RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

"The battery costs what?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by socalmike

Normally I don't trust vendors but instead I go right to the source:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2...apps_specs.pdf

In this case the info matches. I forgot that maintence free batteries have a lower actual rating than their nominal rating. In this case the battery is nominally 12AH with an actual of 10AH. Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Sorry to revive an old thread, but It seemed better than starting a new one.

I just found a great replacement battery, that is cheaper than stock, and better in every way

Stock: 12 Volt, 6.5 Ah, 60 CCA
ETX14: 12 Volt, 12 Ah, 200 CCA <=== and fits in the stock battery tray!!!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPBATTAM2____

Cheaper:
http://www.abatterystore.com/commerc...d=442686900082

Even though it says it's a 14 series battery which is nominally taller than a 12, it fits even under the stock battery cover. It is about 1mm taller than the stock battery with the same width and depth and the box includes black plastic spacers to make it fit in 14 sized applications. AND ITS AGM...It's essentially a motorcycle sized Optima. The only catch is you have to bend one of the tabs on the factory battery connectors because the new one is shaped slightly different.

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 03-10-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: bayd spellin
Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Good thing you did revive it, Barry! I was in the market for a new battery and a charger... I just purchased both from your abatterystore.com link where they offer a mini 5 stage charger for $19.95 if you buy that battery from them... Chaaa-ching!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Okay, sacrilege, I carved the battery box and now the bigger battery from walmart fits.

Spins over the high compression pistons like Linda Blair's head in the Exorcist.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
so, don't hold us in suspense and let us know what you did to make it fit!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
ok so....... Scorpion agm, or yuasa stock replacement? the scorpion is cheap..... 180cca....

in reality I would prefer a cheap strong agm....

Last edited by mertechperformance; 09-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
wallmart battery here (apx $59.) works great plus I still have the other new battery I bought and it goes on the new charger ( bought with the money I saved) . Also bought me oil and filter from wally spent a total of $ 104. all's good.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

Big Shepp is on a distinguished road
I bought an Interstate for about $80. They come guaranteed from the store so it's quite a deal.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
SuperBike

How about a Lithium pack???

Daugherty Motorsports - Lightweight Lithium Motorcycle Batteries
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Dang Jamie, those prices are awesome!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Squid

dehning is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Many of the Walmart batteries are Yuasa, I wrote this article for the Hayabusa forum about this.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Bikemaster TruGel Battery - Street Bike 1998 Honda Super Hawk - Motorcycle Superstore $83.99 for a gel. Fits perfectly. Add another ten bucks to your order and get free shipping.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Dang Jamie, those prices are awesome!
No kidding! There can't be much margin on those
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Seriously people, if those prices are right, don't hesitate, get your batteries from Jamie.. $75 for a LiFEPO is cheaper than you could build one for.. Cheaper than a centuries old Lead Acid..
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Careful with Lithium batteries. It is not as simple as packaging the cells and hooking it up. They must be carefully managed and not over or under charged. When they go bad they cause hydrogen fires, not good right under your gas tank...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
kudos to Stephen_ver4.0
DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Careful with Lithium batteries. It is not as simple as packaging the cells and hooking it up. They must be carefully managed and not over or under charged. When they go bad they cause hydrogen fires, not good right under your gas tank...
2 for 2 wrong on that... No, they do not cause hydrogen fires, the Litium Ferrite chemistry is radically different from the rest of the lithium batteries lik LiPO, if they do fail, the raction is actually generally less harmfull than the average damage made by a failed SLA/AGM type battery...

If properly made, and not deep discharged, a LiFePO4 pack is virtually self balancing and a lot harder to damage by "improper charging" than the SLA/AGM type batteries... BTW, you are aware that your battery contains multiple cells, that in theory would benefit from being properly balanced... When is tha last time you balanced your battery?

I know from personal experience how well the LiFePO4 packs work... I have made and sold a few packs... And my bike has been running on a pack for 2½ year now... And I have deliberately tried to kill that pack a few times...

But then again, you could just spout of some general information instead of actually learning the difference between the Lithium type batteries... It's probably a good move...
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
the li ion packs are enticing but a bit rich for my blood, if the everstart maxx's are yuasa gonna pick one up, local and easy to warranty. better than the cheaper more pita online batts shipped even if they're a bit cheaper.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 PM
MotoGP

There are actually versions of that done here:

Lazn and Tweety put enough info in this thread for me to make one of my own (and the thing has taken some abuse, no complaints from it so far!)

