Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Cardboard Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Cardboard Helmet

This designer made a cardboard bicycle helmet that worked so well that they're looking into making a motorcycle one:

Cardboard Helmet Passes Safety Tests - BikeRadar
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Neat idea, no doubt it would stand up to the low speed impacts of a bicycle, but no way it would work as well in a motorcycle crash.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

I honestly wouldn't think it would work in a bicycle crash either, and neither did the approval facility. The article says they tested 50 helmets as compared to the usual 5 to certify it and said it was much stronger than usual helmets.

Bicycles don't exactly go slow... those guys in the Tour de France hit 65mph on the downhills.

The impact absorbing material in motorcycles and bicycles is not much different. Densities and locations, maybe, but general properties are the same...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Squid

sethnelsonnc is on a distinguished road
Great idea for a brainbucket, but from the stand point of a former bmx racer, there is no way in hell that I would trust in. I've broken many helmets from Troylee all the way to Fly and O'neal. All DOT approved. I cant trust something like that.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I honestly wouldn't think it would work in a bicycle crash either, and neither did the approval facility. The article says they tested 50 helmets as compared to the usual 5 to certify it and said it was much stronger than usual helmets.

Bicycles don't exactly go slow... those guys in the Tour de France hit 65mph on the downhills.

The impact absorbing material in motorcycles and bicycles is not much different. Densities and locations, maybe, but general properties are the same...
They are similar because they have similar missions. Helmets are designed to protect from a 5-6 foot fall from a bike to the pavement. Road speed is irrelevant.

No (practical) helmet could protect a wearer from an impact at high speed into a fixed object.

Hey, I would trust a cardboard helmet just as much as a styrofoam one.

Last edited by killer5280; 12-31-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sethnelsonnc
Great idea for a brainbucket, but from the stand point of a former bmx racer, there is no way in hell that I would trust in. I've broken many helmets from Troylee all the way to Fly and O'neal. All DOT approved. I cant trust something like that.
That was the point... the cardboard held up to the ECE tests (European DOT equivalent), and it will have the same polymer shell that your Troylee has. And they tested 50 helmets just to be sure there weren't any surprises (when styrofoam ones are tested 5 times).
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Squid

sethnelsonnc is on a distinguished road
I would feel a thousand times safer with a carbonfiber/kevlar shell. Just because when I would fall it was always side impact head first or full face plant. The Fiberglass shells would just explode and i would find myself in the ER having my face put back together, so when I switched to Carbonfiber it just flexed and absorbed the impact. With that being said, anytime I fell or even dropped a helmet, it was compromised and I bought a new one. One more thing, a vizor will make the difference between a concussion and just a headache. Ha.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I don't like the sound of a cardboard helmet. But here's a Cardboard bicycle to go with it. LOL
Cardboard bicycle 'close to mass production': tough, green and just $20

What is it with all this carboard stuff. It's bad enough with packaging of items when shopping. Are they not thinking about all the trees getting cut down.

(:-})