Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

R1 Vs. Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
R1 Vs. Civic

Video
Old 02-14-2006, 03:51 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: R1 Vs. Civic

I've seen this posted elsewhere but never checked it out.

Better and sooner braking by the rider would have either avoided the accident all together or at least lessened it to a minor tag. Practice your braking techniques!

Why would you videotape yourself on the freeway?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Damn!!! There was nothing she could have done!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
I've seen this posted elsewhere but never checked it out.

Better and sooner braking by the rider would have either avoided the accident all together or at least lessened it to a minor tag. Practice your braking techniques!

Why would you videotape yourself on the freeway?
It's hard to say how much braking she did and how much distance she had, since the perception of distance is skewed by the bullet-cam.

We could say the Civic driver had lots of distance, but apparently he felt too close to the car in front of him to lock the brakes.

Without a doubt, the rider is a competent one. I've ridden with her before and she's not just some adrenaline junkie trying to show off her commute on video.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Damn!!! There was nothing she could have done!
Nothing?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
It looked like she was brakeing pretty hard and went as far over to the right as she could. Maybe she could've done it little sooner but not much and at full speed there's not much time to react. I know that feeling after she hit the ground all to well, not the same situation but the same feeling. What happened, where am I, Who the F is that talking to me? Hey that's right it was that bastard, you can see her point at the guy that did it when she's comming to.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

Oh and I don't know why she was recording maybe for just the situation that happened. Now that I've seen it it's not a bad idea, there's no lieing thier way out of video.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

i think the fish eye view that you get from the camera makes it look like they were going alot slower than they were. she seems to take the only available route out of the situation. the car on her right starts braking almost immidiately which means dodging behind that car wouldn't of been a good choice.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:20 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Not to second guess the situation, but I look far ahead when I drive, and I saw the traffic jam up ahead in the HOV lane, yet she clearly accelerated hard into the traffic. You can't expect the average rider to "steer into the crash zone" NASCAR style, which would have saved her, but you gotta think about what the other driver is gonna do when he realizes he's in a stuck lane. Again, this is all hindsight, and I probably would have been doing a wheelie.

P.S. - She only flew about 8 feet off her bike, which means she wasn't going very fast when she tagged the car. Perhaps if she went to the track day at Cresson, and learned about hard braking, she wouldn't have crashed...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
P.S. - She only flew about 8 feet off her bike, which means she wasn't going very fast when she tagged the car. Perhaps if she went to the track day at Cresson, and learned about hard braking, she wouldn't have crashed...
Ding, ding, ding.

Yup, no tire squeal or even a chirp from the R1's tires much less out of shape (rear stepping out). The bike was no where near the threshold of overbraking but I think that an impact was inevitable with the chosen route. I would have taken it too.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot
the car on her right starts braking almost immidiately which means dodging behind that car wouldn't of been a good choice.
Watch again, the two right lanes are crawling (stop/go rate). The two left lanes are the only ones moving. Rider was probably going a little too fast for the conditions but city driving will do that to you.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

Watching it again I think I might have tried to slide the rear to whip it into the left lane but you never know until it happens to you. With all the dirt riding I've done I tend to try and slide around what I can't stop in time for. I've locked both wheels before when needed and even released the front to induce a controled slide but it has to be a second nature, no thinking just do it type thing. I don't recomend this to most people as it can cause you to high side but if you do it right you can get away with it. I've even had to slide with brakes then gas hard to snap it around without wiping out hard. But I hate to second guess what happened and would hate to be in that situation, makes me think about track riding only even more.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM
MotoGP

[quote="Loco";p="16849"] Again, this is all hindsight, and I probably would have been doing a wheelie.
[quote]

LOL!!! HAHAHA! Awesome!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, this brings back frightful memories.
It appears she started braking hard as the Honda crossed the line. The noise of the squealing tires may have distracted her for a moment before she realized what was happening. The shadow of the bike shows it slide a bit to the left then move right as her head turns right. Luckily she was not further ahead or she would have been sandwiched between both cars. Both the bike and Honda are moving much faster than the traffic around them. Considering any one of the vehicles to the right could pull out, squirting the gap was not the smartest idea Panic braking and nearly 360ing is not a swerve. If he had just swerved she might have been able to stop in time. And what the hell took him so long to get out of the car? I guess he had to stash his crack pipe.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
MotoGP

Crack pipe! Yeah he clearly can't drive, even IF he had to brake hard there was NO reason to get out of control.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

I am with Loco, I would have just wheelied and jumped the ***** fuc ka ....LOL...................yeah right....for truly I am a badass in my own mind...lol
Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

The aged old forgetful one found this while stumbling around the internet with his cane

Dawn's post accident analysis:
http://www.smoothcurvesracing.com/fo...opic.php?t=304

Check out the bike damage pics when you're there