Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Malaysian MotoGP canceled

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Malaysian MotoGP canceled

Horrible crash involving Simoncelli and Edwards in lap 2. Edwards is okay, with a shoulder injury, but Simoncelli is a question mark. Race was red flagged, then canceled.

The MotoGP website has now announced that Marco Simoncelli has succumbed to his injuries. RIP

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 10-23-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 AM
dave
Squid

yellowstorm is on a distinguished road
we are sad that another gp rider takes his last ride rip marco
Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
A sad loss indeed. Simoncelli seemed to be finding his legs this year on the competitive side of the very best racers in the world. I enjoyed watching his efforts start to pay off and as always his massive personality on and off the track. He will be missed by all.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Very very sad...last week Dan Wheldon and now this...terrible tragedies
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
well that bites! Last year i witnessed the death of peter lentz at the Indianapolis Moto GP and it is undoubtedly something that remains with you. Thankfully, in these modern times racing has become relatively safer, the exception being the IOM.

marco was doing what he loved with a passion that was obvious to anyone who watched him race. If we're honest about it, anyone of us can suffer the same demise anytime we throw a leg over. That's the risk we're willing to take to do something we love no matter how we rationalize that possibility away. The options are stay safe and die of cancer, heart attack, car wreck or overeating. **** that.

race enthusiasts who have seen this wild man on the track will miss seeing his passionate and courageous passes, but be thankful that he was able to experience doing what he loved a decade longer than peter lenz.

we're with ya marco and peter!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Marco

MotoGp lost their best and most interesting people.
RIP
Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
big loss. big loss of talent - even as huge as he was physically compared to most other top riders he was able to be competitive - just a matter of time and maturity to championship. Equally terrible has to be for Rossi - having been one of the unavoidables to crash right into his best friend. what a tragic feeling, though nothing he could have done anythign about.

Last edited by cliby; 10-23-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

My wife and I were watching the race at 1am. Simoncelli lost the front end but hung onto his bike trying to save it. Then as Ben Spies said in the announcers both, his front tire got traction, and he rocketed across the track with the bike laid down, right into the path of Edwards and Rossi. Edwards hit him straight on, unavoidable, with his bike landing on top of Marco. Rossi avoided going down and rode it out.

As Rossi continued down the track, the camera followed him, and he looked back, then crossed himself. At that point we knew it was very bad. Then the helicopter did a very quick wide shot straight down at the track, showing Marco's limp form in the middle of the track. It was horrible to watch. Edwards was just sitting on the grass infield, where he landed, staring out at the track.

After the red flag, everyone went back to the pits and waited. Then after about 20 minutes or so (it was a live feed) they announced that the race had been canceled, and Speed went to another program. Marco's fate was still unannounced at that time.

I too was a fan of Simoncelli, for his crazy character and his huge riding skills.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Marco was one of my favorite riders, and at just 2 years older than i am, he was someone I looked up to and aspired to be like.

I was fortunate to get to see him race at the Indy GP a few months ago. His Honda was so raspy it sounded on the verge of a 2 stroke

I hope this does not slow Rossi and Edwards down. It was a horrible thing to happen for everyone involved and I hope they will be able to get through it.

RIP Marco.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Truckinduc
I was fortunate to get to see him race at the Indy GP a few months ago. His Honda was so raspy it sounded on the verge of a 2 stroke
first thing i though of when i heard the news was seeing him riding on a golf cart past us through the infield at indy. every went nuts.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
RIP Marco... He was a talent, that's for sure, and I would have loved to see him a few years on with some more experience under his belt...

And my heart goes out to Edwards, who will undoubtedly blame himself, even if it was nothing he could have done...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
RIP Marco.....Not a whole lot of words that can be said. He was always fun to watch. Tweety you are right. This one will be hard for Colin to get over and past.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
R.i.p. kid,ride hard up there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
RIP Marco... He was a talent, that's for sure, and I would have loved to see him a few years on with some more experience under his belt...

And my heart goes out to Edwards, who will undoubtedly blame himself, even if it was nothing he could have done...
Having seen it twice, live and a few minutes later on replay, there was absolutely nothing Edwards could have done. Spies said they're going about 140kph (90mph) at that point on the track, and Marco came from the far outside of the turn. Colin's eyes would have been looking through the turn, and he wouldn't have seen Marco until an instant before impact.

I might add that I have no desire to see it again.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Very sad for racers and riders everywhere. I too was watching with my wife and I am sure it kinda woke her up to what I risk in the 11yrs of racing since we met. Like nath says, it is absolutely part of the game for all of us. Lost a brother that way but none of us gets outa here alive. He was doing with passion what he loved. God bless his family.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Terribly sad. It looks to me like Rossi's bike hit Simoncelli square in the head.
Both Edwards and Rossi tried to avoid contact, but they had no time and no room to do so.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, I havent seen any replays or slow motions... I saw it once, and that was quite enough... I'm pretty sure both of them will be shaken up about it...

The thing is, all of us accept that we take a risk every time we ride, double so for those us that go on a track and actually race, regardless of class/level... But the concept that you could at some point play a part in somebody elses injury or death is a whole other thing than accepting the risk to yourself...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Wow...really sad to hear. prayers to his family and friends.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
Rossi as well. It's hard to tell from the rear shot vids, but from the side still shots it looks like Colin hit Marco's bike and left leg. As killer5280 points out, it's Valle's bike which hit his head and torso.
That explains Rossi crossing himself as he rode on. He knew. I can't imagine how someone would deal with that. It's just so tragic, for the Simoncelli's and Rossi and Edwards.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well not that I want to really see this anymore but as it is being discussed.....well this is what happened.....

Malaysian MotoGP canceled-article-0-0e7ec8ac00000578-723_634x419.jpg

Though it did also look like Hayden might have clipped in the head with his back tire before this happened also....

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 10-24-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
The thing is, all of us accept that we take a risk every time we ride, double so for those us that go on a track and actually race, regardless of class/level... But the concept that you could at some point play a part in somebody elses injury or death is a whole other thing than accepting the risk to yourself...
+1
Proverbs 27:1
Marco left this world, on his own terms. Enjoying/competing for a fourth place run, on his chosen adrenaline joy.

I will miss watching his skill, and competitive,humorous character..
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Such a tragedy. My first thought, before seeing the footage was that he was probably overly aggressive and caused the accident. But this was not the case. He was finally gaining some maturity. He was an exceptionally talented and fearless rider.

It was a racing incident. He must have been able to get a load on the front tire, trying to save it, but the back kept coming around.

Condolences to his family, his loved ones, Valentino and Colin and the rest of the racers. Very sad day...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Soichiro should have said "You can fail 100 times, as long as you don't have Edwards and Rossi behind you." What, too soon?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
RIP. I know I'll miss his mug and personality.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sheldonsl
What, too soon?

Yes.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
RIP Marco...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well not that I want to really see this anymore but as it is being discussed.....well this is what happened.....

Attachment 12682
Thats the first time I saw it from that angle. The irony is unbelievable. Can you imagine what Rossi is gonna feel when he sees that pic? You couldn't write a tragedy like that if you tried. It's so true what they say that truth is stranger than fiction.

RIP Supersic
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

Tomorrow in Valencia, a tribute will be paid to Marco Simoncelli. Riders from all 3 catagories, MotoGP, Moto2, and 125, are invited to participate.

The riders will exit Pit Lane as a group, lead by Kevin Schwantz, who will be riding Marco's San Carlo Honda Gresini RC212V. They will do one lap, stopping just short of the finish line. Members of Marco's family, the Gresini crew and officials from MotoGP will gather on the other side of the finish line.