General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: What type of cycling do you do?
Road Bike
12.50%
Mountain Bike
35.42%
Both
31.25%
None
18.75%
Other
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Road Bike, Mountain Bike, both, none, other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Road Bike, Mountain Bike, both, none, other?

I'm an avid road cyclist and MTB rider/racer and I've read that pro moto racers use cycling to stay in tip top shape, so just checking in to see if we have any more cycling fans here?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I'm a mountain biking man myself... not to hard core... kinda hard to find the time when I work 70 hours a week.

KG

I almost bought the Giant AC3 about a year ago... loved that bike... went with a diamond back instead. If I could take it back i would, full suspension sucks for cross country riding.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

KG, I have a Titus Switchblade FS bike with the Fox Talas fork & rear shock and it rocks in XC riding and racing, but it's a little heavy at 28 lbs The rear shock is switchable on the fly in case you wanna change from 3 to 4 to 5 inches of travel and the fork locks out for long climbs. Hardtails are better for XC racing cuz they are lighter, but I like the plushness of FS
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I was bike patrol with the police....that was pretty fun.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Condor, did you pull over any cars?
LOL
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
MTB-er here. Used to race for specialized/local bike shop when I was a little younger. Fsr pro-fs ftw!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
I'm a mountain biker as well. Last year I bought a Gary Fisher Sugar 292 used. And I have had a Trek Y-22 carbon bike for a long time, I just turned that into a singlespeed a few months back. I find my moto experience gives me an advantage keeping momentum through the twisty turns on the trail. Which is good since I don't have near the lungs and legs of some of the guys I ride with.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Gary Fisher Wahoo! and a sweet Schwinn Aerosport crusier for me. I don't ride the Aerosport other than bar hopping, but when I saw it I had to have it.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Dusty B
MTB-er here. Used to race for specialized/local bike shop when I was a little younger. Fsr pro-fs ftw!
Nice! Those were the days I'm training for the road "Race Across FL" now, it's in April and I have over 2300 miles in this year already

My road bike is an Orbea w/ full Dura Ace 10 spd except carbon crank and carbon brakes w/Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. Frame is alum cuz can't see paying $4K for a carbon frame yet...

I also have an old Cannondale alum road bike circa 1988 that I've stripped down to nothing but brakes and a chain and converted it over to a single speed with a Surley singulator in place of rear derailleur.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
mountain biker here.
even though i havent seen any seat time in a year.

i do have a diamond back,dont remember model .
paid about 1,500 for it.

being married with children doesnt help.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by hawxter996
mountain biker here.
even though i havent seen any seat time in a year.

i do have a diamond back,dont remember model .
paid about 1,500 for it.

being married with children doesnt help.
I do understand that...married with a kid here too and it's sad but I actually have to choose between riding my Hawk or Bicycle on Saturday mornings cuz the family is always waiting for me to get back so can't do both
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I ride alot. I have two mtn bikes and two road bikes. A '96 Klein Pulse II hardtail decked out and a Santa Cruz Superlight with King disc wheelset and decked out for all-mtn riding. Two custom steel road bikes, one is a Landshark with Campy Record(currently running PowerCranks) and a Custom lugged steel David Cheakas(out of Dallas) running Shimano DuraAce FSA carbon cranks and King wheelset. My wife is very understanding and lets me ride bike or motor when ever I want. And buy want I want whenever I want. Go to Colorado for a couple of weeks in the summer to mtn bike and she gets a little vacation without me around.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by HawkRider98
I ride alot. I have two mtn bikes and two road bikes. A '96 Klein Pulse II hardtail decked out and a Santa Cruz Superlight with King disc wheelset and decked out for all-mtn riding. Two custom steel road bikes, one is a Landshark with Campy Record(currently running PowerCranks) and a Custom lugged steel David Cheakas(out of Dallas) running Shimano DuraAce FSA carbon cranks and King wheelset. My wife is very understanding and lets me ride bike or motor when ever I want. And buy want I want whenever I want. Go to Colorado for a couple of weeks in the summer to mtn bike and she gets a little vacation without me around.
Nice bikes You have more money in those bicycles than you do in your SH and that woman of yours is a Saint!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Yea, when I sit down and add up what I have in all the bikes and gear it get pretty scary. But it keeps me away from the booze, gambling and women so the wife is happy.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Squid

