success in zipping AGV pants to Joe Rocket jacket, let me know. Thanks, Tim
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Odds are the zippers don't interconnect (not 100% sure though!)
Unless you can test it in person, you're probably better off sticking to one brand or the other just to be safe.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
your local taylor should be able to sew a zipper on there for a resonable price
Old 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I used to have a Gericke Jacket and A-stars pants and had my girl sew a piece of fabric with both female sides of the zippers sewed to it. You really can zip any brand to eachother if you have both sides of the zippers. I got sick of that and got a one piece suit which is always what I recommend..
Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
go thru craigslist,you would be really surprised what you could get from there.
i got brand new jacket and helmet for 100 bucks.it was used 3 or 4 times.
it looked like it came out the wrapper.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Too old for this
Squid

Herbie is on a distinguished road
Good leathers are not cheap but less expensive than NOT having them. I have a full set of Z Custom including boots and gloves that is going on 10 years. I take very good care of the leather and everything is still in great shape, just replace the knee and toe pucks when worn. The thing you need to keep in mind is the fit, if you'll be spending some time in these you will need to be comfortable.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

update

Ordered the AGV Sport Willow leather pants for now. I'll get the matching jacket later.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I never owned any kind of riding gear, hell I rode all the time in shorts and tshirts. Now that I have gotten myself a bike again I decided that I should at least buy a real armored motorcycle jacket just as an in case thing so I bought a Speed & Strength Twist of Fate mesh jacket today, wise choice I believe.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Definitely don't buy from a local stealership. Go there to try on sizes but get it on craigslist or off a forum. There are tons of guys who buy a bike but realize they aren't bikers & sell immediately.
Hey archaicguy, don't go around admitting you are the flip flops and shorts guy. Won't get you any cred, especially on this forum. (or with any real bikers) Just leave it as your embarassing secret.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

we'll see

I ordered the pants through the dealership and they matched the online price. I guess the future of my business to them starts here. If they screw up this, they def won't be working on my bike even though the prev owner took it there for everything. I tried to get them to match the price of a jacket through Dennis Kirk but it didn't work. Web site showed full leather jacket for $146 and some change on clearance but it didn't hurt to see if they'd match it. These dealership have to start matching competition prices or they'll eventually go under.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
What pants what price? Always bear in mind that the very business of the dealer is to finance his lakehouse with your dollars. Everything is based on that, what they recommend for service, parts, labor. All dollars to buy their next SUV. The information is completely out there (and here). It's the "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintinence" conundrum. Not that dealers are evil but the just are what they are. Like going to vegas. That building is financed on your dime. Where else is it from?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

Originally Posted by notakawi
Ordered the AGV Sport Willow leather pants for now. I'll get the matching jacket later.
$199.99
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

Got the pants today and I'm pretty happy. I'll have to adjust the knee armor a little but these pants are awesome. Now it just needs to stop snowing. Thinking about putting them on and sitting at my desk at work. Tim