Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

GP Bike vs Superbike

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
GP Bike vs Superbike

I just started paying attention to MotoGP. Does anyone know what the average Power and Weight are for MotoGP bikes vs World Superbikes? I thought I read that the superbikes are running pretty close to the same power on a street based machine.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The Superbikes are somewhere just above 200 bhp... The MotoGP's are in the 240+ category... And there is now way in hell they are even close to stock weight...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Superstock

Cool. I love watchin GP. Its a shame its not more popular here. Same with Formula 1. Im amazed there is enough of a fan base to hold a race at Indy.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
I went to the MotoGP in Monterey two weeks ago with about 100,000 other people. The fan base is here, we just need the races and some TV coverage other than Speed Channel.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Man that's a lot of power. A buddy of mine rode a 360 whp 1k gixxer and was blown away by it. Said he got off and was scared and he's abike mechanic and rides all sorts of fun machines.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Superstock

Ive read the power on a gp bike is way different. Huge powerband and a ton of torque.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
GP bikes have a lot less torque than superbkes, because they are limited to 800 cc displacement and because they are tuned for extremely high redline, hence the high horsepower.

Being much lighter than superbikes, they carry much higher corner speeds, but don't come off corners as hard (less torque). So you have to ride them much different. that's why the 250 cc guys have an easier time making the transition. They are all about corner speed. The tire construction is very different on GP bikes, to withstand the high cornering loads and heat generation, but lower torque requirements.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Generally speaking, Superbikes are based on production machines, whereas GP bikes are factory specials...
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I wonder where the HP numbers will be for GP when they go to 1000cc next year?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
They were claiming 240+ when they were 990's, and then roughly 220-250 for the 800cc's, so I don't imagine that they will change that much. In a recent motorcycle magazine, hayden was quoted in saying that there were tracks that they couldn't go full throttle until 3/4 of the way down the straight. They are at the limit of what the rider can handle, so adding more will make it tough.

If they are going to 1000's, does that mean that motocysz will be in the running?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
If they are going to 1000's, does that mean that motocysz will be in the running?
I keep asking the same question and hoping. Motoczysz is pretty tight lipped about any chance of it right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
RK1, why is that? I dont expect a #1 finish, but they should hold their own.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I think they could be competetive since their engine config gives then advantages in the corners vs. the conventional bikes, but the cysz bike doesn't make anywhere near 240hp. or at least it didn't last time I heard. but last I heard they were breaking electric bikes at the isle of mann.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
I know we're straying a little away from the original topic, but on the subject of competitive power and small private builders in the blue riband class: I know several of the guys who worked for Bill Buckley on the BSL racer, that was the last fully private individual effort in the 500cc world champs. Wayne "Wobbly" Wright who designed their expansion chambers and porting etc also made pipes for my own Yamaha TZ racers.

The BSL was a 3-cylinder 2-stroke, that never quite qualified - down the fraction on power that made all the difference - though it was still 175hp+ at the rear wheel as I recall it.

But Wobbly told me a story that I believe to be true. Bill Buckley's machine generated a lot of interest from the factories, and high-ups were often wandering over in the pits for a look and a word.

One day, one of the Honda senior execs asked him, "Excuse me, Mr Buck-a-ree, if it not imporite: how much have you spent on deveroping this machine?"

"Ohhh, about 5 million US, out of my own funds."

"Ahhhhh, very big effort. That is what we spend each year on hospitarity."

Very hard to compete against big budgets.

Last edited by PJay; 08-09-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
And therein lies the problem; the factories have sooooo much budget, even the satellite teams get the latest trick parts and that pushes away any chance for the start ups. Even King Kenny, with this KR3 could'nt compete in the long term, and in Superbikes, neither could Foggy, with the Petronas.

At least Aprilia and Ducati are mixin' it up, as are BMW in WSB....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
Cool. I love watchin GP. Its a shame its not more popular here. Same with Formula 1. Im amazed there is enough of a fan base to hold a race at Indy.
Are you talking F1 or Indy cars? I go watch Indy cars every time they are close enough. They come to Infineon the 20th of August.