MudSwettinGears is on a distinguished road
Mountain biker here, too...have a Cannondale Jekyll FS. Try to ride 5-6 days a week...Texas weather makes it easy to get some good ride-time in, 'cept for the occasional rainy month or two. Live about a mile from 20 miles of decent trails...some wouldn't think of San Antonio of being a mountain biking mecca, but there's a lot of places to ride in town, and numerous within an hour radius.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
I've got a little collection of bikes. I've got my 26" hand built (by me) lowrider bike w/ 144 spoke rims, 20" Haro street bike, and my Pacific Aluminum 21 speed full suspension mountain bike. Great way to stay in shape and build strong legs.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
Raced mountain bikes back in the day (read mid 80's to early 90's) for Team Pedros on the East Coast. Did that for 8 years until the real world came knocking on my door! Still ride for fun, but mostly it is hauling the kids in a trailer (around town and on the rails to trails). I got the original GT Team LTS. Got it to 24lbs (well without the power attachment on the rear ) and there aint an original part on it! Also have an old school Fat Chance that was my race frame, Sommerville built of course, that the wife rides.
Attached Thumbnails Road Bike, Mountain Bike, both, none, other?-gt-team.jpg  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Condor, did you pull over any cars?
LOL
a few...most of them just run...then have to get a cager unit on them
Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I am the only one to vote "other" since I ride a fixed gear and a single speed beach cruiser, so I guess I could have just put "road"... But, fixed gears are definitely different! I never hear the clackity clack of the derailuers or tensioners! No need to shift! No brakes! It's a lotta fun.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
i ride MTB too

i really need a new bike tho

currently riding a Gary Fisher Advance
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I also am a MTB. I have a 95 GT rebound that I bought new, back in the day. It has suspension in the front Rock Shox Quadra 5 or 10 I don't recall. I do know that it is a elastomer shock. Still works well for the trail here and there. I have over 1000 trail miles on her.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm a roadie and being somewhat aged only manage at most 125 a week lately, weather permitting. I hate using my trainer and sold my rollers. However, another very stupid bicyclist caught my front wheel as he past me with his rear derailer. It was like in Ben Hur during the chariot race. His derailer started busted out my fronts spokes until the wheel collapsed. I did a big face plant but due to my thick head & moose neck ended up the worst of it with nerve damage in my shoulder and torn tendons in my elbow. Since it was NYD 07 I was wearing my vented Joe Rocket mc jacket (bought for bicycling as it was cheaper than bicycle duds and had armour), and the heavy sleeves got torn up as I skidded at 18 mph! So I'm holding off surgery until October as PT has not helped but still keep pedaling in pain.

Anyway, road riding really helps my conditioning, balance and curve carving skills. As a "clydsdale" I'm not fast but can lean it over better than most pure "recreational" bicyclists, and blow by them on the downhills (gotta luv gravity).
Attached Thumbnails Road Bike, Mountain Bike, both, none, other?-face-plant-2c.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-28-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Giant TCR Advanced with full Dura-Ace. I bought the frame used on Ebay and built it with a bunch of my parts. ~$3200 Ive been riding/ un poco racing since '87. I guess my claim to fame is 6 Markleeville Death Rides. We ride the Sierra passes before the roads open to cars. Then switch to mt. bikes.

I also have an '05 Specialized Enduro. I put Fox coils front and rear, so it got pretty heavy, but the suspension is awesome. Now I need a XC bike too. I gave my Stumpjumper to a friend who lost everything in the fire last summer.

Man, I hope I never hit my face on the ground like that!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
I ride an Iron Horse hard tail for urban/commuting, and an old-school Bianchi road bike that I rebuilt after some fool was just going to throw away. I have one set of SPD's and just swap between them! I find I ride a lot less now that I have the VTR. /
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR

Man, I hope I never hit my face on the ground like that!
Yeh, I just lay there face down while the CPU checked systems. Then I got up and dug out my phone and took pics of myself and bike. The guy who almost killed me did not even go down. Others riders stopped and picked up my bike. My Bell Alchera was cracked in half and my presciption bike glasses road rashed and cracked, my neoprene over-booties and gloves were torn but amazingly my Triflex tights were not even though I had strawberries on my legs. The Joe Rocket did not hold up that well, which surprised me. My new wheels only had about 500 miles on them and the front was banana'd and scrap. Even the bearings were shot. When I walked into the emergency room they hustled me into an exam room so as not to upset other waiting patients.

I have a 05 Jamis Satelite triple but have upgraded over time the wheels (X3 lace HD 32 double-butted spoke Mavics, another new front after the crash), cassette, derailers, cables, brakes and pads, headset, bar, stem, seat tube, saddle, chain rings, bottom bracket and cranks, chain, basically everything but the chromoly steel frame and carbon fork. I like steel for its ride and durability on the crappy roads around here. Its heavy at 21+ #s with pedals and 2 bottle cages but the geometry is quick without being twitchy if not snappy on acceleration. I wear both road and dirt shoes but run Crank Bros Candy C eggbeater pedals rather than roadies. Again due to the bad roads I'm running Continental 25mm Ultra GatorSkin rubber, which are bullet-proof, provide a good ride and grip but are a bit heavy. Gel underpads and bar tape help too with my bad wrists (which also took abeating in the crash).
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Road

I ride a TREK 5200 carbon fibre that cost me as much as my hawk. It's 15lbs with two wheels that you have to manually move with your legs. Who woulda thunk that somebody would pay 5 grand for that? I still get a giggle every time I ride it. I guess it is like spending a grand for a shock on the hawk. Some people think that is nuts because they have never seen the difference it makes. I get about 300km in every week from spring to fall up here in Canada. I'm riding around Lake Ontario this summer, 220km a day for 5 days. If anyone is near the shores of the lake, let me know and maybe give me some tips on places to stay along the way.