Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Boots - Herman Survivors Kokiak (are they worth a damn)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Boots - Herman Survivors Kokiak (are they worth a damn)

Well... I've almost ALWAYS used my timberland boots for riding boots... I have had them for probably 4-5yrs now, use them for mowing the grass, riding on my 4wheelers in mud and snow, working on the house, and you name it, they get used for it...

BUT... they are that standard yellowish color that most of them are, and look horrible now that I actually wear riding pants... with jeans they where fine looking.

I was at walmart last night, and while walking through the baby section, I wondered into the boots (right next to baby stuff) and got to looking at there work boots... They had a set of Herman Survivors Kodiak combat style black boots on clearance for $34.00, so I grabbed a pair, and figured i would look for reviews on them and decide if they are worth keeping.

I found some reviews on other models of Herman Survivors boots, but nothing specific on these...

They are a combat style boots, so they are fairly tall compared to my timberland boots, they are listed as waterproof, oil resistant, slip resistant, and composite toe... The toe feels similar to my tim's in they are not steel toe, but still have a stiff section above your toes. they are somewhat light weight compared to steel toe boots.

My timberland boots survived my crash this year very well, the part of the soul that drug along the pavement shaved down some, which looks like you took a sander to it, but all structural integrity is still fine. and these are well broken in, and beaten pretty good.

So.... does anybody have any idea if these are worth a damn?

most reviews i found on the herman survivors series stuff was decent, but i bought a pair of normal shoes at wally world once that where done for in 6 months...

oh yea, they where $34.00
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have had my Herman Survivors boots for several years now and no complaints...

Originally Posted by joshuatest
Well... I've almost ALWAYS used my timberland boots for riding boots... I have had them for probably 4-5yrs now, use them for mowing the grass, riding on my 4wheelers in mud and snow, working on the house, and you name it, they get used for it...

BUT... they are that standard yellowish color that most of them are, and look horrible now that I actually wear riding pants... with jeans they where fine looking.

I was at walmart last night, and while walking through the baby section, I wondered into the boots (right next to baby stuff) and got to looking at there work boots... They had a set of Herman Survivors Kodiak combat style black boots on clearance for $34.00, so I grabbed a pair, and figured i would look for reviews on them and decide if they are worth keeping.

I found some reviews on other models of Herman Survivors boots, but nothing specific on these...

They are a combat style boots, so they are fairly tall compared to my timberland boots, they are listed as waterproof, oil resistant, slip resistant, and composite toe... The toe feels similar to my tim's in they are not steel toe, but still have a stiff section above your toes. they are somewhat light weight compared to steel toe boots.

My timberland boots survived my crash this year very well, the part of the soul that drug along the pavement shaved down some, which looks like you took a sander to it, but all structural integrity is still fine. and these are well broken in, and beaten pretty good.

So.... does anybody have any idea if these are worth a damn?

most reviews i found on the herman survivors series stuff was decent, but i bought a pair of normal shoes at wally world once that where done for in 6 months...

oh yea, they where $34.00
Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Well... After lacing the new boots up today, and walking around in them, I decided I really didn't like them. They had lace holes all the way up, and when laced up, the ankles didn't give much at all, and I just got to feeling while I think quality wise they where ok, they just where not comfortable enough for the riding position.

so... I took them back and just so happened to see the Herman Survivors Commander model, which is just about the same height boot, but has real leather on heels and toe, not steel toe, but still stiff in toe, and has a flexable mid section, which alloys comfortable bending... Also has lace hooks on the top half, which makes lacing faster, and more options for different heights of lacing for comfort.

These where less money original cost, but the others where on clearance, so it cost me another $10, and I really think i'll be happy with these, i have had them on the last hour, and they are very comfortable...

I will be riding in them most of this week, and will report back with quality of them in a week, and then again later in the riding season.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
JB1
Squid

JB1 is on a distinguished road
"Herman Survivors Commander"
I have been using these boots for the last 3000 miles. I wanted to buy some riding boots, but needed all the other riding gear & new tires when I bought my SH. So I had looked at some cheaper alternatives until I save up enough $ for actual riding boots. I know the protection isn't as good as riding boots, but better then shoes. I have been very happy with them. They did a pretty good job in light rain, but have not used the in a heavy down poor. The top of the left boot is holding up well, so far no holes. They should last at least until the snow starts to fly. Hope to have riding boots before then.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I understand exactly what you new guys to the bike are dealing with. Now that you own this monster - can you afford to ride it. I went through the same shock but it can be done easily with more modest gear - ie - from the mx gear.

Instead of buying the full ride suits, buy some knee/shin protectors. Buy the good leather jackets from the usual suppliers and buy them tight. Protection that shifts when you hit is worthless. Different jackets have different breathe. My MotoGP and FirstGear jackets are like wearing a screendoor with armor. Full leather.

Wicky under armor helps a sweet bunch. Available at Acedemy. Cheap stuff works fab!

Boots, boots, boots. They're worth it.

There's lots of deals out there with the economy the way it is. Shop carefully - deals can be had.

It's summertime so you all be careful out there!

You're supposed to look hot!

Last edited by nuhawk; 07-14-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I wear 8 inch composite toe, steel shank, boots. I have them for work, and they work great for riding. They are black.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I bought some Dainese Torque Out boots last year, after riding in sneakers for 26 years. Great protection, light weight and very flexible. Well worth the investment, just under $300, and I will never wear them out. Should have done it years earlier.
I just keep a spare pair of shoes at work for when I ride the commute.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Well....

I have put on about 100 miles with the commander boots, and gotta say i am pleased with the fit. They are pretty comfortable too, and allow for forward movement of your legs when in riding position.

As for gear...

I've got a Joe Rocket Ballistic series mesh jacket, with all the optional armor in addition to the included armor... Very pleased with the jacket, fits very nicely, and no armor movement at all. My wife has a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, and its SUCKS in comparison to the older Balistic series mesh stuff..

I have the Tour Master Venture textile pants which I love... Paid $100.00 for them from new enough, however they are a tad warm for the hot day's.

i also have a set of Fieldsheer mesh/textile pants for the hot day's, which fit well, and breath very well. $75 craigslist special

Leather riding gloves from some website - $25

and now boots... So the set is complete.

I've got about $300.00 tied up in gear so far, including both sets of pants, and gotta say its well worth it. When I went down in April, we spent well over $600.00 in medical supplies to cover up, and keep my road rash healing. The gear I ride in isn't full leathers, nor is my riding hard enough to feel the need, however IF i would have had this gear on that day, I would like to think that I would have only worn out a couple hundred bucks worth of gear, had some scrapes, and been better off.

After comparing the riding boots with most taller work boots, it doesn't seem like there is to much to gain with true riding boots. So i think these will do fine.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I ride with Carolina steel toe loggers 'cause I like them anyhow and figure they provide OK protection. I'm not that vain, and I'm not a slave to fashion, but I don't like the way "riding boots" look. I want to look like some American guy riding his motorcycle, not like some Power Ranger/Japanese cartoon character.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That's why I like my Dainese Torque Out boots. They are not giant, made to wear with pants OUTside the boots (I ride in Levi's). They are mostly leather. I looked hard to find comfortable boots that didn't weigh a ton.
Pricey, but I figured after riding for 26 years in sneakers they are worth it.

Anything that protects your ankles is better than sneakers.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 07-17-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add to post