RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

can't win fer losing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
can't win fer losing.

dang seems like I just wasn't born under a lucky star. rear wheel dampner set gone bad, and rear wheel bearings and it's a beutiful 3 day weekend grrr..parts ordered but won't be in till next weekend and costs me parts and labor apx $300.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
That isn't squat...

The 4 ton A/C went out at the house, Carrier unit, 10 years old. Have to replace entire unit including air handler, $9750.00. If I do the 2 ton upstairs that's an additional $7000.00 for a grand total of $16000.00 and some change.

Yeah I'd take your problem in a second.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by RWhisen
That isn't squat...

The 4 ton A/C went out at the house, Carrier unit, 10 years old. Have to replace entire unit including air handler, $9750.00. If I do the 2 ton upstairs that's an additional $7000.00 for a grand total of $16000.00 and some change.

Yeah I'd take your problem in a second.
ahh see there thats why I like you guys so much somebody always has a way to cheer me up lol
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You mean damper like the cush drive? How bad could that go? And bearings are pretty straightforward. No way should it be 3 bills. What were the symptoms?

As for the AC. No advice there. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Squid

slowjoe is on a distinguished road
Buy a fan!!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You mean damper like the cush drive? How bad could that go? And bearings are pretty straightforward. No way should it be 3 bills. What were the symptoms?

As for the AC. No advice there. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.
well joe the symptoms were my butt getting squirly while going into curves wasn't sure what to make of it thought maybe chain was too tight or something but also was acting weird as surging while throttle was at a steady....so went into my local shop and had my mech look at it ant he checked it out then showed me the rear slop (not much as yet, but enouph) side to side play in the rear as bearings were going also apon inspection found a dampner block in the rear was broken (have to buy these in a set not sold seperately). parts came to $151.31 payed and ordered them...now labor is going to be north of apx $130. take about 1 and a half hours do the job. So next Saturday I am sceduled in the morning to get it replaced (oh and my mech is doing this apt as a favor as usually there is no mechanic apt on Saturdays. Prefer to let someone who knows WTF they are doing instead of me messing things up (I know my limitations lol) I work and do my job so I can get someone else to do thier specialty lol It usually works out for the best as I could mess up and cost me 2 times as much in the long run prefer to ride and let them do thier specialty lol. I hate it when someone else tries to do a handyman job (inexperienced) and screws up then calls me much cheeper for them to have called me first heh heh.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by slowjoe
Buy a fan!!!!!
Have several, however with current temps in the 90's and 100's not far away that is not a long term solution for making it through the summer in Texas.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Have several, however with current temps in the 90's and 100's not far away that is not a long term solution for making it through the summer in Texas.
you could buy my 15.7 cuft deep freezer I have for sale $100. and then put a fan in front of it lmao
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Squid

Good ideal about the freezer!!!! I will have to try that lmao
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM
SuperBike

Thanks for the freezer idea however I think I am the bug and not the windshield on this go around. HVAC companies know they have you by the short hairs. I remember as a kid growing up in Houston that all we had was an attic fan and I slept comfortably during the summer. Now if it's over 76 I can't sleep.....
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Squid

We never had ac. Hate it now! More money for the toys but u have to do what needs to be done.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

me thinks RWhisen stoleth me thread lmao
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Squid

Do you fill better about the 3 bills now
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

lol well at least got a few laughs.. It will be ok. I can ride this weekend but just cannot do tight cornering and speeds.. have to be careful and just do the straight line cruiser thang oh well it aint like the barings will explode are anything and kill me just get more warn and sloppy.. I just am not going far on it or ride it much (cept for the quick fix of riding a short trip into town or so). you know what gets me is the thought that by the time I get the bike to where I want it lol I could have spent $10k on it lol...remember monster wrangler I did that on $30k

Last edited by wsharpman; 05-25-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If all is wrong is the thin connecting pieces between the blocks are broke, that in no way effects the damper blocks in use, just makes it a pain to install the wheel parts.

Bearings can be had from any bearing shop if not already ordered... the labor, well that's a choice.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM
SuperBike

Glad you feel better about your three bills.