Turntech battery update - SuperHawk Forum
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mertechperformance
the li ion packs are enticing but a bit rich for my blood, if the everstart maxx's are yuasa gonna pick one up, local and easy to warranty. better than the cheaper more pita online batts shipped even if they're a bit cheaper.
$75 is to rich? considering that the Yuasa's or rebranded Yuasa's will last 7-10 years, and then need replacing, the difference between $59 (which i believe someone stated the everstart cost) and that is $26... That's ridiculous... If you don't abuse that pack, it will outlast the Yuasa by twice the time, in a bike that's ridden as a daily commuter, for a weekend ride, it will probably outlast the bike and rider... Just saying...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 AM
MotoGP

Aside from the performance that these batteries have put out, don't forget that they are much lighter and noticeably smaller than a standard lead pack. If you want to shed 6 pounds for 26 extra dollars, it's probably the cheapest way of doing so short of riding without gear
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
after all I heard and personally experienced with the Superhawk problems of bad regulators and some other elect problems, I ended up getting a lifetime battery from Cycle Gear. They were offering a half off sale on them and for any reason it doesnt test good they will replace on the spot. Had a friend already get a new one on his SH.
Being that im on my third regulator. 1st was stock...went bad, bought a Mosfet reg...it too went bad, 3rd is holding for now.
As often as motorcycle batteries go bad. Itll pay for itself.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jeephawk
Had a friend already get a new one on his SH.

This is the only part that would concern me!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
MotoGP

after all I heard and personally experienced with the Superhawk problems of bad regulators and some other elect problems, I ended up getting a lifetime battery from Cycle Gear. They were offering a half off sale on them and for any reason it doesnt test good they will replace on the spot. Had a friend already get a new one on his SH.
Being that im on my third regulator. 1st was stock...went bad, bought a Mosfet reg...it too went bad, 3rd is holding for now.
As often as motorcycle batteries go bad. Itll pay for itself.
Well... If you keep puttin band-aids on the broken bones you will have trouble walking too...

Or you could just adress the underlying issue that keeps killing your R/R and batteries... A mosfet type R/R lasts a lot longer than the diode type, but you can kill it just the same if you keep trying... Just an observation...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Carquest blows. My battery was less than 3 months old and went bad (albeit due to the r/r but they don't know that). It had a 1 year warranty so I took it back. The guy told me its a pro rated warranty and that for every month it is used there is a charge, so I actually had to pay to get a replacement. Bullshit in my eyes, so I won't go back for anything from that store.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
This is the only part that would concern me!
Jamie,
I will be getting one of your Lipo 8 cell batteries before spring. Maybe even 2 of them, if I can talk my buddy with a 948 to buy one. The price is right and all things being equal, I'm all for helping a fellow forum member.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
Uh, funny how some peeps go straight to neg.
My friends SH had a bad reg go out. Before he knew about R/R
thought it was battery. Boiled that one. Fixed it then all good.
My reg went out. Bought a Mosfet as per Tweets advice that they never go bad and ended up buying a bad one off of ebay. Now on third one (non-mosfet) and all is good so far.
ok now thats done, that hopefully quiets the kids that sit in the front of class telling the teach to remember to cross her t's.............

The main point Im making is that a lifetime battery for under 80bucks.. No haggle straight replacement.. Cant be beat.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Now, I think we all know Tweety pretty well, and I would be willing to place large sums of money on the fact that he didn't say "never go bad". I think he knows far too much about the topic/s to use absolutes.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

Uh, funny how some peeps go straight to neg.
My friends SH had a bad reg go out. Before he knew about R/R
thought it was battery. Boiled that one. Fixed it then all good.
My reg went out. Bought a Mosfet as per Tweets advice that they never go bad and ended up buying a bad one off of ebay. Now on third one (non-mosfet) and all is good so far.
ok now thats done, that hopefully quiets the kids that sit in the front of class telling the teach to remember to cross her t's.............

The main point Im making is that a lifetime battery for under 80bucks.. No haggle straight replacement.. Cant be beat.
Originally Posted by autoteach
Now, I think we all know Tweety pretty well, and I would be willing to place large sums of money on the fact that he didn't say "never go bad". I think he knows far too much about the topic/s to use absolutes.
I really doubt I said "never", but you never know... It's pretty hard to kill a mosfet type R/R... It takes effort, but it's entirely possible...

The reason they very rarely fail is that it's usually the weakest component ending up taking the fall, and in 99% of the cases that's the battery... It doesn't mean however that they aren't hurting, it's just that the battery fails first, and then you start over with a new battery, soaking up the damage, so the R/R hands on a little longer...

The main reason for almost all failed R/R's, and batteries however is resistance and heat loss, mostly from corrosion, but partly due to substandard wiring... Fix that, swap in a fresh R/R and battery, regardless of type of R/R, and type of battery, and you have 10+ years of happiness... But if that's not fixed, the only difference between a mosfet and diode type R/R, is how often you replace the battery until the R/R fails...
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Or, wise up and ditch the Superhawk for something that won't strand you away from home. Just my 2 shiny pennies.

Quick Reply: "The battery costs what?"