RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

When are they going to invent Turn Signals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
When are they going to invent Turn Signals?

I don't know about areas where other members live, but here in SoCal it seems that signaling turns, lane changes, etc is not required.

I know that turn signals were standard equipment on all cars in the early 1950's, but I guess on new cars in the 21st century they are a very expensive option that most people cannot afford, since I rarely see them used.

Oh, excuse me, they were just on the cell phone, or couldn't be bothered with signaling their intentions.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I don't know about areas where other members live, but here in SoCal it seems that signaling turns, lane changes, etc is not required.

I know that turn signals were standard equipment on all cars in the early 1950's, but I guess on new cars in the 21st century they are a very expensive option that most people cannot afford, since I rarely see them used.

Oh, excuse me, they were just on the cell phone, or couldn't be bothered with signaling their intentions.
What, do you want these people to multi-task or something??
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
I mean that turn signal level it just so far AWAAAAYY!!! from the steering wheel, and it's not as if when you rotate the steering wheel in the appropriate direction you can simply extend your hand past the wheel and flick the signal; plus you have to make a concerted effort to remember to cancel the turn-signal after you use it which taxes my brain's processing power beyond sustainable levels, I mean I'm frickin' breathing over here, give me a break, a man can only do SO much.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
In Hawaii, those few that do use turn signals, don't active them untill they begin to execute the turn, as if to say "look at me I'm turning!"...no forewarning at all...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by txrb182sc
I mean that turn signal level it just so far AWAAAAYY!!! from the steering wheel, and it's not as if when you rotate the steering wheel in the appropriate direction you can simply extend your hand past the wheel and flick the signal; plus you have to make a concerted effort to remember to cancel the turn-signal after you use it which taxes my brain's processing power beyond sustainable levels, I mean I'm frickin' breathing over here, give me a break, a man can only do SO much.
Sorry, my bad.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Actually, it's in the new owner's manual for BMW (car) owners. It says using the turn signal too many times will wear out the stalk and cause premature leakage of turn signal fluid. Besides, since when does using turn signals count as part of the Ultimate Driving Experience??

Just kidding. Porsche drivers are just as bad.

Hey, what's the difference between porcupines and BMW cars? . .. ... .... sorry, that's an old one.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter where you live in the great USA, 50% of the people are dumb-asses that don't really give a **** about anyone but themselves. And the other 40% surely don't appreciate the fact you are enjoying your travels on a bike while their insensitive *** is seatbelted to fine corinthian leather while drinking their starbucks and talking/texting on the phone.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Confused....
Are you suggesting I telegraph my intentions to let others know the space I'm after? Hell, might as well just show my hand!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Ha! Half the drivers around here don't have a license, registration, insurance or clue frickin' one. I'd just as soon the don't use the turn signals 'cause when they do it's three or four blocks before they intend to turn anyhow or they use it on the freeway to change lanes then roll down the road with the damn thing on for the next 20 minutes.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
While I don't have a great deal of experience riding in Southern CA (my experience being limited to a few motorcycle press launches), believe me that the drivers in that neck of the woods are generous and disciplined signallers... Come ride around Montreal some day and you'll see what real morons drive like. I would conservatively (a VERY conservative estimate) estimate that 70% of drivers NEVER signal and tailgating is the norm (to the point that you'd think it is mandated by the law)...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

What amazes me most is the Prius drivers. I think they are too wrapped up watching their hybrid drive display and calculating their gas mileage to be bothered with actually driving, let alone using turn signals.

mikstr, my wife was born in Pointe Claire. She took her mom back to Montreal 12 years ago to visit relatives, they had a rental car. She agrees with your assessment.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
Ha! Half the drivers around here don't have a license, registration, insurance or clue frickin' one. I'd just as soon the don't use the turn signals 'cause when they do it's three or four blocks before they intend to turn anyhow or they use it on the freeway to change lanes then roll down the road with the damn thing on for the next 20 minutes.
Try driving in Garden Grove where they make right turns from the left lane, and vise versa, across 3 lanes without a signal.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Try driving in Garden Grove where they make right turns from the left lane, and vise versa, across 3 lanes without a signal.
That's common around here to... If I hadn't verified myself by checking the written law I'd probably be convinced that there was a law in effect making it illegal to use signals...

Around here about 25% of the cagers are actively trying to run you over (Bikers are loud, go too-fast, endanger you and your children by their very existance and don't have to sit in the car queues, so they are entiteled to run you over aren't they?)

Another 25% are too pre-occupied with their cellphones/computers/tv's to notice if they run into anything less than a freight-train/brick wall or semi... (I have seen a guy surfing the net while driving, that really, really scared me...)

Yet another 25% is more likely to turn left if they are signaling right... Cuz they forgot to turn it off... Or they are just going down the freeway with the signal on for... oh say some 20-30 miles...

The next 24% is just to lazy to use the signals...

And the final 1% might use the signals... But after encountering the above people, the one response that prompts from me is a good yank on the stoppers as I prepare to dodge them turning left while signaling right...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
I'd love to be a cop just so I could pull poeple over for not using their signal & tell them they're getting a 'fix it' ticket for the broken signal/bulb--then when they try to get out of that ticket by showing me it works I'd slap them with a ticket for an illegal/unsafe lane change instead!! I could do it all day.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Just today on my way to work I had trouble navigating two different uncontrolled residental intersections, because both a POLICE CAR and AMBULANCE driver didn't feel like using their signals. I hope they at least have the courtesy to throw me in back after running me over.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Yet another 25% is more likely to turn left if they are signaling right... Cuz they forgot to turn it off... Or they are just going down the freeway with the signal on for... oh say some 20-30 miles...
And imagine if those cars were like most bikes and didn't automatically cancel the signal. That number would increase to 99%.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
I think, in all seriousness, that cell phone usage eliminates 85% of all non-steering activity.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Squid

firehawk is on a distinguished road
I used to be very annoyed by 'em but now I know better; those cagers have to do so many things while behind the wheels, besides driving! Plus the cost of owning a vehicle & maintaining it is increasing, so I'd just let 'em save a bit on turn signal bulbs then while keeping my distance !