SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Which brand(s) of helmet do you own (or used to own)? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/brand-s-helmet-do-you-own-used-own-10508/)

Thumper 05-27-2008 10:30 AM

Well i voted Arai, but their Quality control and craftsmanship sucks now from years past. I guess with all the other lid makers, Arai and shoei had to cut corners on their over priced lids.

The current models are now crap and fall apart compared to the older Arai models sold 5 or 6 years ago.

My next lid will be a Scorpion EX-1000.

HelmetPump permits a rider to personalize helmet fit through air adjustable cheek pads.
SpeedView an internal retractable light smoke sun visor that eases eye strain instantly in varying light conditions without changing face shields

$295 Out the door at my local dealer

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D...1C3B8467EBCB7D

cljackson99 05-31-2008 03:01 PM

Just got my new Scorpion EXO 700. Very comfortable and the visor does not fog, just as promised! I finally traded up from a 7 year old AGV that was heavier than heck, just didn't know that until I put the Scorpion on.

Was also considering Shoei RF1000, but couldn't justify the $375 price tag when I got the Scorp for $150 shipped off Fleabay!

Rock Storm 05-31-2008 05:33 PM

Just bought a Shark RSR2. One of the lightest helmets out there. visor is very thick and does not fog. Very comfy.

Used to have a Shoei.

j shizzy wizzy 05-31-2008 05:41 PM

in opinion, my scorpion exo 700 is the best bang for your buck! this is my second, since the first one kissed pavement.

j shizzy wizzy 05-31-2008 05:47 PM

omg i just saw the retractable sun visor in the exo 1000 that is the coolest thing ever!

VTRsurfer 05-31-2008 06:17 PM

Arai Corsair Sete Giberneau Replica. I've owned 4 Arais since the mid '80s. A Wes Cooley Replica, a Mike Baldwin Replica and an Arai Spirit.

I still have all the old ones but the insides are all deteriorated. I crashed wearing the Baldwin back in 1989. It saved my face from some damage. I can't understand guys that wear open face.

Erik S. 05-31-2008 09:18 PM

J shizzy, lots of manufacturers have that sun visor now, HJC and Nolan for sure.

I just purchased a Shoei RF-1000. The Gobert TC-1. LOVE IT!!!! Much better than the HJC that I still have.

Got a good deal too, normally sells for $514 or so, and I found it on Ebay for $379. I'll look up the seller for anyone who is interested.

Erik

dproff2 08-21-2008 08:09 AM

I was wearing a KBC VR1 up until the beginning of this spring. Nice enough helmet, but seems a little short so updraft is a big problem at higher speed. Feels like it's trying to tear your head off with the strap.

My wife bought me an Icon Airframe helmet this year as a bday present. Initially the liner seems very stiff and almost uncomfortable...its starting to loosen up a bit now. I'm not a big fan of the visor side plates or their visor mechanism. However, the factory fog free shield is very nice and the chin curtain works well for cooler days. The spoilers front and back work very well for keeping the helmet stable at speed (as long as you don't turn your head :shock:), and updraft is nearly nonexistent. YMMV.

Bfritts3 08-21-2008 10:02 AM

I just picked up my EXO-1000 last week. I like it allot better then the EXO-700 that i was using (dads). The only real problem I have with it is that it doesn't flow as well as the 700.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0902-2.jpg
^$299 shipped from ebay. XL in matte black

Sablotny 09-19-2008 08:24 PM

Shoei RF-1000. Had an Arai Quantum 2 before but have realized I've got a Shoei head. My only complaint is Bad Helmet Hair when I'm meeting with clients and consultants. But that's probably more my hair's fault.

Duck007 09-19-2008 09:14 PM

Shoei RF-1000 right now. Like it but liked the Arai Signet Sceptre I had back in the day. The Shoei is noisier. I bought a Scorpion Exo (400?)for my son to use...like the graphics but it's much heavier feeling on the head than the Shoei and don't like the way it fits me.

COLE 09-20-2008 08:17 PM

once u go shoei you ll never go back i sale helmets for a living, the shop i work at has over 1500 helmets in stock from the most expensive to cheapest, i ride with a rf1000, would love an x-eleven but not worth extra money unless racing. it comes down to how much is your head worth? the more the helmet cost the cheaper the doctor bill is

COLE 09-20-2008 08:18 PM

suomy helmets fit to small but have awesome designs on em

roadapple 09-21-2008 05:51 AM

I voted Shoei and KBC, but I have something called a "Zamp" as well. I like my KBC because it flows alot of air, and it's relatively quiet. Important in Texas:shock:

RK1 09-21-2008 10:08 AM

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

This is the excellent helmet test and article done by MOTORCYCLIST a couple years ago.

My opinion is that the $80 Bell sold at Walmart will protect your head about as well as anything you can buy.

For hundreds more you get convienience features, styling and brand/bling appeal, but not better head protection.

If you buy a Snell approved helmet, you might actually be getting less head protection.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Flame away!

Duck007 09-21-2008 02:45 PM

+1 RK1! I read that article when it came out. Interesting stuff.

L8RGYZ 09-23-2008 05:56 PM

Got a Shark RSX back in June. I like it a lot. Very light. The outer shell is quite large, but not a problem except for a bit of buffeting at higher speeds. I've gotten used to that though.

Comfy liner, although after a full day of riding the temples of my sunglasses feel like they are fused to my head. And the ear hole hit me in a funny place.

Not all that quiet, but GREAT ventilation!

The shield is the thickest on the market & it seals well. And I really like that the shield is infinitely variable. There are no clicks and it moves up & down very smoothly. I also like that I can leave it cracked open quite a bit on hot days & get good airflow on my face, yet it doesn't seem to cause a lot of air turbulence to irritate my eyes like my KBC does.

