SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   GP Bike vs Superbike (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/gp-bike-vs-superbike-23376/)

pwshadow 08-03-2010 02:11 PM

GP Bike vs Superbike

I just started paying attention to MotoGP. Does anyone know what the average Power and Weight are for MotoGP bikes vs World Superbikes? I thought I read that the superbikes are running pretty close to the same power on a street based machine.

Tweety 08-03-2010 02:28 PM

The Superbikes are somewhere just above 200 bhp... The MotoGP's are in the 240+ category... And there is now way in hell they are even close to stock weight...

pwshadow 08-03-2010 02:53 PM

Cool. I love watchin GP. Its a shame its not more popular here. Same with Formula 1. Im amazed there is enough of a fan base to hold a race at Indy.

mhaisten 08-03-2010 03:15 PM

I went to the MotoGP in Monterey two weeks ago with about 100,000 other people. The fan base is here, we just need the races and some TV coverage other than Speed Channel.

uchi 08-03-2010 03:18 PM

Man that's a lot of power. A buddy of mine rode a 360 whp 1k gixxer and was blown away by it. Said he got off and was scared and he's abike mechanic and rides all sorts of fun machines.

pwshadow 08-03-2010 03:41 PM

Ive read the power on a gp bike is way different. Huge powerband and a ton of torque.

RCVTR 08-03-2010 04:13 PM

GP bikes have a lot less torque than superbkes, because they are limited to 800 cc displacement and because they are tuned for extremely high redline, hence the high horsepower.

Being much lighter than superbikes, they carry much higher corner speeds, but don't come off corners as hard (less torque). So you have to ride them much different. that's why the 250 cc guys have an easier time making the transition. They are all about corner speed. The tire construction is very different on GP bikes, to withstand the high cornering loads and heat generation, but lower torque requirements.

oahu hawk 08-03-2010 04:36 PM

Generally speaking, Superbikes are based on production machines, whereas GP bikes are factory specials...

Moto Man 08-03-2010 05:26 PM

I wonder where the HP numbers will be for GP when they go to 1000cc next year?

autoteach 08-03-2010 06:53 PM

They were claiming 240+ when they were 990's, and then roughly 220-250 for the 800cc's, so I don't imagine that they will change that much. In a recent motorcycle magazine, hayden was quoted in saying that there were tracks that they couldn't go full throttle until 3/4 of the way down the straight. They are at the limit of what the rider can handle, so adding more will make it tough.

If they are going to 1000's, does that mean that motocysz will be in the running?

Moto Man 08-04-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 276651)
If they are going to 1000's, does that mean that motocysz will be in the running?

I keep asking the same question and hoping. Motoczysz is pretty tight lipped about any chance of it right now.

autoteach 08-04-2010 03:20 PM

RK1, why is that? I dont expect a #1 finish, but they should hold their own.

swordfish 08-04-2010 03:53 PM

I think they could be competetive since their engine config gives then advantages in the corners vs. the conventional bikes, but the cysz bike doesn't make anywhere near 240hp. or at least it didn't last time I heard. but last I heard they were breaking electric bikes at the isle of mann.

PJay 08-09-2010 03:24 PM

I know we're straying a little away from the original topic, but on the subject of competitive power and small private builders in the blue riband class: I know several of the guys who worked for Bill Buckley on the BSL racer, that was the last fully private individual effort in the 500cc world champs. Wayne "Wobbly" Wright who designed their expansion chambers and porting etc also made pipes for my own Yamaha TZ racers.

The BSL was a 3-cylinder 2-stroke, that never quite qualified - down the fraction on power that made all the difference - though it was still 175hp+ at the rear wheel as I recall it.

But Wobbly told me a story that I believe to be true. Bill Buckley's machine generated a lot of interest from the factories, and high-ups were often wandering over in the pits for a look and a word.

One day, one of the Honda senior execs asked him, "Excuse me, Mr Buck-a-ree, if it not imporite: how much have you spent on deveroping this machine?"

"Ohhh, about 5 million US, out of my own funds."

"Ahhhhh, very big effort. That is what we spend each year on hospitarity."

Very hard to compete against big budgets.

CANADAVTR 08-09-2010 05:51 PM

And therein lies the problem; the factories have sooooo much budget, even the satellite teams get the latest trick parts and that pushes away any chance for the start ups. Even King Kenny, with this KR3 could'nt compete in the long term, and in Superbikes, neither could Foggy, with the Petronas.

At least Aprilia and Ducati are mixin' it up, as are BMW in WSB....

ranchomice 08-09-2010 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by pwshadow (Post 276615)
Cool. I love watchin GP. Its a shame its not more popular here. Same with Formula 1. Im amazed there is enough of a fan base to hold a race at Indy.

Are you talking F1 or Indy cars? I go watch Indy cars every time they are close enough. They come to Infineon the 20th of August.