You could go to Harbor Freight, get an inside bearing puller and pull those old bearings. Replace them and the seals for less than 100.00 including the puller. Not sure how much the cush drive rubber is but it can't be much. Back on the road for less than 200.00 I would guess. What is the condition of your chain and spocket?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

chain and sprocket look good (as would be expected having only 19k miles on the bike) ... Also would cost more than that as I yet do not have a bike stand to pull rear wheel etc... worked on many things and pulling bearings was never fun and the rear on these bikes holds 3 of them lol. I have no pretense of being a bike mechanic lol.. as you say what ever makes you feel safest and considering it's my life on the road prefer someone who does have the experience to work on these...but do appreciate all the info I have gleemed here (otherwise wouldn't know half of what I do or fixed some of the stuff I have already) but I know when to let someone more qualified take over...like I won't even try to mess with tearing bike bike apart (shudder) to do carb work or cct's myself (cudo's to those who can) but will stick to what I feel is smarter for me lol.

Last edited by wsharpman; 05-25-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Damper set,wheel - $25.31

Honda, ATV Parts, Scooter Parts, Motorcycle Parts,CRF,CR,MX Parts, Goldwing parts
Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Harbor Freight Slide Hammer And Bearing Puller Set- Item#95987
$69.99
RONAYERS.COM
DAMPER SET, WHEEL (06410-MBB-000)
$25.88
x 2 BEARING (6204UU) (91052-MAE-004)
$16.41
DUST SEAL (91252-MAS-003)
$7.22
BEARING (6322) (91051-MAS-003)
$23.89
DUST SEAL (91253-MAE-003)
$9.51

Total $ 169.29 in parts and 1 special tool
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

thanks guys
Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Getting it done right=$300. Peace of mind=$300+, Your Life=Priceless.

Had my rear bearings done by a dealer years ago. Was on the other side of the island.
I felt slight movement and grinding on the rear. I was fortunately about 2 miles from the Honda dealer but about 110 miles from home. They took me in on the spot, was a Saturday. Their bays were all full so did mine on a stand. My race was worn to the point of having lost a few bearings. Changed all three bearings and seals. Cost came out to about $100 and about 1 hour wait. Back then they did all my tune-ups/repairs except
oil changes( I still buy all my oil and filters from them). The quoted price for the parts alone was more than that. I got a huge break.
I do my own work now and a rear stand is a very good investment, if just to lube your chain, or check your bearings... Be careful riding it with the worn bearings.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

yeah after taking it 10 miles this morning to breakfast and felt even worse I got home and am leaving it parked until parts come in.. just aint no fun when you don't feel safe. dang shame these things always seem to happen when you have plans for a great 3 day weekend's lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

You didnt just FEEL unsafe, you WERE unsafe. I would recommend against EVER getting on an unsafe bike.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You didnt just FEEL unsafe, you WERE unsafe. I would recommend against EVER getting on an unsafe bike.
yeah originally I thought I would ride it to the shop (apx20 miles away) and have it done while I waited...however after todays little trip I changed my mind and am going to have to see how I can load it onto my pickup and take it in instead.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM
MotoGP

OK good, makes me feel better that you may get your hands on the bike and load it. You should know as much about your steed as possible.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

+1, Be Safe out there. There will be the next Holiday/Memorial Day.
Life=Priceless. Ride Well/Safe.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

yeah just been sitting and playing video games online oh well next weekend she will be up and running again... Still trying to find someone around here in Georgia that can do paint and body work on the bike too been looking cause I want a really unique and custom paint job (murial style) airbrush type job.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

well got my bike back today and wow what a difference, didn't realize how much it was losing due to bad bearings and also found chain was bad had tight spots and loose spots in it...bought a really nice chain (gold) 530 and new bearings and seals in rear wheel and dampners set , she rides so smooth now and a steady grab not speratic like and even seems to be smoother shifting . Had them look at my sprockets and they were in good condition. unbelievable how much difference it makes..Oh and this chain was listed at $175. but my mechanic got it for me at $100. forget brand but was (according to him top line chain ). I know pics are important lol !!!

Attached Thumbnails can't win fer losing.-1338599356791.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Whats the scheduled replacement milage on the rear bearings anyway? Not sure if the mechanic checked the front, but my advice is if the rear's were shot, chances are the fronts could be replaced as well. If you lift your front tire off the ground and try to move it back and forth. There shouldnt be any side to side wobble, if so you know what to do.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Good to hear you are back up and running safe. Ride Well.

Quick Reply: can't win fer losing.