The down side is the field of view is not as good as my KBC VR1, so I have to turn my body more to do head checks. Also, The shield is not the easiest to change. There are little levers on each side that you have to slide down. Then you have a button that's rather difficult to push to release the shield; and you have to use quite a bit of force pulling on the shield while at the same time pushing hard on the button. Still, it is doable after you get used to its quirks. Oh, and shields for this baby cost $75 - $80!

I haven't sugar-coated this review, but actually I love this helmet. It feels very protective and I like the graphics quite a bit also.

armyguy8381 10-09-2008 02:32 PM

I have an Arai, Suomy, and a Shoei. I will have to say for me My Arai is the lightest. My Suom is the coolest and my Shoei is the quitest and warmest. I have the RX7 Pedrosa Corsair. The Ben Bostrom X1R. and the RF 1000 I think it's the Knubbie. Been along time since I bought that one. Still in good shape.

mrmhrm9598 04-08-2011 06:28 PM

Scorpion EXO-750 Eternity. LOVE IT! Before that Bell Star and Icon.

budd 04-09-2011 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another vote for Arai, I've been buying and wearing Arai from the mid 80s and have owned quite a few over the years, crashing in many of them and I'm convinced they have saved me from serious injury, I may have broken quite a few bones in my time but my head has remained intact.

I read a comment in a previous post stating Arai’s quality control had been deficient in recent years and quality has\suffered as a result, I have to disagree with this, IMHO Arai are just as good as they always were, what I would say is that the other brands have improved over the years bridging the perceived quality gap. As I’ve said I’ve bought quite a few lids over the years and always looked at other brands before buying yet another Arai, in the past the differences between Arai and most other brands was very obvious, Arai been head and shoulders above the opposition in terms of fit, finish and indeed style, this is no longer the case there are some excellent helmets out there.

My current helmet line up is below, the yellow Quantum on the left is 21 yrs old!!! and still in pretty good shape, my new RX7 (centre) is a great helmet very comfortable and confidence inspiring, the black lid on the right is my car racing helmet and was bought as a replacement for my old Arai motorsport lid, why no new Arai ? well I simply couldn't afford 2 new Arais and chose to spend the money on a RX7 for biking and a lesser know V2 Pro helmet for car racing and I have to say I'm very impressed with the V2 considering it was a fraction of the cost of a Arai it as all the required features Snell 2005 approval, 2mm visor, fire resistant lining etc, it goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune anymore to buy a decent lid.

Attachment 26261

uchi 04-09-2011 02:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this is my new guy, black shark rsi carbon fiber. this thing is light. ive got a regular rsi and this is significantly lighter than the normal version.
Attachment 26259

ive got an hjc thats way too big and fits me like crap. also just sold a joe rocket rkt101 to a buddy, it fit well but was heavy and i didnt like the way the air was pushed under it and directly into my eyes. first ride out i felt like my eyes got sand blasted, all the dust from the road went under the front and was aimed at my eyes. not impressed. havent ridden with the carbon yet but just by wearing it it feels like wearing a ball cap vs wearing a hard hat

and this is the old shark. love this helmet

Attachment 26260

Pimpsterbim1 04-09-2011 08:29 AM

I just picked up a Shark RSF3 'trendy' grafic that was on clearance. Its pretty light (1500g), comfortable liner, and fits my awkward head well. But after wearing for its first 20 mile ride this morning I'm glad I got it at a great price. It whistles a lot, and the std shield was giving me problems on a chilly trip with both vents open.

So its a nice helmet, but not worth the full $350. But I think they are being discontinued so there are probably deals to be had.

I'v still got my eye out for a Suomy Vandal.

scottiemann 04-09-2011 08:58 AM

I used to own a couple hjc's which i actually still have but recently i bought the z1r jackal pandora in green and it is amazing... it has a flip down tinted visor inside so i have the option of both without changing windscreens

VTRsurfer 04-09-2011 09:39 AM

For an update, I bought a Shoei X-12 about a year ago. I still wear my Arai Corsair Sete Gibernau Replica at times. The Arai is lighter, but the fit of my Shoei is fantastic.

broncsrule21 04-09-2011 06:47 PM

I own an HJC, my wife has a KBC. My favorite helmet was my Arai Kevin Schwantz replica.

NooB 04-09-2011 09:13 PM

I'm really happy with my Scorpion 700. I think it's neat that you can get custom designs for the liner. Next helmet I get is gonna be the EXO-750. It's the 700 shell with the lockable visor and the adjustable cheeks. Should make for a great track helmet.

lucas_chanel 04-09-2011 10:10 PM

well i dont see mine up there, i wear the Akuma- apache themed helmet. the main reason i bought it for the led red lids on the back while i ride at night making more visible and the white led map reading light built into the front of the helmet, it is DOTand ESE approved also, i didnt forget to add that into my cosideration. Oh and im ARMY so i love the OD green paint job to match the
apache helicopter
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7826421_n.jpg

CrankenFine 04-10-2011 04:14 AM

I can't believe the poll does not include Bell, one of the pioneers in helmet technology. I think they've protected a significant proportion of heads over the years.

ttocsmai 04-10-2011 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lucas_chanel (Post 298489)
well i dont see mine up there, i wear the Akuma. the main reason i bought it for the led red lids on the back while i ride at night making more visible and the white led map reading light built into the front of the helmet, it is DOTand ESE approved also, i didnt forget to add that into my cosideration.
Oh and im ARMY so i love the OD green paint job to match the apache helicopter

I am ex Air Force, so I ordered the Akuma Air Force model

cwlucky13 04-10-2011 11:22 AM

arai hayden , suomy bostrom
arai fits me the best, have a shoei for dirt but there street one was a bit to lose