RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Some buyers are just unpleasant to deal with

Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Some buyers are just unpleasant to deal with

Tis the season to be jolly....

I posted a local ad for my girlfriend's car at $2300 with relatively low kms. It is in very good shape and mechanically never had any issue. In fact from what I gather on line, the price was $1000-1500 below market value.

Since I figured it is always better to sell it with safety and e-test, I went and got an emission test done and was about to do a safety but figured that I should only do so if a buyer would come forward. If I did not sell it by the end of the month, we would just keep it since there were new tires, all fluids changed the month before, brakes done 2 years prior and the fact that I would never get a car in the same shape for the asking price. E-test will be needed but safety will not if I kept the car - made sense to me. But I wanted my parking space since we have 2 cars already and it was just sitting there. All in all, I wasn't concern about safety and would have done so on my dime should the buyer was willing to pay the asking price. Safety here is about $90 but it's a pain to arrange everything to coincide with work.

So 2 days later, I get a guy interested and wanted to see the vehicle. I told him to wait till the weekend since it would be dark by the time I came home and much better for him to see it in the daytime so to know what he is buying. He insisted so we met that night and he looked over the vehicle, test drove it, liked it and asked if I would budge on the price. I said no since it was e-tested and would be safety, etc. He then tells me that in Quebec (where he is from) the Ontario safety would not apply and it wouldn't needed. At that point, I agreed to a reduction in price since I had yet done the safety thus would not incur the added expense and the hassle. I also told him that I know nothing about certification from Quebec but am confident that it shouldn't be a problem given the condition of the car.

He left and contacted me later and offered to see the vehicle again during the daytime. I agreed that it would be best and once he arrived the second time with his wife, she took the car for a brief test drive and thought the car was great. She even mentioned how the brakes were much better than the other car they currently own (same vehicle - but apparently brakes rusted out and engine blown because he didn't do maintenance on it) even though I said I believe that it might require some attention after sitting for 3 weeks or so. He inspected it and after another test drive spent 15 minutes inspecting all aspects of the vehicle including the operation of windows, wipers, lights, doors, etc.

So at this point he asked for further reduction in price to which I did not agree and re-affirm that the previous reduction in price reflect the time saved and associated cost from my end. I then specifically reaffirm that although I am confident it would pass safety (which I was more than willing to do - provided it be done in Ontario) I had no idea what the situation is with Quebec. After speaking to his wife in private, he agreed to buy the vehicle.

Then after agreement he asked to take the vehicle to Quebec to have it inspected. I couldn't agree because we didn't have adequate insurance on it and I wasn't going to give the guy the car without it first being sold. I then told him that if he was not comfortable, we can simply void the sale no harm no foul. He thought for a bit then agreed to purchase it.

A couple days later we finalized the purchase and he arrived with a already drafted receipt in which he himself had the words "as is" in it. I provided everything including a newer battery with warranty since I had one laying around - free of charge. He then texts to me in appreciation several times.

A day later I get several calls and texts from him asking me to contact him. I did and he spoke of the Quebec certification issue. He mentioned exhaust patch, rusts and a oil leak (there were no leak when sold) as to the reasons for safety issue. I cannot see how this relate to the failure for safety but I told him that does not make sense as it appeared to be more of a money grab. He seem to agree but said to the effect that - he doesn't want to put any more money into it. To me it sounded like he was making excuses, was having buyer's remorse or whatever the reason.

I thought it over several days and was about to take the car back but during this time, I was getting numerous texts how this and that was problematic. Then he sent me this which pissed me off.

Good afternoon.

"I sent this message to you this morning, via text, to your cell phone...

If you do not have the decency to hear what I have to say, considering it is an opportunity for you to come out ahead and even gain...then you leave me no choice but to take a legal route.

The choice is yours.

As of this morning you had 24 hours to respond...

Thank you."

I sent back:

Firstly, let me be clear that by responding to you I am not addressing your threat of legal actions but merely want to put it into context of how this situation has evolved into something that I find extremely intrusive and it must stop. The chains of events clearly illustrate that I've done everything possible to assist you, being in good faith and did what is expected of me both morally and legally.

(recited the chains of events back to him)

I don't see how I am now responsible for your sudden decision for not wanting the vehicle or for you having buyer's remorse. I have never mislead you, never said anything that wasn't true, never promise anything relating to the SAC safety for clearly I indicated that I know absolutely nothing about. In retrospect, I was completely upfront and have, in my opinion, bend over backward to assist you and offered you more than it was necessary. You were fully aware of my position and what you were buying. For you to decide otherwise now is not something I am willing to accept responsibility for and I don't think anything will be to your satisfaction.

I find your texts and emails and constant phone calls unwarranted, unwelcome and bordering on harassment.

As such, I will not respond further to you in the future and am not interested in your "opportunity" or anything you may have to offer as I no longer wish to communicate with you.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck even in light of this unfortunate situation.

---

So I got an email this morning titled:

Holidays

● I had never ‘threatened’ you with legal action...as you so accuse me of.

● No, I would not agree with you saying that you had acted morally, as there are numerous things wrong with your (previous) automobile, many of which you had not properly reported/exposed

● It is unkind, and not just of you to exaggerate statements, such that my wife ‘thought the car performed admirably’

● You are very fortunate to have unloaded your (previous) vehicle on to a great sucker (myself), as you would most certainly not have been able to, should someone else had been interested in the vehicle. The fact is that this vehicle failed not only the Quebec safety inspection, but also Ontario safety inspection, with over $1000 in repairs required before approval can be made.

