RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

How to haul a bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Actually, "lean" was probably simplistic phrasing. The bike would effectively lean away from the direction of the turn like a ship rather than lean into it like a boat. Or a bike. Even though the forks remain in the same plane for the most part, the axis of the rest of the bike would shift in a turn. Doesn't seem like it would put undue stress on anything unless you turned tight circles over and over. Can't be as bad as hard breaking.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 02-25-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Do we need a reason?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
1) Tie downs would simply triangulate the front end, stabilizing it. The rear would be unaffected and the bike isnt leaning with a solidly mounted fork

2) The wheels gyroscopic force is what stabilizes the bike.

Look at the front wheel carrier that is marketed to the public. It uses tie downs like every racer and bike transporter has always used.

Glad you got the bike home.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
1) Tie downs would simply triangulate the front end, stabilizing it. The rear would be unaffected and the bike isnt leaning with a solidly mounted fork

Look at the front wheel carrier that is marketed to the public. It uses tie downs like every racer and bike transporter has always used.
Yeah but those don't have the benefit of locking through the axle. It seems relatively safe to me... it's just the weight of the motorcycle on the axle with similar stresses as seen when when a wheel is on and you're riding. The HT may see some weird forces from the outward tracking though (but tie down's wouldn't fix that).

Similar to bicycle racks... the ones that lock through the axle don't need handlebar tie downs, but the ones that just lock the front wheel in do
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Looks to me like his tow framis replaces the front wheel with the axle holding the bike in place. No way it could fall off unless the axle were to fall out and that's not likely. If you put tie downs on it, that wouldn't allow the bike to lean when the car turns causing mucho tweakage.

The bike cannot lean. The front axle is being held horizontal to the car. So as the car sways, the bike will too... probably not a huge concern.

The only independent bike movement will be aft of the steering head, where the bike can pivot to follow and track.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FTL900
The bike cannot lean.
Well, it will lean a little bit due to the nature of the head angle. The more it swings outwards, the more it leans because the rear wheel isn't in line with the head angle anymore. If the head tube were vertical it wouldn't lean at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

2) The wheels gyroscopic force is what stabilizes the bike.

1) I misread your first post. For some reason, I thought you were suggesting putting tie downs on the bike to hold it straight. Tie downs on the bars would help relieve some stresses on the forks, but seem unecessary with this set-up. Tie downs used on the example (marketed to the public) carrier earlier in the post are required because there is essentially nothing holding the bike upright with that design. The OP's design holds the bike upright because the axle is stuck through a solid mount which is, in turn, stuck in a receiver bolted to a car.

As I said, "lean" was a simplistic way to put it. However, if the car turns, the fork turns with it and, since the fork is angled back, the frame of the bike will not remain perpendicular to the pavement. It would, effectively, "lean" away from the direction of the turn. Kind of like countersteering in reverse. Oops, there I said it, "countersteering". If that doesn't get the "discussion" going, then how about this:

2) Depends on what you mean by "stabilizes".
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Squid

JayTea is on a distinguished road
Well everything turned out working great no problems with the but I will remove the chain next time.
I was counting on the front springs to keep it upright the axle was a perfect fit with the hitch I made and I made sure it was packed with grease to protect the axle
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Glad to hear you made it and all is well. Has your bike been painted that you are aware of? Your yellow looks lighter than "normal", or maybe that's just the pics.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Sorry, VTR1000F, I thought you were joking about the "lean". It's hard to tell with your sense of humor sometimes.

I hada a few drinks last night and gyroscopic is the word I meant to type in my little story!

It appears VTR, 7 have it figured. But since Mr. Tea (I pitty tha fool) got his bike back safely without issue, I'm assuming this disscusion will keep going untill we figure out what the definition of "Is" is, the meaning of life, why we weren't sucked up into those little black holes at CERN, and if there is time, possibly make some side bets on how long it takes untill Insulinboy posts another reference to the YZF600 (I kid, I kid).
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Squid

JayTea is on a distinguished road
Ya its been painted it was a track bike at some point and the previous owner converted it back for street use but its still kinda stripped down.. and the meaning of life is whatever you want it to be
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Yeah, a lot of track bikes are painted yellow in an effort to make them faster.