RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Stolen bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stolen bikes

I got my house broke into last night and had two bikes stolen from my garage. Found out at 6am. Lucky for me they only got two small bikes, a KLX110 and a XR80. They kicked in the back door while I was asleep and rolled them out. I sleep hard and did not hear a thing. If I did, things might have turned out different. They couldn't get any of the other bikes cause of the layout of the garage. Too many things in the way to get a bigger bike out. Filed a police report and while the cop was still in the drive way finishing it, I opened the blinds to let in the morning light I saw my neighbors' house had been broken into also.
CSI came out but could not grab any prints cause the perp was wearing gloves.
So, because I had this happen to me, I suggest you look at the way you secure your bikes and make it harder for anyone to steal your stuff. Yes, there were some things I could have done different. Those things will now be taken care of, as there are more bikes in the garage and I don't want this to happen again. Lesson learned the hard way. Set me back about $1500 and some time. I am still alive and no one touched the SuperHawk. Thank God!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
wow man that really sucks! hate to hear experiences like that, people just can't act normal and do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay anymore, they gotta steal. hope they find that mother ******, excuse my language.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
put a baby monitor in your garage. you'll hear it next time!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
I thought my garage was secure. But guess not now after this. Yes I will use a monitor and a few other preventative measures as well. I did feel violated as soon as it happend. But I guess I gotta look on the positive side and know that they were just tools I used for my business that can be replaced. I would be more upset if it had been the YZ250 or SuperHawk. The value was about $1500 lost. Not that I can afford to loose $1500 but it was not several thousands.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
you don't leave your keys in your bikes in your garage do you? ( i know the smaller one's dont have keys) i used to do that then realized how stupid it was haha
Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
get a dog and a new handgun and an alarm system !!!!!!!!! And a bike lock..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Squid

Titanium05 is on a distinguished road
If you dont want a dog and dont mind spending about 100$ and a little internet research you can build an alarm system for your house. I work at an fire/security alarm company and I did not know how easy it was. A handful of normally open contacts and some piezo's will fix any door or window.

I also have a good friend Kimber 1911 .45 that I hope I never have to introduce to anyone, but he is there if I need him.

However I am happy to hear that no one got hurt and the loss was minimal. I really dont like how vulnerable it makes you feel though
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
put a baby monitor in your garage. you'll hear it next time!
It's too cold in much of the USA for monitor lizards.. Wait, you mean one of those intercom dohickys.

I just have an alarm on the house.. Set off the alarm and the neighbors wake up.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Desperate times usually mean desperate people doing **** that they wouldn't normally do. That's their problem and it will REALLY be their problem if I find them inside my gates. I'm a security freak being exposed to extreme security while I was filming some of the weapons development stuff that I did after college. I have been broken into and lost everything - except my dog and it's a horrible-angry feeling. I now hang my used targets from the range near the back gate just as a fair warning. I've had guys repeatedly cut through my fences here and APD shows up with the attitude, "You're just a landscaper - you don't own anything expensive." Well, then you come up with the $2k in small machines that just walked out of here. I've as much as told them, "The next time I call, I won't need to make a police report. I'll need body bags." They got the message and busted the kids across the street with the hot ricers and no jobs. It's the same approach I take with Norwegian rats. You take the war to them - don't wait around to get hit.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
It's too cold in much of the USA for monitor lizards.. Wait, you mean one of those intercom dohickys.

I just have an alarm on the house.. Set off the alarm and the neighbors wake up.

LOL...took me a few seconds!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

I did have to ask the Cop that filed the report; "what are my legal rights if I catch someone in my house/garage again?" His reply; "I think you already know what the answer is. If you feel threatened you can defend yourself".
Hope it does not happen, but I would hate to have him reappear to steal more stuff.
All keys are in the house and not left in any of the bikes. The bay door has a lock on it. After looking around some more, I noticed he did move some stuff to try and open the bay door to get out that way. He only took what he could get out the small door. There was too much stuff in the way to get a bigger bike out that door. Lucky me eh?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I can't believe they were ballsy enough to do it while you were home.

My security is to shoot guns frequently at any hour of the day or night. But I leave the keys in the bikes which I should probably stop doing. Although a thief would have a similar problem getting them out cause of all the crap everywhere.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
I did have to ask the Cop that filed the report; "what are my legal rights if I catch someone in my house/garage again?" His reply; "I think you already know what the answer is. If you feel threatened you can defend yourself".
Hope it does not happen, but I would hate to have him reappear to steal more stuff.
All keys are in the house and not left in any of the bikes. The bay door has a lock on it. After looking around some more, I noticed he did move some stuff to try and open the bay door to get out that way. He only took what he could get out the small door. There was too much stuff in the way to get a bigger bike out that door. Lucky me eh?

It isn't unusual for thieves to come back a few days or a week later to get the good stuff they now know you have but couldn't haul out the first time.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I sleep hard and did not hear a thing.
Not anymore! Or at least not for a long time.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
if you have homeowners insurance, that should help defray the cost of replacing the stolen items...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I thought my garage was secure. But guess not now after this. Yes I will use a monitor and a few other preventative measures as well. I did feel violated as soon as it happend. But I guess I gotta look on the positive side and know that they were just tools I used for my business that can be replaced. I would be more upset if it had been the YZ250 or SuperHawk. The value was about $1500 lost. Not that I can afford to loose $1500 but it was not several thousands.
I like your attitude....just make a few adjustments and move on. Theives are the worst....and unfortunately, now the guy knows what you have left. Glad your 'Hawk didn't vanish.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Locking the forks might slow them down enough to make them move on.

It's a bitch having your stuff stolen. I had a 4 month old Isuzu Trooper stolen in 1990. I had a condo at that time and they took it from the carport. Not much protection there. I was going to ride my CB700SC to work that morning anyway. It was chained to a steel post and had a Kryptonite lock through the rear wheel.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Took more precautionary measuers last night to secure my property. Hopefully this won't happen again. If it does, it will be harder to get in and out with anything. Lesson learned= should have done this in the first place.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I hear ya. Hindsight sometimes makes you want to kick yourself in the butt.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear

U must be a hard sleeper or were U passed out?

I do like the baby monitor idea though.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

I am a hard sleeper. To add to my not hearing what was going on, I had the door that leads to the kitchen closed. Some times at night, I run my dish washer and don't want to hear it at all, so this night I closed the door reducing the chance to hear anything at the back of the house. The garage is located through the kitchen.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
I like your thinking Nuhawk; now that I'm retiring from active duty I have to see about getting my concealed carry permit.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
ive had my house broken into while i was in it. but i woke up and caught the little bastard after he cried moma i put my gun away and proceeded to slap the **** out of the 16year old punk. after i held the creep over 1 hour waiting on the cops i released him with one final kick in the *** and made it perfectly clear that next time things would end very badly for him. to this day im paranoid about things that go bump in the night. i hate it you lost your bikes,and hope they catch the pearsons guilty or at least recover your property.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by txrb182sc
I like your thinking Nuhawk; now that I'm retiring from active duty I have to see about getting my concealed carry permit.

CCW is as easy as it is inexpensive in most states. I've been carrying concealed for about 2 years now. Just make sure you know the laws of your state and ones you'll be visiting.

And you said your Active Duty, so am I. Most bases offer a CCW course that only requires you are qualified to carry a pistol in the Military, i.e. the Marine Corps' yearly pistol qual for me. Presented my training record, paid the 50 dollar fee and took a 2hr class. It's good for Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

My CCW here in Denver is good in 28 states. I def. don't carry it on my person all the time. but its a nice option.