Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

First Gear TPG Rainier Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
First Gear TPG Rainier Jacket

Early, basic review of a new jacket. Not a lot of time with it yet and no rain test, but I think that if you are in need of a multi function jacket, this is a deal to swoop on.

Full price and discounted price are both way off in opposite directions. This is NOT a $500 jacket by any stretch of imagination. On the other hand the discounted price is the bargain of the year. The jacket comes with ~$75-85 worth of D30 armor, is very well made and water proof, I hope.
To confirm some other reviews, the armor is a bit tedious to get right. Not a big deal at the price, but if I paid $500 for it I would expect a lot better. I would also expect the two base layers that don't come with the $500 jacket.
Fit, for me, is spot on. I'm 6'1" 150 and the MT is a perfect fit. This is not a 'mercian cut jacket.
Just enough room for a soft shell fleece, w and w/o base layers. Without the soft shell the fit is still close enough to not to sail. Torso on the jacket is bit long, but mine is a bit short and I'm use to a sport bike type cut. Still doesn't make a $500 jacket.
Air flow seems pretty good with the vents open, but not going to be too comfy above the mid 80's. Perhaps the Cocona magic will make comfortable at higher temps. Maybe that's why it was a $500 jacket.
The collar, because of the stow away rain hood, is a little intrusive. Not a deal killer, and is probably a feature that you'll be thankful for in the rain, but the execution of the idea falls short on a $500 jacket.
In all I'm happy with the purchase and would buy again at $424.99 off of $500.
The jacket is still available in Sm and Med Tall at Firstgear TPG Rainier Jacket - Hi Vis Yellow - Competition Accessories
If I hadn't spent so much $ on other BS I would buy another to get the D30 armor and have a general purpose wind/rain/cold weather jacket

Old 11-23-2018, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Curious to hear if you still have the favorable review? I used various generations of the Kilimanjaro and loved it.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Curious to hear if you still have the favorable review? I used various generations of the Kilimanjaro and loved it.
Really have not put many miles on the jacket, but so far the jacket has performed well. Have not encountered rain while wearing it, so that is still an unknown.