● ‘almost new tires’ you say...tires were one of the items that did not pass the Ontario Safety inspection.

● I picked up the vehicle Tuesday November 27...’A day later I get several calls and texts from you’...you exaggerate, for Wednesday November 28 morning I had the vehicle inspected, and upon learning of the situation I had found myself in, I had made 3 telephone calls to you...not ‘several calls’ and certainly no texts

● Thursday November 29 you sent one text...no phone calls were made by you, as you declare was done... I then attempted to contact you via telephone (3 calls made), to which you did not answer

● you only list three of the several items I had mentioned to you, that were issues to be addressed, before Safety approval could be done in Quebec...however, I had also mentioned to you when we spoke (Friday November 30), that I did not have the list with me at the time of our conversation...the fact is that there are fifteen (15) issues that are to be addressed, before anyone can achieve Safety approval for this vehicle

● ‘I cannot see how this relate to the failure for safety’...your opinion, and mine for that matter, is irrelevant, unless you are an automobile mechanic...Quebec has their rules & guidelines for approving a vehicle Safety, and this vehicle simply failed...it also failed in Ontario...

● ‘mentioning your family owned auto business’...this is a false statement, for my family does not own an ‘auto business’

● ‘I have never mislead you, never said anything that wasn't true’...this is false, for you clearly did not declare that the exhaust system had a leak, due to a hole in the resonator, and thus is now subject to repair, in order to pass either Quebec or Ontario Safety...you had also stated that the emergency parking brake was fully functional, by simply pulling up and down the brake lever, when in fact this brake does not execute its task, namely stopping the vehicle from moving while this emergency brake is engaged...this too is subject for repair, before passing Safety

To say that I am disappointed, and quite frustrated, is an understatement.

When we met and spoke at the beginning, I did not want to believe that you would expressly deceive us... however I am now of the opposite opinion.

I truly wish no good things for you, and hope for you an unpleasant, unrestful holiday, knowing that you have dealt a family much grief and pain.

Bad luck to you and your accomplice.

So I googled him and found this guy had several ads in the past trying to sell rusted out pieces of **** and what not which kinda indicative of what he's all about. All this for $2k Well...F U

Last edited by calitoz; 12-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 AM
SHawk Member
Back Marker

JN607 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be able to handle that guy in as civil of a manner as you did. I have an extremely short fuse and that guy would have gotten the full brunt of it. Good for you and I do NOT wish an unrestful holiday for you or your family. You have a fantastic holiday!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
wow, the patience of a saint and i ain't even religious.ha I want to buy something from you.

I haven't sold alot but a few bikes and a car or two, but i have a policy. Set a fair price, when the prospective buyer asks for a lower price (which you can't blame him for because most set their prices high),tell him it's firm and if asks again, raise the price $50 right there. Save yourself a lot of aggravation from ignorant ********. If you're desparate to sell, then you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Last edited by nath981; 12-24-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Thanks man...same to you and yours... Funny thing is that had I not given a ****, this would have ended a long time ago. The fact that I did more than required seems to make him feel like he is the big victim now. Just noticed the guy implied that the vehicle can't even get certification in Ontario now. Why he would decide to get one in Ontario when he lives in Quebec and must register there is interesting. I guest that reaffirm that I am a liar.

Again, all this negativity for $2k

Last edited by calitoz; 12-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
a good person would have appreciated all your efforts and you both would have had an easy go of it because of your penchant for fairness and willingness to go the extra yard.
In this case, you hooked an ******* on your first cast and he pulled you in. The main thing to take from this experience is to determine now while it's fresh in your mind what you can do differently to minimize this happening again. Kinda like fallin off your bike huh.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you can't win Lou. I sell alot of stuff (tools, etc) including a few vehicles here and there, on craigslist, and the funny thing is sometimes I can tell immediately when someone is going to be a problem...I'm to the point where with some people I am firm, not rude, but firm and whenever they start in with lowballing the price, not comprehending the meaning of "as is" regardless of how overly honest I am (i've actually talked people OUT of buying more than one of my bikes simply because I didn't think it was a smart choice for their situation), and asking alot of stupid questions that could be answered in 2 minutes on google, I'll tell them where whatever I'm selling can be found brand new and to have a nice day...

Hope you and your family have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday. &@#! him...

Last edited by captainchaos; 12-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Thanks Beau. I haven't been posting for a while now but have lurked. Still own the hawk but haven't ridden it much - more than a year now..;( Funny that I come here to rant but I know this is probably the most civilized forum that I've been on and it just seems natural for me to come here and rant.

F him is right...Enough with this...

Happy Holidays...urg F politically correctness - Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah Everyone...
Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Squid

sethnelsonnc is on a distinguished road
As long as there is a signed Bill of sale saying "as is", you have the law on your side. There's nothing that can be done. I've had to deal with a few ******** like this before.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great candidate for a holiday walk behind the woodshed

On a more serious note, what really sucks is that you have clearly gone over and above the call of duty, and this is the thanks you get. Kudos to you and f**k him.

Happy holidays!

cheers